Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
czar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A082 or "A0" 82, but then 82 doesn't match the 5-digit pattern with two-digit day of month, two digit month, one digit year. Need help identifying this code, halp! thanks!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Ah yes, an AO gearbox. I too have an AO trans, swingaxle, and tried to see what kind of info I could find on it. What I found was little information, and what there was tended to be contradictory... quite often there was also associated vehement arguement to the effect that the O isn't part of the letter code and is actually a zero beginning the number portion of the trans code. Anywho... your trans code isn't just AO82, you can see another 8 to the right of the 2 after a small space as well as possibly more faint numbers further on.

The info I put the most faith in lists the AO trans as being used in Type 1's with a 1600 from 1970-1972, gear ratios being 3.80/2.06/1.26/0.89 first through fourth, and a 4.125 final drive ratio.
czar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

If the "zero" is part of the date then it would follow that was from the 8th day of... February in 1978 (yes that last digit is an 8 to the right)? But it doesn't follow the pattern for two digit month then, a bit confusing if that's the case. Interesting.

I noticed that "O" might look more like a zero than the letter "O". If you sure this matches an "AO" I can work with that, unless there is another explanation for what this is --I'm mostly just trying to match what's in there, and the code should be precise --or so I thought.

The transmission is for dune buggy so it definitely doesn't follow just looking at the year/frame/history of the vehicle. Maybe the AO model/ratios are a good choice either way?

Thanks for the help!!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Prior to 1969 model year there was only one letter, A. After that came the two letter codes followed by a sequence number. It wasn't until early in the 1973 model year that the numbers became the date of manufacture.

Your trans number is A 0,828xxx If you look further to the right on the same pad, there will be 3 more digits.

When VW went over 9,999,999 in the trans code, they went to 0,xxx,xxx. That is what you have.

Your gearbox is a long axle swing axle, 12V, made late in the 1968 model year.
With a 4.12 R&P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
czar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Super helpful, thank you.

Perhaps this post will help others as well.
jramer2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Ok guys I'm new to the site but I'm having similar troubles. I have a bug tranny that is in a buggy that I recently purchased that needed a good amount of work. It did not have any brake components installed and I am looking to determine the year to get the correct brake shoes etc. the serial number I have is A0927833. This is an A-Zero number as it is not out of a karmann ghia. Any help would be appreciated.

Also. It is an IRS. If that matters.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

You need to look at the backing plates to determine what brakes you need. These are easily swappable from one transaxle to the next. I've got a '63 transaxle with oval window brakes on it.
jramer2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Thanks, so what are some identifiable features of the backing plate? or is there a different number that I should be looking for?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

If some parts are still haning on the bare backing plate it is easier to check. 1968 and newer Bug and Super Beetle all have the same rear brakes. They have 40 mm wide shoes. 1965-1967 have brakes like the '68 up but they are 30mm wide. 1958-1964 have slightly different 30mm wide brakes. The wheel cylinders and adjusters are different. The key difference between these and later brakes is that the backing plates have only 1 resting spot for each brake shoe, instead of 3 for each shoe in the later systems.

I was hoping someone had picture links for the different backing plates, that is a pain to do on a cell phone. If you can post a picture of your backing plate I bet me or someone else could ID them.
jramer2222
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long to reply back. Life happens I guess 🤔. I am still working to determine the year of my trans/backing plate. So here is the picture of the backing plate that I was able to get. Also, I was considering just scrapping the drums and getting a disc conversion. Any thoughts on that? What would I need to know to purchase a kit like that? Thanks for all the help so far. You guys are the best!

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Identify this transmission code? Beetle swing-axle Reply with quote

You need to rebuild your brakes using 1968 to 1979 parts. The holes in the backing plate to inspect and adjust give it away. A quick double check would be to put a front shoe against the backing plate and in the wheel cylinder and adjuster slots. It should easily lay flat against the backing plate with the shoe face parallel to the drum friction face.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: