Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drag racing a bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Have your GF watch it,while u make the pass Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

You need a trailer to pull behind your bus. You could lock your stuff in that. Very Happy Then somebody would steal the trailer. Mad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2MOVmKdhX4
I used to pull the 2276 out of my Dragcar and throw it in my Panel for fun.
Best time was a 14.95 in the 1/4.
Taking of the roof rack Gained 5 mph.
It was fun just driving around town and pissing off a few people with it.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

trailered bus saturday to track. i took all the extra crap off bus, no rack, no swamp cooler, aired down rear tires to 22psi, pulled off the fan belt...went ALL IN on the first pass.... broke an axel leaving line! as we are pushing it back, guy said at least there isnt a huge pool of oil, or any metal chuncks laying down there. ill get it tore down next week and see how bad it broke. ill be using hd axels from now on. lesson learned
TSPayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

There was a guy in the Seattle area, years ago, that went by the name of "buggly". He was running 14.5's in a 64 combi! He was crazy fun to watch! I never knew what he was running though. Does anyone remember this guy?
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

TSPayne wrote:
There was a guy in the Seattle area, years ago, that went by the name of "buggly". He was running 14.5's in a 64 combi! He was crazy fun to watch! I never knew what he was running though. Does anyone remember this guy?

I do remember. What happened to him?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

If you want to get serious about improving your times, you'll need to revisit your engine combination. Also, that shroud is one of the shittiest cooling shrouds ever.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Also, that shroud is one of the shittiest cooling shrouds ever.
Yeah, but it looks COOL! Dancing

Wink

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
henk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

There some really fast splitscreen busses at the moment here in europe.
Like windsplit,firebus,the hotwheels bus,...
The firebus even broke the european record last week with a 11,4 on the 1/4 mile.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RbiFfNqnEX0

Henk!!!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Quit side steppin the clutch Laughing
try to slowly release it on the last Yellow lite Laughing Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Quit side steppin the clutch Laughing
try to slowly release it on the last Yellow lite Laughing Wink

There is a lot more truth to that then most guys understand. I DO NOT side step the clutch, I release it.

OP try 25-26 PSI in the rear tires. Steel belted passanger car tires must have enough air in them to stay round. When they are under inflated the steel belts distort and you will not have maximum traction.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

if i had a nickle everytime someone ran their mouth about how "shitty" that center mount shroud is, i would have enough money to buy a second one!!! i have ran that shroud and several roadtrips over 2500 miles without any overheating problems on my roadtrip motor, in this same bus, sure there are better choices but i like it, and tend to do things a little differnt. im having fun, im serious all day long...12 to 14 hours a day, owning a small cnc job shop, so thats why i enjoy having fun when im behind the wheel of my volks. thanks for the tip on psi and radials, ill start out at 28psi after i get the trans sorted out. if i was serious i would not be in this shitbox would i? hahaha
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:

if i was serious i would not be in this shitbox would i? hahaha

Good point .. we love seeing it in action
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

I see three people in that pic. I'm guessing the driver is you, and one of the other two looks to be taking a pic of the bus. Applause I think that says a lot! I like your shitbox! Very Happy I'd roll with ya! Cool

mark tucker wrote:
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad It seems that the OP did not read my remark about NOT letting too much air out of the rear tires leaving a SNAPPED axle or broken tranny.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Crying or Very sad It seems that the OP did not read my remark about NOT letting too much air out of the rear tires leaving a SNAPPED axle or broken tranny.

It took me a while to learn how to race on real steel belted street radials. People always give me the stink eye when I tell them to air the damn tires up. You CAN NOT run them under inflated at the track. It will just break you junk.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

I had one of them center mounted shrouds on my 917 and had no issues ether Laughing
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

hoping to get the shitbox out to test n tune saturday, if i did my math correct i should be able to cruise 50 mph at 3000rpms, i still want to drive it in the street. ill be keeping tires aired up and see how it goes...low 17s / high 16s would be nice for now. im building a 2110 (76×94)draw thru turbo motor just for funzies, but its few months away from being ready
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

the most important thing is your having one hell of a time racing your bus . not every one who drag races has a fast car . .you don't need a fast car to win a race .as long as you turn the same time every time . you would be hard to beat . unless you get a sand bagger . what people on here don't under stand not every one wants a 10 second car or a 14 second car . my friends old 1973 bus runs 25seconds in the 1/4 mile .I don't think his time is all that bad . what do you think a 40hp motor in that bus would run in the 1/4 mile maybe 30 seconds lol. give him time he will get it to run 16s ... licking gas kicking ass . blood sweat and gears lol lol have fun my friend and do it your way .and who gives a dam what others think lol lol spencerfvee
64 ragtop volks wrote:

hoping to get the shitbox out to test n tune saturday, if i did my math correct i should be able to cruise 50 mph at 3000rpms, i still want to drive it in the street. ill be keeping tires aired up and see how it goes...low 17s / high 16s would be nice for now. im building a 2110 (76×94)draw thru turbo motor just for funzies, but its few months away from being ready
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: drag racing a bus Reply with quote

before breaking the axel, i was hitting low 18s consistantly within a tenth @ 68mph. i just go to the test n tune nights, so its heads up racing, its funny when i catch a v8 sleeping at the lights and get a good jump on them, yeah they pass me by time i shift to 3rd, but the people in the stands are by the starting line in the stands, makes for some very cool pics seeing a ratty 50 year old bus that looks like hell, getting a jump on modern day v8s that the bank still owns, im sure their buddies really bust their balls about it lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: