Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I tried some 2800 lumen headlight bulbs from vintagecarleds.com. At first I thought they were fantastic, but then noticed that after the headlights are on for maybe 10 minutes, if I put on the high beams they would stick on high beam and not come back down no matter how many times I hit the foot switch.
Turn them off for 5-10 minutes and they work fine. Personally I feel it's a heat issue. The fan on these is inside the headlamp housing (not behind it as on other models) which is in turn inside the headlight bucket and there is no place for the heat to go.

The seller said he thinks my relay is sticking and needs to be cleaned or a new one put in. I told him that there is no separate relay on a 65 VW and that the footswitch works fine with halogen bulbs. I was very disappointed and had to send them back.

Anyone else have this problem or find a set that fits and works?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I have LED headlights in my beach buggy, closed up in chrome shells, and they have been working fine. Mine where from VLED, an older model that is no longer sold and the power supply boxes are inside the headlight shells too. So far they have been working fine.

I would suggest you test a little more. It is not impossible for the foot switches to stick, but it should be less likely with LED headlights as they draw a lot less current. Perhaps you can use a 3 terminal toggle switch in place of the floor switch and see if the problems happens with that.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I have LED headlights in my beach buggy, closed up in chrome shells, and they have been working fine. Mine where from VLED, an older model that is no longer sold and the power supply boxes are inside the headlight shells too. So far they have been working fine.

I would suggest you test a little more. It is not impossible for the foot switches to stick, but it should be less likely with LED headlights as they draw a lot less current. Perhaps you can use a 3 terminal toggle switch in place of the floor switch and see if the problems happens with that.

I agree that a different switch should be tried. Your 65 came with 6v high amperage wiring and a pretty heavy duty floor switch to flow quite a bit. Even if your switch works correctly, it is a really primitive design. Just press one slowly with regular headlights and you'll notice it's a vague transition until it finally snaps into position. The LED lights just expose the fact that the switch is for high current flow, not accurate switching. Most likely, something is back feeding to keep the highs activated, leakage across the terminals inside the switch, etc. It's only going to take fractions of the same amperage to activate LED circuits where the old halogens won't do anything until they get a full blast of electricity. Just some thoughts, but in my experience LED anything requires more effort than people think.

- adding a CDI electronic box ignition often requires a diode in the charging system warning light otherwise a back feed through the ignition system that won't allow the engine to shut off. The new high tech circuitry that's been added requires a higher tech warning light circuit to match. I've done this fix to 3 VW's at least

- adding LED bulbs into any turn signal circuit might not work without changing the flasher over to a transistorized modern one. LED doesn't generate the heat and resistance to run an old school thermal flasher- I've done this fix to a lot of different vehicles

- I just bought an LED lighted GPS speedometer, it comes with a special lighting module.... And to add dimming capability to some other gauges will require their own special dimming modules

When going to LED, you have to assume it's not the same as a bulb swap. Look at the bigger picture when you do any LED swap. After all, it may LOOK like just swapping bulbs but you are changing a gas charged bulb to a light emitting DIODE. They are very different no matter what they look like.

My 2 cents

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I am thankful for the input. Sadly I returned the bulbs for a refund. I'm still not clear though, on why they consistently work fine for the first 5-10 minutes and then exhibit problems.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
I tried some 2800 lumen headlight bulbs from vintagecarleds.com. At first I thought they were fantastic, but then noticed that after the headlights are on for maybe 10 minutes, if I put on the high beams they would stick on high beam and not come back down no matter how many times I hit the foot switch.
Turn them off for 5-10 minutes and they work fine. Personally I feel it's a heat issue. The fan on these is inside the headlamp housing (not behind it as on other models) which is in turn inside the headlight bucket and there is no place for the heat to go.

The seller said he thinks my relay is sticking and needs to be cleaned or a new one put in. I told him that there is no separate relay on a 65 VW and that the footswitch works fine with halogen bulbs. I was very disappointed and had to send them back.

Anyone else have this problem or find a set that fits and works?

An important thing you didn't report: when changing from high to low beam the blue light in the instrument works correctly? If it does, problem is in led lights; if it does'nt, problem is in the switch.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Yes, blue indicator light worked properly.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Just a update-

We did some testing on the LED units that were returned to us by you due to this reported issue.

Here is what we found:

After leaving them running inside sealed units for 2 hours (to build up as much heat as we could) They switched from low/high beam just fine.

However

After we started lowering the output voltage to the LED headlamp units from 13+ volts, down to 11.8-12.2 volts we noticed when switching from Hi/Lo the headlights would get "stuck" - This is the issue you reported to us.

So I think the cause is due to your headlight pigtails giving the bulbs low voltage, either due to age of the wires, maybe your generator/alternator, possible corrosion or another electrical issue.

If you go and start your car up, let it warm up and with the headlights on take a voltage reading at the pig tail end (from the back side of it) leave the headlight plugged in, and on and see what voltage you are getting.

We have only had one other user have this issue in the past year, it was due to his generator having 50% of the commutator dead (solder was flung off it) replacing his generator solved the headlight issue, and his low voltage issue at his battery.

- VintageCarLED

Last edited by vintagecarleds on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your results here for us all to see.

A generator does not charge at idle and so 12 volts or a little less will be common at idle.

Sounds like the power supply of the units is not robust enough to deal with 12 volts, or slightly less. Unfortunately, that pretty much rules out use on any generator-based Volkswagen application.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Thanks for posting your results here for us all to see.

A generator does not charge at idle and so 12 volts or a little less will be common at idle.

Sounds like the power supply of the units is not robust enough to deal with 12 volts, or slightly less. Unfortunately, that pretty much rules out use on any generator-based Volkswagen application.

I agree about the generator not really charging at idle.

However if you have a generator based VW and everything is properly working as it should you will be fine.

(my 71' with a generator works just fine with the LED headlights)

Also, I have sold 30+ kits to Pre 66' VW's (converted to 12 volt generators) with no issues (except for the one with half a dead generator)
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

For the record, I'm running a new alternator (+_ 6 mos. old)

engine idling with low beams on.
Alternator output, 13.7 volts
Voltage at light - low beams, 12.29

engine idling with high beams on.
Alternator output, 14.2 volts
Voltage at light - high beams, 11.99
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
For the record, I'm running a new alternator (+_ 6 mos. old)

Alternator output, 13.7 volts
Voltage at light - low beams, 12.29

Alternator output, 14.2 volts
Voltage at light - high beams, 11.99

Seems like you have a voltage drop issue in your headlight circuit.
Could be a ground, headlight switch, dimmer switch, or just the terminal connections.

With the standard halogens with filaments, you wont notice this causing an issue with hi/lo (they would just be dimmer)

However, Now with our LEDs if they are not getting the correct voltage they apparently get "stuck" on either low/high beam.

I will need to put this info on our product page for people to have 12.8+ volts.

Seems like out of 200+ kits we sell we get one customer car that might have voltage drop issues.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Still waiting for someone to tell me why they work fine for the first 10 minutes or so and then stop working after they've heated up how is this affecting the voltage?

I've checked the grounds in the past and all connections are clean and tight, so I might just put in a new foot switch and see if anything changes should be easy enough.

Just one more thing, you're selling these headlights specifically for classic cars. Classic cars maybe 6 V or 12 V but they certainly all could have issues. It seems like you should develop your bulbs to not be so sensitive. 11.99 volts is for all intents and purposes 12 V it seems like your lights should work regardless.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
Still waiting for someone to tell me why they work fine for the first 10 minutes or so and then stop working after they've heated up how is this affecting the voltage?

I've checked the grounds in the past and all connections are clean and tight, so I might just put in a new foot switch and see if anything changes should be easy enough.

Just one more thing, you're selling these headlights specifically for classic cars. Classic cars maybe 6 V or 12 V but they certainly all could have issues. It seems like you should develop your bulbs to not be so sensitive. 11.99 volts is for all intents and purposes 12 V it seems like your lights should work regardless.

We appreciate your feedback, and are sorry our headlights did not satisfy you for your application.

I'm guessing those first 10 minutes your choke was on = higher RPM, alternator puts out more, and is able to overcome your voltage drop issue you have.

As stated, your returned bulbs tested fine.

Thank you for your time-
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I tested it a couple of times after it had been running, turned it off for five or 10 minutes and turned it back on. The choke did not reset at those times and the lights worked fine so I'm not buying that theory, but like I said, when I get around to it I'll change the foot switch and see if the voltage is any different. If I suddenly have more voltage, maybe I'll go ahead and order the lights again.
Thanks for all of the input.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
I tested it a couple of times after it had been running, turned it off for five or 10 minutes and turned it back on. The choke did not reset at those times and the lights worked fine so I'm not buying that theory, but like I said, when I get around to it I'll change the foot switch and see if the voltage is any different. If I suddenly have more voltage, maybe I'll go ahead and order the lights again.
Thanks for all of the input.

Sounds good.

I would trace the wire, check it at the battery, then at the fuse block, down to the foot switch, up at the headlight switch and follow it till you see the where the voltage drop occurs.

So you wont have to replace more parts than you need to.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Normal semiconductor behavior changes with temperature. Ten minutes of operation must raise a junction temperature just enough to make a difference.

I agree that if you drop 2 volts from the alternator to the lamp, there is a wiring problem. Solve that, and the lights may work fine.

On my old 6 volt car, I got the total voltage drop to about 0.4V (tougher with a 6V car due to currents being higher). I soldered wires, replaced or cleaned connectors, and cleaned all grounds. The highest current is right at the headlight connections, so suspect those and the grounds first. Your VOM, moved connector by connector, will flush out the culprit(s) quickly.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights - Update Reply with quote

Ok, here's what I did:

Replaced foot switch with a new one from ,Wolfsberg West.

Removed all fuses, cleaned their ends, cleaned all of the fuse holders , (light sand, wiped with alcohol)

Pulled the spade connectors from trunk side, (same procedure).

Sadly, I was unable to reach the spade connectors adequately at the headlight switch, only to jiggle some of them. I assume I would need the escutcheon tool to release the switch and maybe get to the wires. (Maybe in the future some time)

Nevertheless I did get some results:

Alternator output, 13.8 volts
Voltage at light - low beams, 12.75

Voltage at light - high beams, 12.75

So, better, but too close for comfort for LED's
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights - Update Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
Ok, here's what I did:

Replaced foot switch with a new one from ,Wolfsberg West.

Removed all fuses, cleaned their ends, cleaned all of the fuse holders , (light sand, wiped with alcohol)

Pulled the spade connectors from trunk side, (same procedure).

Sadly, I was unable to reach the spade connectors adequately at the headlight switch, only to jiggle some of them. I assume I would need the escutcheon tool to release the switch and maybe get to the wires. (Maybe in the future some time)

Nevertheless I did get some results:

Voltage at light - low beams, 12.75

Voltage at light - high beams, 12.75

So, better, but too close for comfort for LED's

propper addition of relays may help get the voltage up, and save wear on the switches.

on my car I dissasembled the dash switch and cleaned up the contects and retensioned them, that helped a lot, no more hot switch!

you can remove the switch beezle,witha needle nose pliers often. just dont slip and scratch the dash.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt to swap out the headlight switch when I get a chance,
but in the meantime, Vintage-Car-LEDs has graciously offered to send me back the LED lamps
to try free of charge for 2 or three weeks, since my voltage is up at the lamps.
If all is good, they'll take payment.
Who could ask for better customer service?
Thanks, guys.
Will keep you posted.
Drewmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Please do, I've been eyeing those for a while too. Let us know how you make out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: