Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Type 1 Autostick build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Not my first bug. I had a 67, and a 69 years ago. Looking forward to getting this new car fixed up and dependable. Stock and sturdy is my goal. Replace parts with better than stock, etc.

I haven't heard of this being done before but I'll be putting a hand control in it. Controls the brake and gas for paraplegics. Yep. Hence the autostick.

Its an all original 1970. Any helpful suggestions welcome. Thx.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my goal. Or close.

Last edited by claubug on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Nice goal!
Welcome to the samba. There is a guy here that has vast experience with "autostick" car. SB001 look up his posts.
Auto sticks are not the fastest cars in the world.
I admire your desire to make your car paraplegic friendly. It can prove to be a challenge, But doable.
I like that pre-runner look that you have planned.
There are many intelligent folks here that are more than willing to help you. Just ask. But listen to what they have to say and do what they tell ya. They know all.
Have a great night.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

claubug,
From what I see you have a late donk, or different than what I am used to seeing in the '70 series.

So...what is the engine number & distributor number. The carby, while having correct ports etc - looks to be a replacement from somewhere? What make/model.

I also suspect your engine ran Aircon at some point in its life.

One last Q...what is the Gearbox serial number? If you plan to run big tires, you'd need to have a pre '71 AS box.

And lastly , www.vwar.org is the place for Autosticks. "Search" is your friend both on the current forum and "old" forum from the first page.

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Nice goal!
Welcome to the samba. There is a guy here that has vast experience with "autostick" car. SB001 look up his posts.
Auto sticks are not the fastest cars in the world.
I admire your desire to make your car paraplegic friendly. It can prove to be a challenge, But doable.
I like that pre-runner look that you have planned.
There are many intelligent folks here that are more than willing to help you. Just ask. But listen to what they have to say and do what they tell ya. They know all.
Have a great night.

Thanks for the welcome and advice 67rustavenger. I appreciate your comments.
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
claubug,
From what I see you have a late donk, or different than what I am used to seeing in the '70 series.

So...what is the engine number & distributor number. The carby, while having correct ports etc - looks to be a replacement from somewhere? What make/model.

One last Q...what is the Gearbox serial number? If you plan to run big tires, you'd need to have a pre '71 AS box.

And lastly , www.vwar.org is the place for Autosticks. "Search" is your friend both on the current forum and "old" forum from the first page.

HTH
Volkenstein

It did have AC. I have the pump for it and the control unit is still mounted under the dash. I'm not looking for a fast powerful car, have one of those already, but since it's factory AC I'd like to get it working properly at least. Besides it's cool.

The manufacture date is November 70.

I'm not aware of an engine change. To me it looks intact, rubber caps on the alternator and everything. Smile

I'll look into the transmission serial number and get back to you on that one.

Thanks for the vwar.org info.
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Found a pair of power front seats out of a Passat today. They're dirty in the pic but wiped off very well. Driver's seat bolster where you climb in and out is in good shape. $50

claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
claubug,

HTH
Volkenstein

i was looking up some info Volkenstein. I think my car is a 71. Dual port engine, cresent shaped vents behind the rear windows. Am I right? McPherson strut front suspension?
Goldbug3318
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum & looks like you got yourself a very solid car!!! These cars are a ton of fun, but have their nuances just like all things mechanical. I would start with a full tune up (don't forget a new fuel filter), replace/inspect brakes then just address things as needed.

I had a 74 autostick, fun car!!

1990 Ford Mustang Coupe
2008 Ford Mustang Coupe
2003 Chevy Corvette
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

claubug wrote:
I think my car is a 71. Dual port engine, cresent shaped vents behind the rear windows. Am I right? McPherson strut front suspension?

Well yes, that's exactly what your Bug looks like to me - a 1971 Super Beetle.
The '71 model year production started in AUG 1970.

claubug wrote:
I haven't heard of this being done before but I'll be putting a hand control in it. Controls the brake and gas for paraplegics.

Found this arcticle on the interweb: http://www.autobild.de/klassik/artikel/oldtimer-behindertengerechter-fahrzeugumbau-774494.html
Unfortunately all German... It says the Beetle was delivered with that hand control (as an extra) back in '73.

claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
claubug wrote:
I think my car is a 71. Dual port engine, cresent shaped vents behind the rear windows. Am I right? McPherson strut front suspension?

Well yes, that's exactly what your Bug looks like to me - a 1971 Super Beetle.
The '71 model year production started in AUG 1970.

claubug wrote:
I haven't heard of this being done before but I'll be putting a hand control in it. Controls the brake and gas for paraplegics.

Found this arcticle on the interweb: http://www.autobild.de/klassik/artikel/oldtimer-behindertengerechter-fahrzeugumbau-774494.html
Unfortunately all German... It says the Beetle was delivered with that hand control (as an extra) back in '73.

Wow! Look at that! Awesome Maddel.... Looks like a twist throttle. A factory hand control. i wonder if I could find one of those.

Translation: Even a classic car drives Lothar Budwill again. Coincidentally he had learned five years ago of a beetle, which was parked in the garage of an elderly woman. She had ordered him in 1973, with semi-automatic and a handset which enabled her to use of the accelerator and brake. She suffered from polio. 30 years she brought her faithful beetles everywhere 90,000 kilometers. Because of their age they had to separate from him. Lothar Budwill shows how easy the 1300s can go. Below the steering wheel sits a lever. Its throttle reminiscent of a motorcycle, and he also works. To brake Lothar Budwill pushes the lever forward. The draws power directly to the pedal. "This one gets out quickly," says Lothar Budwill. Although he is electronics. But for such tasks is enough simple mechanics.
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

I'll be using this type. Same as I have in my M3.

vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

claubug wrote:

I haven't heard of this being done before but I'll be putting a hand control in it. Controls the brake and gas for paraplegics. Yep. Hence the autostick.

I used the Monarch Mark 1A hand controls in a Type 3. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the installation. I had to lengthen the throttle arm on the hand controls because I couldn't get enough travel to press the pedal to the floor. I had to get a little creative connecting to the brake pedal, a custom bracket would probably be the best way.

I've also come up with brackets to use a motorcycle throttle. It seems to work well, but I don't have a car that runs to try it out.

1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
claubug wrote:

I used the Monarch Mark 1A hand controls in a Type 3. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the installation. I had to lengthen the throttle arm on the hand controls because I couldn't get enough travel to press the pedal to the floor. I had to get a little creative connecting to the brake pedal, a custom bracket would probably be the best way.

I've also come up with brackets to use a motorcycle throttle. It seems to work well, but I don't have a car that runs to try it out.

Very interesting vwfreek61!! Thanks for the pics.
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Goldbug3318 wrote:
Welcome to the forum & looks like you got yourself a very solid car!!! These cars are a ton of fun, but have their nuances just like all things mechanical. I would start with a full tune up (don't forget a new fuel filter), replace/inspect brakes then just address things as needed.

I had a 74 autostick, fun car!!

Thanks!

I'll being doing a big tuneup as you suggest, including a new 09 distributor with no points. Plus, window and door rubber: I'm buying the whole kit to replace as I go. Disc brakes, tires, rear shocks, seats, rear carpet, IRS boots, for starters.

The rear seat needs a new cover. And I have two Passat seats to go in. Any suggestions on mounting the new seats? I want to preserve the power functions.
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Claubug,
Don't whack a 009 on an A-S. They are so hit 'n' miss in terms of quality. Get a bad one and you'll have to run it richer etc etc.

So..A '71..You should have a VW113905205AH or AN DVDA distributor & Dual Port engine, which now makes sense. For the distributors, you can leave off the vacuum retard line/plug it at the carb and time to 7.5 Deg BTDC
Most of the DVDA can's are blown on the retard side. If ever you run across a working vacuum can stamped 853 on the long arm that connects to the points plate - keep it..I've reco'd 5 or so of the AH's and only 3 have fully functioning vac cans.

Another OK distributor used to be the SVDA's you could buy off Aircooled.net. But I don't know what John's current situation is with these (Supply or availability).

By all means find that trans code...it'll let you know what your overall gearing will be.

Lot's of checking to do. A lot of these cars have been PO'd.....badly...

HTH
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
Claubug,
Don't whack a 009 on an A-S. They are so hit 'n' miss in terms of quality. Get a bad one and you'll have to run it richer etc etc.

So..A '71..You should have a VW113905205AH or AN DVDA distributor & Dual Port engine, which now makes sense. For the distributors, you can leave off the vacuum retard line/plug it at the carb and time to 7.5 Deg BTDC
Most of the DVDA can's are blown on the retard side. If ever you run across a working vacuum can stamped 853 on the long arm that connects to the points plate - keep it..I've reco'd 5 or so of the AH's and only 3 have fully functioning vac cans.

Another OK distributor used to be the SVDA's you could buy off Aircooled.net. But I don't know what John's current situation is with these (Supply or availability).

By all means find that trans code...it'll let you know what your overall gearing will be.

Lot's of checking to do. A lot of these cars have been PO'd.....badly...

HTH
Volkenstein

Thanks Volkenstein, But I thought an 09 was far superior to the vacuum advance type? No? Not for the AS?

I'll find those numbers.....
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Claubug,
They just don't suit an A-S in particular. Search for 009 + Flat Spot and that'll give you a small inkling - and that is the vast majority of MANUAL cars that run 'em. On 34 Pict 3 equipped cars they aren't so good.

HTH
Volkenstein
claubug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

volkenstein wrote:
Claubug,
They just don't suit an A-S in particular. Search for 009 + Flat Spot and that'll give you a small inkling - and that is the vast majority of MANUAL cars that run 'em. On 34 Pict 3 equipped cars they aren't so good.

HTH
Volkenstein

Cool, I looked up the info. Interesting. I think I'll stick with the vacuum advance for now. I want to get away from points and go electronic. Any suggestions? Is it better to stay with stock in this case too?
NorCal530
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Nice goal in mind I like the plan. As for advice I'm a little short on that since I'm new to this. I am building a 1970 beetle. I'm gonna do a full overhaul on it. I have interior gutted mostly. Got a lot of work to do on it. A lot.

Just stopping in to see others projects. I'll follow I'm interested into seeing what you do.

Have a good day

T
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 1 Autostick build Reply with quote

Claubug,
As of today - no-one appears to be selling a 043905205C distributor.
You can have your cake & maybe enjoy it if you check out Hot-spark's for sale in the Ad's. They say they can flog you an SVDA, leccy conversion + graphed to how you want it. Somewhere around 120 ish US If mine eyes don't deceive me.

A word of warning - DO NOT BALLS UP THE WIRING....

HTH
Volkenstein
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: