Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A little Story about my luck
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

So I am having the body work done and fresh paint all over. Found a guy that came highly recommended by several people. I looked at some of his work and it is fantastic. Agreed on the price and he said it would take 2 months. Dropped of in November. I still do not have the car back. The guy was kicked out of the house he was renting and decided he was just not going to finish the job. Best of all he still has not told me I found out from a friend of his. So I have a car that is all torn apart with almost all of the work done and setting at a friends house. Now I found a guy that will finish it but he did not tear it down and did not do most of the work. They are also fantastic painters so I just hope it is done soon. KTE 2016 is getting closer and I want to have it there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Boy, that's rough!

While it sounds like it will be painted right from what you know and say, I hope it gets put back together correctly. Everyone has their own system of tearing down and rebuilding. Having two different folks at either end makes it scary and difficult to assign liability if it comes to that.

I sure it hope it works out for you.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

I had a 914 some 28 years ago that I dropped off at an established local body shop with an estimate for one month to complete. Five months later they had done most of the work, just paint on the rockers left and a couple other details, just couldn't seem to get around to finishing it. I got so frustrated I finally told them I was taking it as is, how much for work done so far? They finished it overnight, I picked it up the next day. Hopefully you can work it out keep at it, but don't be pushed around it's your car. Sometimes you have to salvage things as best you can. I'm really looking forward to KTE it will be my first.
lqqkatjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Bummer. I have felt your pain, however my story ended up with me owning the Thing.

my 85 Grand Wagoneer was t-boned, I must have found the same paint/body guy as you and he was going to take 3 weeks to replace the doors, rear rockers and re-shoot the paint on the jeep for one heck of a good price.

7 months of chasing him down, suckered into giving him more money down so he could buy a new welder because his died, finding he was kicked out of a shop and house, started a new shop. Had my jeep in a mini-storage for 6 weeks. He was a pathological lier, trying to cover his butt, even telling me one time he had to store my jeep in Iowa(like 6 hours south)? He even toward the end dropped it off at a frame rack guy after he could not get the doors to align, and 2 weeks of hounding I found out he did not have money to pay the frame guy and that work had been done 2 weeks earlier. (I paid frame guy direct)... he just did enough work for me to not take the jeep back each time we crossed paths, and the fact I did not want a tore apart 1/2 sanded jeep project back, I kept dealing with the guy.

7 months later, he wanted more money. the jeep was supposed to be done by the end of that day and i was to pick it up. he called again wanted one more day to get it back together, and a few other excuses, and told him I would finish it and was not going to pay the the money, and was on my way to pick it up as discussed previously. He argued and pushed that i owed him more money, but when I arrived to pick up the jeep and expect to have a showdown, or be locked out of his shop, the jeep was sitting out side with keys in it, and and he was not around. He had a note that said to put the money in the glovebox of the car next to it. I drove away and never looked back, and never heard from him again.

the jeep actually looked pretty dang good for what I paid for the paint job/repair. It was not a perfect repair job, but that jeep should of been junked. I had to find a new roof rack, fix the power windows and locks on the doors he installed, and a few other missing pieces to complete it. (stuff he claimed again he needed more time to do)

Anyway, I did not trust the final product, so I sold it, and bought my VW thing project with the money.

so I am pretty wary now about Autobody people, especially if they claim they can do the work at 50% other places are asking. this story is way too common and most people do not come out as well as I did.
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

I once dropped off a Fiat 124 convertible at a repair shop I'd used for a decade. The original desire was for them to properly tune the car, and to replace the timing belt and a balky steering box, and put urethane bushings into the suspension. I made the mistake of saying I wasn't in a hurry. They parked it in the corner of their shop, working on it when they had time. They'd call me every month or two to tell me what they had done, and what parts they'd need (some of which I had in my garage, and some of which I'd buy on ebay or elsewhere). After a year, they pronounced the car done. After a test drive, I was amazed at how tight and great the car ran. I was a little shocked when I asked for the bill, however. I was expecting a $1000+ bill, and the bill presented was for $72. They told me that they felt so bad about having the car for a year, they only charged me for the timing belt change. I couldn't convince them to give me a "real bill", which I would have been happy to pay.
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

It is just hard to take when you have been fair with them and he was not the cheapest but did darn good work on what cars i looked at. I had a garage in my younger days with 5 mechanics working for me and we did not let cars set. Time is money and you don't get paid until the job is done. I guess some folks just don't have the same work ethic. The guys working on it now have been giving me updates and I think they will do as good or better than the other guy. I am getting excited to get it back. Still no date on when but I hope it is soon. Never missed a car so much. Crazy I know. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Way too many stories along these lines and plenty where folks even lose their vehicles in real crappy situations......

You mentioned work ethic..... Or lack thereof. Ethics are lost these days.. Along with integrity and honor.... At least for many of society.

Sad days. Rolling Eyes

But, you will have a good ending and your Thing will be awesome!! Positive vibes!! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

gblair wrote:
Never missed a car so much. Crazy I know. Laughing

Crazy or not I know how you feel. Glad to hear things are looking up! Smile
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

It must be the solvents.
Every car painter I've ever known was a little quirky; except for one guy, and he's on this forum Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Geez, what bad luck. Didn't you have a problem with an engine rebuild too?
Just need to get through the rough times to the good times ahead when it's done.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Never, never, never tell a painter to take his time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Yes I had a problem with the engine. They put the case in the wrong tank and eat it up. That is just how my luck goes.

I bought what I thought was a good carburetor paid the extra money. The darn car will not run right with that thing on it. changed the jets, adjusted and tinkered finally bought a used one and rebuilt it the car drives great. That is just my luck.

Bought new tires, made sure they could balance before I took them in even told them if they can not balance them do not change them. They could balance but went ahead and changed them and put in the balancing beads. They just did not work for me. Shimmy would come and go. Had to pay extra to have a different place remove them and balance the tires.

I could go on and on but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. At least until the next adventure begins Smile
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

painful! I had a sweet 1952 Gibson electric guitar I took to a well know established consignment shop when money was badly needed. The guy sold it, and when I went by to get the cash,,,the shop was closed on order of the court. The dud was selling dope out of the place and ripped off all his current customers.

I lost that guitar, and never got a nickle when I really needed it. Life can slap you in the face hard sometimes. Makes you stronger in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:

Ain't that the truth!! Or Any mechanic for that matter....... Wink Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Yes don't ever tell a mechanic to take his time and don't pay any money for labor until the job is done. That's why Ron and I don't want any money until the job is done . Paying money ahead of time takes the incentive away to finish the job. Pay for parts only ahead of time
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Ron Domeck wrote:

Ain't that the truth!! Or Any mechanic for that matter....... Wink Rolling Eyes

Boy, I've learned that the hard way -- even from the shop I have frequented since 1988 (although it's now under new management). Embarassed
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Well KTE 2016 seems to be fading away for me this year. I just don't think they will get it done. Unless a miracle happens this weekend.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

Keep the faith Gerald!
Miracles happen every day. You just need to see 'em.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

I hope it works out man, I know you want to get it to the show!

I had similar luck with my 66 Mustang, nothing worked out like I wanted to (that anyone did for me).

Good luck with it and keep on em about it!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A little Story about my luck Reply with quote

No Miracles this weekend. Well at least with this car. Did get word that we are having a furlough where I work so a week off without pay at the end of the June. I took the following week off for vacation. If it gets painted before that it will give me two full weeks to work on it. I am keeping the faith that it might make it to KTE 2016. Guess I have to look on the bright Side of things Orange 181 Orange 181 Orange 181 Brick wall Brick wall
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: