Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NORRA 1000 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Here is the lone Thing to enter this year's NORRA 1000 race in Baja this year. Nice car! Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is running the new 35" BFG race tires.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Extended front door, fat B pillars, longer rockers...... Looks great!
I bet it rides like a dream!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Apparently this is how his race ended. Crying or Very sad

ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Oh man that sucks.

My buddy had just sent me the pre-sticker pick on Instagram... now I am sad!
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

I just got back from the race, and that WAS a nice car! I had him in front of my the first morning, and It was doing really great! I told my co rider, he was driving the wheels off that THING!!
I heard that the crash was a road rage, coming from the thing driver!
He got into the car in back of him, because he would not move over on the track.
This was on a TRANSIT to La Paz, Really very unnecessary!! The other car also rolled! All were ok! very lucky! stupid hurts!!!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Lol, can't fix stupid... He sure showed that guy, by trying to bully him outta the way.... Rolling Eyes

I'm sure it's not too far gone.... Flip it over, check the oil and drive it!! Lol
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

liken127 wrote:
I just got back from the race, and that WAS a nice car! I had him in front of my the first morning, and It was doing really great! I told my co rider, he was driving the wheels off that THING!!
He got into the car in back of him, because he would not move over on the track.
This was on a TRANSIT to La Paz, Really very unnecessary!! The other car also rolled! All were ok! very lucky! stupid hurts!!!

Really stupid to do it on the transit stage. I can see nerfing a car in the race section that doesn't move over, but in the transit stage is the sign of a true moron. Maybe the NORRA organizers will ban him from future races?

Here is the other car (looks like a truggy with the solid rear axle):
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

For us race ignorant folks, what's the difference in a race stage and a Transit stage? Question
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

The NORRA 1000 is a rally race held in Baja to allow vintage and now newer desert race vehicles to compete over four days from Ensenada to Cabo. Each day there are race sections called "Special Stages" that are timed. Inbetween or after these sections are transit stages that are not scored for time but do have target times and maximum allowable times in which to complete. From my understanding NORRA gives plenty of time for the vehicles to complete the transit sections. If the 181 car was hitting the truggy to pass (called nerfing in desert racing) in a race section, most of the time it isn't a problem as long as it isn't "abusive". To nerf another car in a non race or transit section should get you banned.
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

shoyrtt, Yes you are right, NORRA allows plenty of time for the transit.
Our team got some pictures of the Thing on the trailer at our hotel.
I will try to post them in the next few days. don't think there are only going to roll it over Joe!! It was a mess! felt sorry for the guy until I hear to story.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Thank you for the edumacation! It's always good to learn something new!

Sounds like this goofball got a taste of Karma.... Rolling Eyes Glad everyone was ok.

Poor "Thing" though..... Crying or Very sad
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

I was at a meeting this week and ran into a few guys who were there just after the accident. Apparently the 181 was passing the truggy and the road narrowed. Their tires got tangled up and you see the result. The Thing was pulled out with a crane and was pretty messed up according to the reports.
Parker_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

[ If the 181 car was hitting the truggy to pass (called nerfing in desert racing) in a race section, most of the time it isn't a problem as long as it isn't "abusive". To nerf another car in a non race or transit section should get you banned.]

Actually nerfing is strictly prohibited in NORRA and will get you disqualified from the race, this was made very clear in the drivers meeting. That being said I guess I should introduce myself, my name is John and I am the owner of the THING in pictures above. Road rage nor nerfing had any part in this accident, my car was built as a prerunner / play car the front bumper wasn't built to nerf and with $ I have invested in the front lights I have no interest in doing so. My front bumper doesn't have a mark on it even after landing upside down. What does have marks from the truggy is the passenger side of my car as far as the road being to narrow to pass we waited for on coming traffic to clear us before we attempted to pass safely. I think if you look at the pictures of truggy on it's side you can clearly see a yellow line separating two way traffic. We were in his dust for several miles at the end of the special and had tried to pass several times but couldn't get around him. No big deal, in the 3days and nearly 1200 miles of racing we had passed and been passed dozens of times without an issue this was going to be no different. This is a fun race and our goal was to finish not to race anyone team especially one that wasn't even in our class.
The long and short of what happened is... We were passing a car on a two lane highway when for whatever reason the other car decided he would change lanes and brake, when I asked the driver why he did that? He said " I didn't see you" I'd expect this driving on the 10fwy every day " traffic monitors" but not in this race. As to us being "Banned" we were interviewed by NORRA officials regarding the accident and were encouraged to fix the car and come back next year.
For you that are more interested in the fate of the THING rather than my essay of what went down. The car seems to be fine structurally other than the rear arms and a small section of tube that was dented by a rock. The heart break is the body but at least only the rear was damaged heavily and I picked up body parts today from small car connection.[/quote]
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

That stinks but I am glad everyone is ok from the accident and you are in the process of rebuilding to get back out there and have some more fun!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

Welcome John...

It's good to hear a first hand account of the incident, and not just here say...
Sounds like this wasn't a road rage situation, nor a goofball action(on your part)..
I'd sure be suspect of why this other car changed lanes and braked when you were approaching them.... Pretty odd. Although I'm sure everyone knows there's the way things should be(rules) and the way things are(reality)...

Anyway, glad everyone is ok, and the Thing will live on.

Hope to see more of it!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

John, Thanks for replying on the crash. Your car was working very good! We were behind you on the 1st. day, until you had to get out before San Quintin.
We were also in your dust trying to get by! I know it gets frustrating! It is a fun race, It's hard to get the SCORE racing out of your head! This is our 3rd year doing this and we are still learning the rules. I talked to the truggy guys at our hotel. I think they're not sure what happened either! Thanks for the post, Hope you guys are back next year.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

liken127 wrote:

Parker_Bum wrote:

Actually nerfing is strictly prohibited in NORRA and will get you disqualified from the race, this was made very clear in the drivers meeting. That being said I guess I should introduce myself, my name is John and I am the owner of the THING in pictures above. Road rage nor nerfing had any part in this accident, my car was built as a prerunner / play car the front bumper wasn't built to nerf and with $ I have invested in the front lights I have no interest in doing so. My front bumper doesn't have a mark on it even after landing upside down. What does have marks from the truggy is the passenger side of my car as far as the road being to narrow to pass we waited for on coming traffic to clear us before we attempted to pass safely. I think if you look at the pictures of truggy on it's side you can clearly see a yellow line separating two way traffic. We were in his dust for several miles at the end of the special and had tried to pass several times but couldn't get around him. No big deal, in the 3days and nearly 1200 miles of racing we had passed and been passed dozens of times without an issue this was going to be no different. This is a fun race and our goal was to finish not to race anyone team especially one that wasn't even in our class.
The long and short of what happened is... We were passing a car on a two lane highway when for whatever reason the other car decided he would change lanes and brake, when I asked the driver why he did that? He said " I didn't see you" I'd expect this driving on the 10fwy every day " traffic monitors" but not in this race. As to us being "Banned" we were interviewed by NORRA officials regarding the accident and were encouraged to fix the car and come back next year.
For you that are more interested in the fate of the THING rather than my essay of what went down. The car seems to be fine structurally other than the rear arms and a small section of tube that was dented by a rock. The heart break is the body but at least only the rear was damaged heavily and I picked up body parts today from small car connection.

John, glad to hear you confirm what I heard the other night.

Quote:
Apparently the 181 was passing the truggy and the road narrowed. Their tires got tangled up and you see the result. The Thing was pulled out with a crane and was pretty messed up according to the reports.

Sorry I jumped to the conclusion that you nerfed the other car based on the hearsay information posted above and on RDC. I thought I had cleared it up with my post above, but I should have been more clear.
Parker_Bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

liken127 wrote:
John, Thanks for replying on the crash. Your car was working very good! We were behind you on the 1st. day, until you had to get out before San Quintin.
We were also in your dust trying to get by! I know it gets frustrating! It is a fun race, It's hard to get the SCORE racing out of your head! This is our 3rd year doing this and we are still learning the rules. I talked to the truggy guys at our hotel. I think they're not sure what happened either! Thanks for the post, Hope you guys are back next year.

It's all good Shoyrtt, I've been guilty of doing the same. Thank you, we were really happy with the way the car performed. We managed to make our way up to 33rd over all and a best stage finnish of 18th, 23min behind the leader comming into Leredo. Not to bad for a three seater play car with a beam front end. I'm hooked , I'll definitely go back next year. I want to finish what we set out to do and that is just finish.
Which car were you racing? 5 car?
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: NORRA 1000 Thing Reply with quote

That's great, we will be back next year also. We were in the 127 prerunner, and we had the 5 car that tock 1st in class, and 9th, over all! not bad for a old air cooled motor!! lets talk before next year, maybe we can help out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: