Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do people get random texts like I do??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

I usually get texts and calls from numbers extremely close to my phone number, with the same prefix (first 3 numbers) I always answer ALL phone calls and texts regardless because of one of my jobs, if I don't know them, I just hang up or don't reply.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I usually get texts and calls from numbers extremely close to my phone number, with the same prefix (first 3 numbers) I always answer ALL phone calls and texts regardless because of one of my jobs, if I don't know them, I just hang up or don't reply.

A suggestion:
Never say "hello" a second time in response to silence after your first "hello." Computer dialers use speech recognition to detect this, and then they KNOW your number is answered by a human (not an answering machine), and then they will sell your number to others, and the spam calling goes way up. One "hello" is enough... if they misdialed they will say something to hang up. If it's a machine it will start "talking" to you, or continue to wait for YOU to speak. Ignoring it makes it go away.

Or answer "FBI Spam Hotline, how may I help you?"
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

I remember when I got my current number I had a bunch of friends/family trying to get a hold of Brandon this guy did not let anyone know he changed his number and some would really be insistent that I was Brandon "No I'm not , click , delete, block. I looked the guy up and he was some collage baseball player on a SoCal team. Years latter I started getting more calls but this time they were from Banks and collection agencies, I guess the baseball thing did not work out and Brandon was not paying his bills etc etc........

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

A suggestion:
Never say "hello" a second time in response to silence after your first "hello." Computer dialers use speech recognition to detect this, and then they KNOW your number is answered by a human (not an answering machine), and then they will sell your number to others, and the spam calling goes way up. One "hello" is enough... if they misdialed they will say something to hang up. If it's a machine it will start "talking" to you, or continue to wait for YOU to speak. Ignoring it makes it go away.

Or answer "FBI Spam Hotline, how may I help you?"
I always answer Nihua! for most numbers I don't know.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

Quote:
he was some collage baseball player on a SoCal team

maybe Brandon Crawford, played for UCLA in 06-08 ish...now he is the short stop for the SF Giants. He has a 6 year $75 M contract. Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I don't do texts..

Yep, same here, my phone is attached to the wall in my Kitchen, it does not have screen, I guess that is why I don't get texts..... Confused Laughing
I have had someone tell me they could text me pics of a Vw I was calling about, I asked to have them e-mail the pics, they couldn't do that..... Question
I guess they were not in a hurry to sell the car.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
johnnywheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I don't do texts..

Yep, same here, my phone is attached to the wall in my Kitchen, it does not have screen, I guess that is why I don't get texts..... Confused Laughing
I have had someone tell me they could text me pics of a Vw I was calling about, I asked to have them e-mail the pics, they couldn't do that..... Question

Keeping it old school, I respect that Very Happy
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

johnnywheels wrote:
crukab wrote:
Cusser wrote:
I don't do texts..

Keeping it old school, I respect that Very Happy

E-mailing pics is old school?
Heck, I still have the film developed and then put the prints in an envelope and send them via USPS.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

This seems uncommon to me because:
Most people who can text pics can email pics too, through their phone.
It's sort of the same procedure...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
crukab wrote:

Not if you're a luddite, like me, with a stupid phone. I can snap a lousy pic and send it text but wouldn't have a clue how to get it from my phone to my computer. I know lots of guys like that. If I need to send decent pics I get my wife to take them and send them. I'm the wrench and she's the nerd. Works well for us.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

so....whats your number? Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink
I keep getting text saying all my data is used.......wtf I thought I was buying new unused data Shocked so shouldent they give me a discount for selling me used data?? Confused
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
crukab wrote:

Not if you're a luddite, like me, with a stupid phone. I can snap a lousy pic and send it text but wouldn't have a clue how to get it from my phone to my computer. I know lots of guys like that. If I need to send decent pics I get my wife to take them and send them. I'm the wrench and she's the nerd. Works well for us.

Ok, I understand.

I was thinking text+photo = full smart phone, in which case most people who do that can use the smart phone to email too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

How much easier could it be? If you have either android or iPhone you take a pic send it to any email address including yours and you have that photo. Now send that to your printer and you have that old school photo in your hand. First you have to join the 21st century and that's hard for some folks I know Very Happy think of all the pics you could be taking of family,friends etc. good pics hi resolution like this spur of the moment one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
How much easier could it be? If you have either android or iPhone you take a pic send it to any email address including yours and you have that photo. Now send that to your printer and you have that old school photo in your hand. First you have to join the 21st century and that's hard for some folks I know Very Happy think of all the pics you could be taking of family,friends etc. good pics hi resolution like this spur of the moment one.

Dom't need a phone, thats obsolete every 18 months, and costs 100's of dollars, then there's the rip off cost of gigs.. How come you have a stone age 009 distributor instead of a high tech ignition set up? Or at least an SVDA from the bronze age. Wink

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Dom't need a phone, thats obsolete every 18 months, and costs 100's of dollars, then there's the rip off cost of gigs.. How come you have a stone age 009 distributor instead of a high tech ignition set up? Or at least an SVDA from the bronze age. Wink

Bill

I can justify the phone as we have aging family members living out of state, it's nice to be available at all times comforts them as well. The 009 is attached to the car I bought as is last summer. The photo was really more to show the resolution of the camera of pics taken on the fly. I was here on samba over 11 years before I posted the first photo because I didn't know how. Now that I can post photos it's a lot more fun and could be of use to others here. Like this one.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

Back on topic I could send the Nigerian prince a very nice 10 megapixel photo of my middle finger in response to the crazy text messages.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I was thinking text+photo = full smart phone, in which case most people who do that can use the smart phone to email too.

You can send the pics to email with a stupid flip phone. I do it all the time.
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

A couple years ago this girl from Canada started texting me thinking it was her BF's number. How she got it wrong, I have no clue, since we are talking completely different area codes, not even similar to mine. So I pretended to be Brodie for a couple days. I even got her to send me a picture of "us" to remind me how beautiful she was haha. She was a cute girl, probably could have found a better guy though. I even started inviting her over to his house or telling her that I was coming over later, I'm sure that made his life interesting. She finally caught on by day four and quit texting me. She even told me that I was acting so different than I normally did at one point, but still didn't catch on then.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

I have a flip phone....but still cant figure out how to post pics.....the wife tried to add a avatar to me....cant figure out that either.toosmall kb's. and...I have one of them 009 thingys in my car too.it seems to work fine, but I dont know why it does.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do people get random texts like I do?? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I have a flip phone....but still cant figure out how to post pics.....the wife tried to add a avatar to me....cant figure out that either.toosmall kb's. and...I have one of them 009 thingys in my car too.it seems to work fine, but I dont know why it does.

Email it to me if you want an avatar added
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: