Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Family Beetle Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
I have a suggestion ;
Stop taking things apart and start reading the project and build threads for your year car ;
You will save money and time by learning from others mistakes and not repeating them .

It really is worth your time .

I read them everyday, learning a lot, my goal in the next two weeks is to get the body off, tough with a 3 yr old "helping".

Btw 50/50 mix of atf and acitone works great.
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Moving forward, we got the body separated from the pan today, put blocks between until I build a rack to hold the body. It was rough getting them separated even with all the bolts off, like opening a 55 yr old coffin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Progress! Looking good!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Popcorn Lotsa work ahead but FUN build!

Next, I would get the seats out, glass, door cards...

Yeah make sure you put screws, nuts, bolts in ziploc bags and label 'em with a Sharpie.

Keeping your parts organized now will save you TONS of time later!
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Popcorn Lotsa work ahead but FUN build!

Next, I would get the seats out, glass, door cards...

Yeah make sure you put screws, nuts, bolts in ziploc bags and label 'em with a Sharpie.

Keeping your parts organized now will save you TONS of time later!

It has been fun so far.
Seats are out, interior is stripped, parts are in ziplocks labeled. I have Rubbermaid bins labeled with its contents.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

luvium wrote:
Moving forward, we got the body separated from the pan today, put blocks between until I build a rack to hold the body. It was rough getting them separated even with all the bolts off, like opening a 55 yr old coffin.

Two very simple saw horses worked well for me. I bought the metal brackets from Home Depot and used some left over 2x4s I had laying around.

The body breaking free from the pan is a pretty satisfy sound!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Got the chassis out today with some help from the neighbors and wife.
Now my front yard looks country, putting the pan on dollies in the garage and a car cover on the body. Next step is pans off this weekend.

The po, my wife's aunt said the original owner that bought it new and sold it in 66 named it Betsy, so I guess the car now has a name.

DadsOld74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

What a great project! I'm looking forward to watching it come together. Have fun!

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Pulled the shocks off, brake lines, master cylinder, petal Assy, cleaned a spot in the garage for the pan.
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Today we got the chassis is the garage and removed one pan, cleaned up most of the edge and off to the Billy Joel concert.

flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

I love it! Great work so far

Popcorn

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

After getting it in the garage I can see she has been in a collision on the front drivers side. The left side of the beam along with the frame head is pushed back 1/2 inch, the left side of the frame head bottom plate is curved. Just the left side is bent, the center where it goes back to the nap hat is straight, well it looks straight.
I know I need a new beam but can I heat up the frame head and try to pull it back out?
Do I need to replace it?

Cowbeze15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Nice build, good luck. I just started my build on a 66 here in San Diego. Where in SD are you? Im in North San Diego and could bounce somethings off you as i am new to this and seem to be embarking on the same journey.
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Cowbeze15 wrote:
Nice build, good luck. I just started my build on a 66 here in San Diego. Where in SD are you? Im in North San Diego and could bounce somethings off you as i am new to this and seem to be embarking on the same journey.

Thanks, it's my first build so it's been interesting and fun. I'm in mt helix.
Pm me your contact.
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Got the left side grinded and cleaned up, I found some heavy surface rust on the tunnel where it meets the pan, grinded it off, hope to get one pan welded in next week.

vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

A diamond in the rough, I love it. I would re-spray in the original VW blue color when it comes time for body work and paint.

After doing a body on pan restore on a '64 I can share that the project is going to take longer than expected. Also, start a build diary and get a folder to help organize receipts for every new/used part that you purchase. You will be surprised at how fast it adds up!
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

luvium wrote:
After getting it in the garage I can see she has been in a collision on the front drivers side. The left side of the beam along with the frame head is pushed back 1/2 inch, the left side of the frame head bottom plate is curved. Just the left side is bent, the center where it goes back to the nap hat is straight, well it looks straight.
I know I need a new beam but can I heat up the frame head and try to pull it back out?
Do I need to replace it?

Nice work and I bet it is a fun build so far. Watch those bare feet with metal shards!! Can't walk in bare feet in my part of the country due to frost bite or have mud between your toes from the mud because of all this stupid rain. Keep up the good work!

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
luvium wrote:
Do I need to replace it?

Nice work and I bet it is a fun build so far. Watch those bare feet with metal shards!! Can't walk in bare feet in my part of the country due to frost bite or have mud between your toes from the mud because of all this stupid rain. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I keep a clean garage floor, got a 3.5 yr old running around, it was 80 that day. We could use some of that rain here, looking like we will be lucky to get more rain before November.
luvium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

Today I removed spring packs and beam.
I found a free straight used beam I'm going to clean up and install, then start putting things back together. I plan to get the new pans welded in next week.

Last edited by luvium on Sun May 29, 2016 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 Family Beetle Build Reply with quote

You may have already, but you need to verify if your frame head is bent or not.

That a major repair if so...do not weld in your pans until you know. The frame head would be near impossible to bend back in place, it must be cut off and replaced
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: