Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Ocressa Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
looks like early type 3 shifter to me ?

It doesn't to me, early Type 3 shifters are not curved up high like that.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Four lug wheels were first offered on 1966 type 3's. Check the date stamps.
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Dual-port heads first came on Beetles and Ghias (type 1); and Buses (type 2) for the 1971 model year, which started production in 8/1970. But the type 3 received them for the 1967 model year (@8/1966), with the US models having dual single-barrel Solex 32PDSIT carbs. In '68 US type 3 got fuel injection as standard equipment. So Oettinger could've purchased DP heads in late '66 for his experimentation and eventual offer in his dual-carb kits.

At first glance your intake manifolds looked like single-ports, but you wrote that you felt the wide dual-port manifold design.

The VW1600TL was introduced in Europe in August 1965 (1966MY) with dual port heads.
I am curius about this engine bacause I have never seen a "historic" intake matchning Okrasa three bolt heads with NDIX.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Tobiasax- yes- you're right; even though I thought about the first date of the DP heads I missed by a year. 1966 model year for the US Type 3.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:
looks like early type 3 shifter to me ?

It doesn't to me, early Type 3 shifters are not curved up high like that.

It's a Porsche 911/912 Knob, the rest looks Porsche too, but they are nothing like a VW in how they attach or function so it can't be. My guess - Porsche 911/912 shifter cut and welded to stock VW bottom piece
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

parts book shows first dual port head was 311101355D on engine T0244544, which according to the VIN list in here was made in June 1966, so only the last two months of the 66 model year had the dual port heads

Now going back to the Okrasa car here, I wonder which cylinder head tins were used on dual port conversions before 1971, since there was no "correct" factory dual port type 1 tins until then!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
Now going back to the Okrasa car here, I wonder which cylinder head tins were used on dual port conversions before 1971, since there was no "correct" factory dual port type 1 tins until then!

I'm going to guess that they hacked them open
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
parts book shows first dual port head was 311101355D on engine T0244544, which according to the VIN list in here was made in June 1966, so only the last two months of the 66 model year had the dual port heads

You're right. My bad.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

The shifter was available as an aftermarket accessory. Rob, the owner prior to me, had a few NOS units, though the one is the car came with it. The knob is pretty much identical to C and 911-2's. The OG shifter is cut down and a coupler is used to secure the new shifter to the stub. They can also be used as shifter extensions in a Bus. My 70 Dormobile had one when I got it (from the original owners). The coupler in the Bus actually has a VW logo on it.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the upper tins and how they were modified. It's so damn tight in there! I can't even feel the inner studs on the manifolds.

The plan is to put a motor together and get it up and running by Fall. It will likely remain a mystery until then.

Here's a couple more shots that may be of interest.

Is this a Kamei accessory? I recall seeing something similar in the past.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All of this stuff was in the car!

This is what you want to see under the hood!

I just noticed the dual horns the other day.

Haven't had the time to investigate this either. Any ideas?

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

old school alarm?

GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
old school alarm?

Agreed.
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Question I wonder if the 1st owner had the car mod'd for rally events. They were big over here at that time. I like the zenith set-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
old school alarm?

I was thinking the same. Further investigation to come.
Colorado Springs
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Any updates on this?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest.

I haven't had a chance to do any work on the Ocressa.

On a sadder note, some little jackass in the neighborhood stole my lawnmower and put a big rock through the windshield. I have a name...

I'll be sure to post updates as work is completed.
Colorado Springs
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

sucks about the windshield

was looking through the accessory catalogs and spotted this - the shifter

Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

That's the one! Nice find.

Now I just need and altimeter and a 'beautiful clock'. Very Happy
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

I can't believe I haven't updated this thread since 2016. This Beetle has been sitting on the side of my shop untouched since then. I recently sold off most of my projects and I've decided to dig into the Ocressa and get it back on the road.

I've picked up some parts along the way when I was inspired to work on the car. Though not 'vintage speed' per se, I now have a set of CB, wide-five discs as well as dropped spindles and the parts needed to narrow the front 2". I also picked up some used Flat 4 BRMS's which I intend on running. I really like the look of the 60's race cars that used BRM's prior to making the switch to disc's.

Though I plan on going through the Okrasa at some point, I have a built motor I'm going to run in order to get it back on the road that will be in the spirit of vintage speed.
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Ocressa Beetle Reply with quote

I started with removing the beam. This car is so loaded with wacky accessories, it never fails to surprise.

This piece of carpet was slated for the garbage can but it makes a nice mat to lay on while working on the car. I imagine the original owner likely did the same thing when it came to roadside repairs.

I pulled the spare and found this laying in the bottom of the tire well:

Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: