Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

54-55 oval dig out
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Found this oval tucked in with a stash of later bugs. It was very over grown, and completely sunk in the sand, right to the beam. Judging from the cars around it, it was likely parked somewhere around 1970. Here's the first shot I have of it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The interior is a bit of a wreck, but complete. Several large shed snake skins suggest something was healthy keeping the mice away

A deal was struck, and I brought my skid steer to make a path, and clear about a foot of leaves. Had to cut quite a few trees that had grown around it. Here's my buddy Joe, who ran the chainsaw for me

Pulled it out of the vines. The rear bumper decided it was going to stay, which was a shame. I was surprised when I saw the tail lights.

Was easy with the skid steer.

And out of the thicket, finally

Loaded

So, it's back at my shop and I'm amazed at how complete it is, but it is rough. It needs pans/channels/quarters/ aprons/ door bottoms. All of the fenders are original, and they all need work because of thin edges, which I have done, but man. What a project.
How rare are semaphore/ ribbed door ovals? Would it be considered sacrilege to use this as a donor for my 50 split shell? Just looking for some insight, as I haven't had any really early cars before; most of my junk has been 60's junk.
SD
67Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Man, that car is a neat find! Would have loved to find a car like that as opposed to our '55. As far as how rare they are, I can't answer that question. But it would be a great candidate to either get back on the road or fix your split
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

That is US spec '55 oval, suggested by the rare and hard to find '55 US only tail lights. I personally think this should be a keeper cause it is such a complete car. I already chimed in on your other thread in the split forums so I won't repeat myself but I will say that the sources I've suggested in the other thread will work great for both cars, however, it won't be cheap. They are both great cars that are highly desirable, done right they will fetch some decent coin if that's what you're after. Congrats on the finds and good luck on your journey whatever you decide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

If you do decide to part it out, please PM me as I'd be interested in the front seats for my 54.

It will be a heck of a metal work project, but it does appear to be complete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Rare, but as a business opportunity the best ROI is parting out, followed by flipping now. You will not make money restoring and selling.

Of course the best ROI is restoring and keeping but that's a different R.
fuscavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Such a cool and rare find considering how it was never robbed of its parts over the years. U.S. spec early 55 car. Would be cool to pass if on to someone that will restore it if you decide not to keep it.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
If you do decide to part it out, please PM me as I'd be interested in the front seats for my 54.

It will be a heck of a metal work project, but it does appear to be complete.

I'd say: labour of love!
Economically that one might not be interesting as a business plan, then parting out or selling it on would be the way to go.

But remember: the VW community wants old VW's to be the best they can be!
That car could be an awesome rat. Slam it, big engine, disc brakes, some alloys, job done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw54john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Please don't part it out. If you don't have the time, ambition, money or stomach to restore it, please consider flipping it. Complete, early ovals are becoming too rare to have another one raped, cut up or crushed. There are plenty of people who'd love to get their hands on this car.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Already noticed that Esde is from the rustbelt and that he's been a Samba-member since 2007?
Being from that part of the US, he knows that that oval could be saved with a good deal of love and labour, so if resurrected: make it a ratlook!

And remember: cars are a lump of steel at the end of the day, and the older they get the more work they need done on Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Yeah, cars that sit around here don't ever hold promising surprises. It's a damned shame, as road salt didn't kill this car, the wet forrest floor did. Sitting up to the pan in leaves and sand was the end. So, if it was anything other than what it is, (or earlier) I would have parted it out already. There gave been more than enough PM's sent that it could all be spoken for already.
But, it is an extremely complete, early car. I may put it in the classifieds to see if someone wants to take on the project, though I'd hate to see it get parted out by the next owner..
It's bad, rust has gotten the a and b pillars, 3-6" up, heater channels and floors are long gone, both aprons, fender edges, hood edge, front and rear aprons, and thin with pin holes all over the place. Doors are shot too. Sounds promising right?
I've got a split that needs major surgery, and this could donate to the cause..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653153
Just not sure yet. I just pulled it off the trailer, and stuck 4 wheels with decent tires on it. Will pull it inside and on the lift next week, and make a final call.
SD
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

i would love to see someone tackle this
i am always amazed when i pop into the barn door forums what they fix.

one piece at a time, but i agree it would not be an easy task
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

esde wrote:

I've got a split that needs major surgery, and this could donate to the cause..
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653153
Just not sure yet. I just pulled it off the trailer, and stuck 4 wheels with decent tires on it. Will pull it inside and on the lift next week, and make a final call.
SD

I suppose it could contribute to your split, but it looks like your split and this early oval need many of the same things -- the bottom 6 inches of the body. I don't have a good answer about how to proceed, but remember the goal. Here on the left coast we are a bit spoiled. I bought a '57 for a daily driver because the heater channels worked perfectly (heat, even from both sides.)
splitwindowsyndicate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Nice work!
67 Kombi
77 911
99 Ducati 900SS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

The carnage, it really is completely rough. Or complete and rough. Roughly complete. Haha

Front a pillars, channels, lower wheel wells, floor pans, etc

nice place to nest

seats, I think they are correct for the 55. How early are these correct for?

Passenger side door is a mess

Back seat is really nice, and original cover

FE2O3

Front fenders, and the early non bullet fenders the same as split or zwitter fenders? These are shot at the corners but could be saved with some work
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

That's a really cool car! Please don't disassemble it until you get TONS of pictures!! It will definitely help us who are putting together "correct" 55's. Can you get a good shot of the front bumper? Is the Speedometer in MPH?
Yes, those seats are correct for the car. I agree, it is pretty rusty...but it's a great time capsule!
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

Yes it's rusty but fixable. I'm sure the vultures are circling and bombing your PM box. Hell, I need the front seats but it would be a real shame to part a car out like that which has stayed intact all these years.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

That car can definitely be fixed. I fixed one way worse than that.

Flip the car. Flip the complete car for the correct parts you need to fix your older car. Or flip it for cash that you can use to buy the correct parts you need to fix your older car. Win-win.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
That's a really cool car! Please don't disassemble it until you get TONS of pictures!! It will definitely help us who are putting together "correct" 55's. Can you get a good shot of the front bumper? Is the Speedometer in MPH?
Yes, those seats are correct for the car. I agree, it is pretty rusty...but it's a great time capsule!

Here you go…
Door, the pins are rusted tight in the handles. Gonna be a chore getting them apart

Behind the dash

My shop vac's missing the filter, so I have yet to vacuum the mess.
Found the heater tubes completely intact.

Tire well is shot, apron is rough, but not too bad otherwise

73,911 maybe

original roller pedal

Seat is nice

SD
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

That car has some serious rust. Something might have nested above the windshield holding in moisture causing the rust out.

I hope the rest of the top of the car is solid.

I once bought a '56 shell that had been baja'd for for a few donor pieces. It had a lot of rust down low but the top looked good at first glance. Once I got into it the entire top part of the car was like swiss cheese.

You just never know until you start really digging into a car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 54-55 oval dig out Reply with quote

The body number is hard to read, but if it is 661426, the car is late October 1954 production.

A few things to look for:
- Are there small drain holes at the bottoms of the "egg" light housings?
- Is there a "bulls eye" in the center of the taillight lens?
- Is there an oil hole or an oil slot on the door hinges?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: