Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Differences in paint quality
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

What are the main differences in paint quality. I get the coverage, durability and consistency but what's makes a high quality, top of the line paint? I work in a kitchen and can tell you the difference between a $3 steak and a $8 steak but I don't see the difference of a $50 steak other that the branding and the ability to say it came from xxxxx. I'm sure the there are preferences from the pros but I'd just like to find a validation for spending a higher amount of money for paint.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
What are the main differences in paint quality. I get the coverage, durability and consistency but what's makes a high quality, top of the line paint? I work in a kitchen and can tell you the difference between a $3 steak and a $8 steak but I don't see the difference of a $50 steak other that the branding and the ability to say it came from xxxxx. I'm sure the there are preferences from the pros but I'd just like to find a validation for spending a higher amount of money for paint.

High end (Glasso) paint isn't made from generic products, and actually doesn't cost that much more, since you need to use much less for the same job.

London Broil, Chateaubriand, or Filet Mignon for me.
Or fatty hamburger since it's made from the same regions.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Generic .....is a bit too "generic" of a term for the differences between high and low cost coatings.

The pigments that go into the individual colorants as well as the solvents, binders, resins etc....in what you might call "generic" paints and coatings are largely made by the same companies that make the same products for premium paint and coating lines.

In fact many of the ingredients are identical.

The differences in cost are only partly related (and not always a large part).....to ingredient cost and quality.
Most of it is due to labor investment during the processing of the ingredients.
For pigments.... Grinding/ball milling time, care and time spent during batching and mixing, equipment quality.....which is highly competed for within plants on the better equipment lines.......all make even more of a difference on the quality and cost of a coating than the ingredient cost alone makes.

Making paint is not just a mix and a stir. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Generic is the exact word for some brands because they do not have the patents for process or formulation, including but not limited to light reflectivity tests on various surfaces.
And no they don't all use the same stuff inside.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Generic is the exact word for some brands because they do not have the patents for process or formulation, including but not limited to light reflectivity tests on various surfaces.
And no they don't all use the same stuff inside.

1. There are few if any unknown or patented processes in paint mixing for solvent based paints anymore. Haven't been for the better part of 40 years.....except in electrostatic coatings field .
I work with many of the pigment/colorant manufacturers that supply EVERYONE in virtually every paint, coating and ink industry.

2. Nor did I say that they ALL use the same ingredients.....or "stuff" inside as you note.

However....when you are looking at the pigments that go into the individual colorants....that go into the mix of a particular color.....there are only a handful of sources worldwide.....raw material sources.....not dealers selling pigments/colorants (of which there are many).......and the vast majority from brand to brand are indeed from the same source.

If you are making the exact same color in two different paint BRANDS of the same chemistry. ...i.e.....lets eay they are both single part lacquer......the colorants used by both manufacturers will most probably be sourced from the same raw material.

The solvents will be the same. The binders WILL have some differences snd this is the first main ingredient based opportunity for one manufacturer to make a product better than the competitor. That difference is usually not large enough to warrnant a significant eifference in price.

The differences come in the sub processes.....i.e.:

Manufacturer #1 may batch it a out by weight with a variations of +/-1%......which is just....ok. Followed by a single temperature controlled shear rotor dispersion. ...without changing mixing containers to bring the fine ingredients to the bottom and heavy to the top......then into the buckets.
Work is checked by draw down, spray down and spectrophotometer...which accounts ofr specular gloss and may be taken to only a Delta-E of say 5......which is discernable to the human eye.
Viscosity is checked with a rotational viscometer. Nothing fancy.

Each stage is labor intensive and costly.

These are just the main colorant paints mind you.....the base colors used for mixing/matching at the jobber.

Manufacturer #2 does all of the above except......he flips the entire batch twice during dispersion. ...then runs the entire batch through a liquid cooled zirconium ball mill (very common at most paint and coating manufactures but not used on cheaper paints Wink )......which homogenizes the mix, suspends it and reduces particle size.

Further QC. Work is done in a wet cell spectrophotometer. If the colorant does not match to below a Delta -E of 3 .....which is the smallest difference discernable to human vision.....the spectro software (having the mix programmed in) will tell them which if the colorant ingredients is too high or low by weight.

Viscosity is checked snd controlled during mixing through the ball mill by an inline vibrational viscometer .....far more accurate and a more expensive tool.

The batch is corrected and run through the ball mill again before packaging.

So yes.....while there are some differences in ingredients.....the primary differences are in the sub processing. And.....its not a matter of patented processes. Its a matter of how much processing money the manufacturer is willing to invest into a budget priced paint.

Light reflectivity tests are all done by spectrophotometer and specular gloss meters. Even the worst paint plants have those. I have those tools. Its about $7k between the two tools so its not rocket science or even special equipment.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

If any of the dribble you just blabbed were true all of the systems would be compatible checmically with each other. They clearly are not compatible , Anyone who has painted with more than one system knows what I'm saying to be true.
Great job at sales, I'm not buying. Laughing

Edited to ad,

And you let this post sit unanswered until I posted an informed opinion and you are only arguing with me, not really giving anything of value to the OP.
So unless you go and erase the last few days of your presence here, youre busted.
It's not the first time you've done this, but who cares? Right? Sad.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Thanks Ray. Very informative. If anything Ray isn't selling anything. I make sure my clear has good UV resistance as you can buy clears without it. A lot of the rest seems to be marketing and making the user feel special.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Never pay for anything that will last a lifetime unless you plan on keeping the item a lifetime.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

I used the top of the line sherwin williams , primer , base , and clear ... good quality paint makes a world of diffrence ... and it allso make s a show winner not a half ass paint job like most of them out there ..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in paint quality Reply with quote

Proof is in the pudding ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: