Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

I'm on a really tight budget and so I have the purple harbor freight gun (the one that gets mostly good reviews) - to shoot my single stage topcoat paint. It has a 1.4mm tip.

I recently purchased a second one for shooting primer, it's slightly different - a different shade of purple and not quite as nice looking as my first one (less of a machined look, cast knobs etc). Anyway I bought it after watching a youtube video where a guy modded one by drilling out the tip to 1.9mm. I did this mod to mine and shot my first coat of epoxy primer. It actually did pretty well.. except I did have a few major runs. I think it'll be great for poly high build surfacer.

I was watching a video of Kevin Tetz shooting eastwood's epoxy primer (which is what I'm using) and he quickly mentions that he's using a 1.3mm gun !! I go and look at my epoxy's tech sheet and it recommends a 1.4-1.8mm tip. I guess I read enough threads about having a separate gun for primer with a large tip opening, that I didn't bother to check my tech sheet. Listen at the 2:30 mark of this video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21QACpotsA

Has anyone here used a 1.4mm to shoot epoxy? Any chance of it not glogging the tip? The epoxy is actually a lot thinner than I thought it would be once mixed (1:1 with the activator as recommended). Thoughts?

Doug C
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

If the tech sheets says 1.4 is fine then its fine. That's why they have tech sheets.

You will have to slow down your technique a bit which is probably better for first timers. Also make sure your volume knob is all the way out.

The last few times I shot epoxy is was with a 1.4 tip. You are not going to clog anything with epoxy...unless you don't clean the gun and it cures inside of it.

The hi build finitely needs something bigger.
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
... Also make sure your volume knob is all the way out.

Yea, that makes since now that you mention it. Which begs the question - would closing the volume knob a bit (on my 1.9 tipped primer gun) have helped get less runs, on my first try? I had it opened pretty good. Sorry, it's a learning curve with this stuff - I am enjoying the process though and appreciate the help.

Doug C
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

Painting without is a mix of volume and speed (and flash, and mixing ratio, and temperature, and and and...).

I can get a run on high build with a 1.4 tip if I tried.

if you increased your speed you probably would not have gotten a run. or you could have turned down the volume with the speed you used.

Just a quick question...if you already shot the high build why are you asking epoxy related questions now?
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

no.. i shot 1 coat of epoxy primer (dtm) on the bare steel and got runs, not high build. i let it dry and rubbed out the runs, followed by a total going over w/ a red pad. i am now ready for 2nd epoxy coat.

just saying that my modded gun will be good for high build when the time comes.

Doug C
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

Ah...got ya. I thought you might have reversed the process.

Why the second coat of epoxy?
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use a 1.4 tip for epoxy primer ? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
...Why the second coat of epoxy?

Well, the eastwood tech sheet recommends 2 medium wet coats and I was only able to shoot the first one before leaving for a planned family birthday party and an immanent evening of thunderstorms. So I needed to at least get it in epoxy for the protection. I rushed but I certainly got plenty on there, lol. Now I've rubbed through the first coat of epoxy primer in a few places removing some runs. I've passed the 5 day window and want to get the benefit of a chemical bond with my filler, etc.

BTW, scuffing the 6-day cured eastwood epoxy primer with a red scotchbrite was MUCH easier than I expected! That red pad is enough for a recoating if need be - and now I am not afraid of it curing in places if I don't get my filler work completed. Oh and I have decided against skim coating the entire car (came to my since's !)

I know that was more than was asked.. sorry.

Doug C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: