Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement engine
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
facel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Hi

i'm new on this forum. I bought several weeks ago a Porsche 356C coupe.
The car is matching number except the engine, that is stamped ATxPx733208
I didn't find a lot of explanation about the meaning of this VIN

AT seems to be for an engine replacement. But was it a factory or a dealer replacement ?
Obviously, the original VIN number has been erased. All other markings also have been removed. This is for me the clue that it's an angine providing from another car that was reconditionned.
Notice the stars have been replaced by a "X". Does somebody still have seen that kind of marking ?
The highest range attributed to a 616/15 engine is 733028 -> 733197. My engine has number 733208
Did Porsche factory continue to attribute higher numbers to replacement engines ?

Any information is welcome

Thanks in advance

Jean-Luc

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tom coughlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: replacement engine Reply with quote

The factory did use AT for later replacement engines (and KD for earlier ones). The only way to know if the factory replaced the engine is if it is stated on the certificate of authenticity, so you need to get a COA.
The ridge above Made in Germany is not usually there, so this engine appears to have had the original engine number ground off and the new one put on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: replacement engine Reply with quote

Judging from the marks on the case it looks like the original number was removed with a flycutter. Hmmm...wonder why?
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement engine Reply with quote

It wasn't a VIN - it was just an engine serial number.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement engine Reply with quote

facel6 wrote:
The highest range attributed to a 616/15 engine is 733028 -> 733197. My engine has number 733208
Did Porsche factory continue to attribute higher numbers to replacement engines?

There are documented replacement 1600 Normal (616/1) engines with numbers in the high 75000s.
Joey2face
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Your local parts store would give a better answer
Craig Richter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Jean Luc,
I hope you got a good deal, and it's a nice car, because that motor number is about as bogus as they come.
dougdadmac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Porsche engines replaced at the factory had KD numbers,replaced at dealer had AT numbers. For years you could buy a complete engine from Stoddards and they were AT engines. Factory rebuilt but sold or installed by dealers. Sorry but your stampings are NOT Porsche.
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Hi Jean-Luc, is there a 5-digit number stamped on the bolt boss opposite the 616/15 stamping? If so, what is it? Perhaps something like 86000? If there is a number there, it means the engine was assembled at the Porsche factory as a complete unit. Porsche called this the "internal number". I suspect it may have this number, as the engine number area was ground off, so it was very likely an engine with a different number originally.

If it does not have this number, then it would be a replacement case that was never built up into a complete engine at the factory.
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

I have a few blocks, motors. It would be nice if guys could maybe find there original motors with numbers out there in 356 hoarder twilight zone.

It would be great if there was a free site that would be very popular for us 356 guys.

Did the registry thing back in the 80's 90's but many guys get tired of paying.

What is the most popular site in 2016 for 356's.

For my Passat TDI I use TDIclub.com. There is 200 - 500 guys on it at any given time. You can ask a question and have 5 guys give you a answer in hours or use there search box. That site owner makes $$$ of the ads.

Too bad there is not a 356 only popular website instead of several small sites ?
Rusty Tubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Justin runs a great site and has dedicated areas for the 356.

www.abcgt.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement engine Reply with quote

Rusty is very correct regarding the dedicated and very friendly 356 forum www.abcgt.com website.

It was formed by Justin Rio around four years ago and is free of any charge to join up. If you have any questions or need advice then this site is the one to visit.

Have look on and at some of the restoration attempts by its members, or the various 356 subjects that are covered.

You can't go wrong really, and like this super Samba site I learn new things all the time about a car I have been driving since the 1960's.

See you there I hope.

Roy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: