Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading my headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

LemonCove wrote:
. . . . so went to Rectangular Hella ECodes and Ford parts:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=

That's a great idea.

I went with Rover lamps. They were around 100 euro shipped from Spain, but they are harder to find.

Your Ford housings & H4 lamps are much easier to duplicate.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
If you plan on keeping your square headlamps, step one is inspecting them and cleaning them. Make sure your reflectors are in good shape and that your headlight assemblies are water tight. If they are badly pitted, corroded or trap moisture when they get wet, you need to think about replacement options. If they are in good shape, clean them up! Here is the
gowesty recommended process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOWX2yxaKSk

Now you are ready to add relays and higher power bulbs.

if the light gets moisture in it dry it out and then run a bead of clear silicone rubber around the seam to seal any leaks. has worked great for me. trying to fix a leak from cracked glass however was not very succesful, the crack continued to grow. but leak at the sealing joint can be repaired with silicone rubber effectivly.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

if the light gets moisture in it dry it out and then run a bead of clear silicone rubber around the seam to seal any leaks. has worked great for me. trying to fix a leak from cracked glass however was not very succesful, the crack continued to grow. but leak at the sealing joint can be repaired with silicone rubber effectivly.

I put Hella H4's in my old 5-3/4" 4 headlight car & the hella boots wouldn't fit - so I sealed it with high temp rtv.

At one time I was going to get a SA grille. My plan was to install Hella 7" H4 e-codes & 5.75" aircraft landing lights on the inners (see below), part # GE 4537

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Dang! Too many choices. At this point without too much thinking (which is easy for me to do), I was planning to stay with rectangle lamps, but can't rule out going round. Here, I thought this would be a quick and easy project......until I asked you guys Laughing

Craig
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

well stocked junkyards make your choice easy

just kill the DOT housings, no matter what you do
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Dang! Too many choices. At this point without too much thinking (which is easy for me to do), I was planning to stay with rectangle lamps, but can't rule out going round. Here, I thought this would be a quick and easy project......until I asked you guys Laughing

I realize most people around here pan the rectangles to great a degree, but my '90 -- with relays, clean lenses, and good bulbs -- lights the road better than my 2000 Jetta (and, no, the Jetta's lenses aren't yellowed-out).

Why not try the relays and better bulbs first and see if they meet your needs? If they don't, convert it to your liking.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

DOT required light complaints aren't just a Vanagon phenomenon. My T3-era Mercedes and Audi also have them, and they're just as lousy. The 9004 plugs are also notorious for burning up when folks attempt to up the wattage, even with relays. E-codes are a proven way to improve lighting on these DOT-saddled European vehicles, since they merely return them back to their natural state

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

rblake3 wrote:
Like others said find some E-code square light housings or go with round 7" E-codes. All efforts to improve existing DOT lights with their inferior reflector/lenses are worthless. 80/100 bulbs will have too much scatter with DOT lenses and could melt wiring if you do not run 10 or 12 gauge to the battery via relays. BTW 80W low beam bulbs are illegal in Europe. I run 55/100 in my E-code H4 Hella rounds and they are more than adequate.

The only issue with E-code is I believe they may be illegal in some states that issue vehicle inspection tags. I don't know this for sure though. Just have a backup set of DOT lights for inspection purposes?

See my siggy below for ancient weblink on what I did for my H4 upgrade.

Totally agree.

1st step - Relay your lights (I really like parts from thatvwbusguy on here and use them every time).
2nd step - get H4s, either Euro rectangles or convert to 7" round.

When I did it on my old syncro, I couldn't believe how much better the lighting was with the round H4s, and then again with relays. I did it to my 1990 2wd again and same result. Yes, you could optimize your 9004 US market squares, but IMO, it's just turd polishing. Especially when there are so many inexpensive 7" H4s available.

Then you can go looking for some good fog lights!
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

I think cost has to be considered here. The "convert away from original DOT squares" should throw out some project costs. Since those conversions require new bulbs, and Jay Brown's awesome headlight relay kits, and so did mine, my comparative costs are zero except the time to remove the headlamps (which needs to be done anyhow for the relay kit), and wash them for crystal clear bulb housings.

By contrast, the "convert" crowd has to start spending money where I stopped. So, the "convert" crowd should throw out some numbers for converting to rounds (grille, shipping of grille, purchase of H4 lamps, or other round lamps) or the price of securing square H4s. Those are the incremental costs that the OP needs to have on hand to make the decision.

I think we'd all agree the H4s put out better light on low beam, but the last square H4 light set I saw cost over $300 before shipping from Europe.

And while we're at it, I think my square high beams will win over a single round headlamp system on high beam, including an H4 euro single H4. The reason is the problem with the DOT lamps is the crap low beams due to faulty low beam filament replacement and the metal shield. On high beam its a completely different battle in my favor with 2 unshielded low beam filaments (on high beam), plus another set of high beams for 4 filaments and far more total reflector area. With Jay's harness, a stock US square beam Vanagon could be sporting 4 100w filaments to light up the night. With a single beam round system, you are limited to 2 100 watt filaments.

So, what are the two popular "convert" systems going for:

Single round - grille and H4 lights + shipping
SA system - grille, and 2 H4 lights, plus those smaller inner lights + shipping
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

$325 for E code squares, $50 in Jays lighting with grounds and conversion plugs for H4s, $ for H3 high beam bulbs and $90 for H4 dual high low with module 5000k white HIDs.

For those about to chime in and say that the reflectors are not designed for HID and the patterns wont work or oncomming traffic hates me. Piss off. Properly adjusted I have never offended anyone, verified by friends testing the lights both in front of me and on comming in different situations. The light pattern and distance is AMAZING. Here in the NW we have deer, elk, bear, cattle,racoon, opossum and Sasquatch. I can see them 30 yards before they step onto the pavement. The lighting system is cheaper than my deductable.

I also have a 20" 200w flood/spot and a 52" 300w spot LED lamps mounted too. Several 4" square flood led's side mounted and in back. I camp year round and in the winter months its dark at 4pm , I dont ever have a problem finding a level camp spot off road at night anymore Wink
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

COST:

7" Cibies used to be $40 on Amazon but now are $60 - still cheap
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Merian

Plus a grille for rounds and shipping, right? This is starting with squares.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
$325 for E code squares, $50 in Jays lighting with grounds and conversion plugs for H4s, $ for H3 high beam bulbs and $90 for H4 dual high low with module 5000k white HIDs.

Where did you find the E Code Squares?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

I already mentioned earlier in this thread that the cost for my round buckets and grill was offset completely by selling those same parts from my original square setup. So then the rest was just:

$50 for Cibie knock-offs
$26 for 80/100w bulbs
$0 for relay kit (work trade)
$75 for Hella 500 driving lights (bought about ten years ago)

y u rune klassik?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I think cost has to be considered here.

Absolutely. I've got more important things to spend money on, considering my squares work fine for me. To some, splashing out $300+ on lighting is no big deal... for others, that's $300+ that could go towards rebuilding a transmission down the road.

While E-codes are superior, I will agree, not everyone finds the DOT squares as bad as many folks around here say they are. Furthermore, not everyone likes the looks of the SA grille, or they wish to keep their van square.

IdahoDoug wrote:

You also need the headlight mounting brackets.

$675 for a complete kit + relays + H4s + emblem + bulbs + connectors
$365 for grille + inner lights w/ brackets + emblem + connectors
(Source: Van Cafe)

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I already mentioned earlier in this thread that the cost for my round buckets and grill was offset completely by selling those same parts from my original square setup.

And what did you sell that stuff for? That $$ factors into total cost.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

I bought the round kit for $100, and sold the square kit for $100; = $0 expended. I also prefer rounds aesthetically, so I consider the mod a visual "form" upgrade unrelated to their actual function.

y u rune klassik?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Merian

Plus a grille for rounds and shipping, right? This is starting with squares.

he is going to pull the grill and mounting brackets off in a junkyard - sell the squares and get most of your $$ back

I had no problems selling my squares locally BTW
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

Always fun to see the different ways we all address the same problem. Or even the fact not everyone sees a problem at all. Each of us has different needs and expectations.

I wired in relays many years ago and switched to the popular 80/100W bulbs. And to make sure the grounds were excellent, I added local ground wires.

But, adjusted properly and in good condition, those stock squares always left me wanting more, even with those standard upgrades. I ran a set of Hella 500 driving lights, relayed with the ignition, to help compensate.

Until I replaced the Hella 500's with an LED light bar. Can't exactly run one of those in traffic. I was so used used to the Hella's, I was squinting to see with just the squares.

Looking at all the usual options, I decided to go my own way. So I bought 4) 5.75" H4 Euro Bulbs and built a custom grill. Total cash outlay? About $250.00. Time spent customizing grill and building bulb brackets? About 10 hours. Light output on low beam? Damn good. High beams are Hella Good Laughing with 4 bulbs equaling a combined 340 watts blazing away.

Many a midnight drive across the desert has me glad I upgraded the lighting. And when I need something akin to daylight, I flip on the 300W LED lightbar. It's "Holy Crap" good!

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
Always fun to see the different ways we all address the same problem. Or even the fact not everyone sees a problem at all. Each of us has different needs and expectations.

I wired in relays many years ago and switched to the popular 80/100W bulbs. And to make sure the grounds were excellent, I added local ground wires.

But, adjusted properly and in good condition, those stock squares always left me wanting more, even with those standard upgrades. I ran a set of Hella 500 driving lights, relayed with the ignition, to help compensate.

Until I replaced the Hella 500's with an LED light bar. Can't exactly run one of those in traffic. I was so used used to the Hella's, I was squinting to see with just the squares.

Looking at all the usual options, I decided to go my own way. So I bought 4) 5.75" H4 Euro Bulbs and built a custom grill. Total cash outlay? About $250.00. Time spent customizing grill and building bulb brackets? About 10 hours. Light output on low beam? Damn good. High beams are Hella Good Laughing with 4 bulbs equaling a combined 340 watts blazing away.

Many a midnight drive across the desert has me glad I upgraded the lighting. And when I need something akin to daylight, I flip on the 300W LED lightbar. It's "Holy Crap" good!

WINNER!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading my headlights Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
I think cost has to be considered here.

Absolutely. I've got more important things to spend money on, considering my squares work fine for me. To some, splashing out $300+ on lighting is no big deal... for others, that's $300+ that could go towards rebuilding a transmission down the road.

While E-codes are superior, I will agree, not everyone finds the DOT squares as bad as many folks around here say they are. Furthermore, not everyone likes the looks of the SA grille, or they wish to keep their van square.

IdahoDoug wrote:

You also need the headlight mounting brackets.

$675 for a complete kit + relays + H4s + emblem + bulbs + connectors
$365 for grille + inner lights w/ brackets + emblem + connectors
(Source: Van Cafe)

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I already mentioned earlier in this thread that the cost for my round buckets and grill was offset completely by selling those same parts from my original square setup.

And what did you sell that stuff for? That $$ factors into total cost.

yeah that is a lot of dough and labor to upgrade lights. My stock 1986 square lamps are good after I added some relays, ground points at each light to body, new connectors for lamp, and higher watt bulbs. Now they are pretty darn good.
The cost was minimal, the relays are ones I got for a buck each at the wrecker, a common late model European Bosch relay that is cube shaped in either plastic or metal, 1/4 inch spades on the rear, they are typically 30 Amp relays. Sometime you can find five terminal two pole relays the same size. No need to spend on a pricey kit if you happen to be able to check out a good sized wrecker. I have used these relays in other projects too in other cars. they are good relays, very dependable over more than a decade. pick a couple more than you need to have spares on hand. Avoid any that have rust on them, or other signs of water damage. they can be found either under the dash or in the engine bay often just above the front fender well on a panel on BMW, VW, and Mercedes cars

Now I can see the light!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: