Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My brother scored me a real clean set of plates on ebay!

one of the CCAC crew had a oil bath air cleaner that he graciously donated

I was able to clean and repaint the top

This was a huge step forward! We got the trans back in! Also got the shift coupler connected, boots installed and clutch cable installed. Found out that the clutch spring is bad since it doesn't return the pedal. Also going to get a new throw out bearing

Found out that the little collar was installed backwards on the right rear axle, hence the shredded seal and leaky fluid. Was able to get everything all cleaned up and almost back together! Huge day, lot of momentum

ready to put the new one on.

Hoping to get the rear hard lines all bent up and installed next. Then adjust the pads, fill and bleed the brakes. Which means wheels and tires can go back on!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

well the other side was backwards too, so i took of the plate and replaced the small o-ring, main seal and paper gasket.

ending up picking up one of these

it makes getting these little boogers on way more easier!

then i was time to bend up the hard brake lines in the rear, this ended up being easier than I thought it would be and pretty fun!

however getting these in are a pain! I found using two small punches to wiggle it around to work for me

success!

i'm thinking that the bowden tube it too long thus causing the clutch pedal to stick. It's about 13.5 inches long and came with the bus.

picked this up for a few bucks at pep boys, going to run an always hot wire to it in the engine area to help me see at night

first you take your frame

and hog ring burlap

then the foam or horse hair

then the cover

repeat! burlap

foam

cover

and BAM!

Thanks to HotAirboy for coming over and showing me how to do this. He made sure that I actually did almost everything to learn it (which I appreciate). This is the first and one of I'd say "nice" things that will be on Helga. Seeing this actually got my wife finally a little excited to get it finished. She sat on it and smiled.

I got the little wheels that engine lid spring use off and all cleaned up on the wheel. A little grease and new c-clips and they spin freely. These were so crust before they would even move.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got my locks all back from the locksmith, now I have keys!

my buddy came over to weld the battery tray in and fix the rear rail

we put sheet metal under the hole in the window sill and welded down to it

all cleaned up and ready

por15. This one job used almost a whole pint.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got por12 under the right wheel wheel

and on the battery tray, both these areas also got seam sealer after this and will be painted

when down to Lowes and got two rolls of peel and seal for 16 each and for sound deadening

got this one inch rubber roller from amazon

got both sides done completely and the front doors. Will but putting it on the rear tray as well. Not on the roof because I fear it might get loose in the hot hot heat. It really made a big difference. Knocking on the side of the bus now doesn't sound so much like a hallow can.

was able to borrow a steering wheel puller which makes this job WAY easier!

took off the dirty bracket and i'll be restoring the wheel

another hung from the paint tree

time to do the fresh air flaps, I cut the rubber from WW slighty larger

some 3m yellow and clamps

here's an interesting thing I learned, some time in 66/66 they started adding a channel for the seal in the fresh air box. in this picture you can see mine doesn't have one but in the picture below...

it has one! This is a pic of my friends 66 bus. Mine's a 65. So for him replacing this seal is fairly easy.

for me it meant a lot of glue, tape and patience

I got new shock bolts installed since mine were a whole bunch of mismatched sizes.
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Looking good for sure!

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I put enough glue I believe and I'm happy with the vent flap seal

before and after on the flaps!

Getting these things back in is tricky! I found that bending the little connecting bars so they don't fall off makes it easier.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Nice work, you are really knocking stuff off your list, and getting a great understanding of your Splitty. Way to go!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

I sketched out the wood pieces I'll need to build the rear seat/bed. Looks like no getting around having to buy two sheets..

Was able to straighten the bulk head with a mini sledge. it was bowed towards the front

ready for paint

primered! I'll paint it with the same "Almond" color i did the front with

Zwartepiet came through with the magnetic bus sign action!! Awesome, can't wait to hold up traffic!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Like your postings,are the boys still helping?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Like your postings,are the boys still helping?

Here and there, they helped spray paint things hanging from the tree and roller the sound deadener.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

got her painted! Now i can put in the floor and start the bench seat.

MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Awesome!! Making me jealous that you went so far on your project than mine, I am so slow Shocked
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

went to home depot and got thin baltic birch cut for the floors and 3/4 inch birch for the rear bench. have them cut it saved me since i don't have a table saw.

used cardboard to build a template

floor are in! I'm real happy with how it turned out.

building another template to cut the sides of the rear bench

these are heavy rubber mats that I'm using over the wood.

it's 5mm and 27 lbs a roll! I think it will be nice once it's in.

put a coat of poly on the rear bench pieces to dry over night. Hope to get the mats and bench all in tomorrow!
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

is that 1/4" 4x8 baltic? What dimensions did you cut it at? I think the Westy's used 5x5s?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
is that 1/4" 4x8 baltic? What dimensions did you cut it at? I think the Westy's used 5x5s?

At home depot they call it 5mm but yes 4x8 was the sheet. I got two and cut them to 63 by 31. 5 to split the bus in half below is my sketch

This is from my receipt..

757295000108 5 MM PLYWOOD <A>
5.0MM 4X8 UNDERLAYMENT
[email protected]

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

thanks! price was right too. I'll be doing a floor for my panel this fall/winter.

Are you screwing it down to the metal floor, or just letting gravity do it's thing? What are you going to cap the cargo door with? Aluminum L channel?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Yeah cheap!

GLHTurbo wrote:
thanks! price was right too. I'll be doing a floor for my panel this fall/winter.

Are you screwing it down to the metal floor, or just letting gravity do it's thing? What are you going to cap the cargo door with? Aluminum L channel?

I'm planning on putting some of the press and seal down in spots so that the wood doesn't slap around while driving. It will be a cushion. But yes I plan on letting the weight of the mat and the rear bench holding it's down. I'm not sure if I need to glue the mat to the wood yet.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Wow Longboardluv super nice work and I love your step by step thread method as I thing I've missed some of mine, it is great to have us all learn by. I'm bookmarking your thread as I need some baltic floor cut, thanks for doing all the work for me Wink but yes measure twice cut once. I would like to know if that sound deadening was sticky back or did I see you used an adhesive? I think I should add some too at the very least on the noisy doors. Another question, how difficult was it to get the seat covers on and do you have any tips or threads/links for a novice? Yes I know your friend helped and great that HotAirboy made you do the work as it is such a great feeling of satisfaction to do it yourself.

Ask Everett to put your thread here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Longboardluv wrote:
Yeah cheap!

GLHTurbo wrote:

I'm planning on putting some of the press and seal down in spots so that the wood doesn't slap around while driving. It will be a cushion. But yes I plan on letting the weight of the mat and the rear bench holding it's down. I'm not sure if I need to glue the mat to the wood yet.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Wow Longboardluv super nice work and I love your step by step thread method as I thing I've missed some of mine, it is great to have us all learn by. I'm bookmarking your thread as I need some baltic floor cut, thanks for doing all the work for me Wink but yes measure twice cut once. I would like to know if that sound deadening was sticky back or did I see you used an adhesive? I think I should add some too at the very least on the noisy doors. Another question, how difficult was it to get the seat covers on and do you have any tips or threads/links for a novice? Yes I know your friend helped and great that HotAirboy made you do the work as it is such a great feeling of satisfaction to do it yourself.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Longboardluv wrote:
Yeah cheap!

GLHTurbo wrote:

Thanks! Glad to share and help!

Yes the "peel and seal" from lowes has adhesive. So you literally just peel and seal when using it. I would suggest you try it. It takes a lot of the rattle out

The seat covers weren't really that hard. If I were you I would go to the sew fine website and look at their how to section. You just have to pull and tug a bunch. The hog rings is something I hadn't used before. Go on youtube and look up how to cover seats using hog rings.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Thanks Longboardluv, is this the stuff? http://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-Instant-Waterpro...ng/1018733

I think this is the sew fine link you are referring to and it is helpful as my partner who studied costume design in college will be the best at this job and bring the personal bond together. For me I'll also need a video so I'll look on youtube.
http://www.sewfineproducts.com/seat-cover-installation/

Longboardluv wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Longboardluv wrote:
Yeah cheap!

GLHTurbo wrote:

Thanks! Glad to share and help!

Yes the "peel and seal" from lowes has adhesive. So you literally just peel and seal when using it. I would suggest you try it. It takes a lot of the rattle out

The seat covers weren't really that hard. If I were you I would go to the sew fine website and look at their how to section. You just have to pull and tug a bunch. The hog rings is something I hadn't used before. Go on youtube and look up how to cover seats using hog rings.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 26

Jump to: