Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

75 Beetle with 356 wheels?
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

Hey all, I am building up my 75 standard beetle for auto cross, I have done a decent suspension upgrade, and plan on doing a small supercharger upgrade from a Japanese kei car. I'm going to want descent rubber on this car, but want it to look more or less period. I just found out that they make 356 Porsche tires using the pirelli performance compound. Now I just need to know if the wheel will fit my car. I'm still running the standard hub and drum which will be upgraded in the future, but this car is nothing but baby steps. I know the wheels will fit a 1966 bug thanks to this forum search, but did the wheels change in the facelift? Thanks!
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

What are "356 Porsche tires using the pirelli performance compound"?
I'm interested, as I own an Intermeccanica 356 Porsche replica, with a 5x120 Porsche bolt pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

It's an article I read, Porsche just announced they are teaming up to make a good racing classic tire. They know Porsche people will die for authenticity, but also know they love to race, and don't want people racing on bias ply 30 year old tires, or putting new dumb wheels on their works of art lol.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1103566_porsche...r-classics
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

356's didn't have that wide of a wheel. you could buy a much cheaper 4 bolt wheel to fit on your car and use these tires. Having said that. I bet you a set of tires will be close to $1000 as they are marketed to a small group of rich car owners and will be special production. $800 a set for generic "R" compound tires is not a lot of money.

brad
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

adam78 wrote:
I know the wheels will fit a 1966 bug thanks to this forum search, but did the wheels change in the facelift?

356 / 67 bug = 5x205 bolt pattern
'68 up bug = 4x130 bolt pattern
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

The link about more tires being made to fit older Porsche cars is good news.
As already mentioned, the only downside is they will probably be expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: 75 Beetle with 356 wheels? Reply with quote

adam78 wrote:
Hey all, I am building up my 75 standard beetle for auto cross, I have done a decent suspension upgrade

What about some 195/55-15 (front) and 205/60-15 (rear) BF Goodrich g-Force tires? Plenty of grip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: