Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulEvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

I know this is controversial but, I'm interested in converting to hydraulic lifters.

Please forgive my ignorance but, first off, is it even possible? If it is, any tips?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

I have a motor in my bus that was converted. I plan on converting them back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

Yes.....but a bus is one thing......why would you want to do this to a 914/411 or 412?.

Its a step backwards. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

The easiest way is buy the cam and hyd. lifters from diway3474 when he converts back. Just make sure you get the same lifters to the same lobe (He will need to mark them). This way you both win, He gets some money towards the new cam and lifters and you get a set-up ready to run.
PaulEvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Yes.....but a bus is one thing......why would you want to do this to a 914/411 or 412?.

It has to with with pragmatism. I live in an apartment complex that doesn't permit working on cars.

I've got the night-time stealth oil change down. But, the time for adjusting valves is a little much. Not to mention, being a big guy, getting underneath my little 914....

I know hydraulic lifters aren't without maintenance. I'd just like to get away from having to check the valves every time I do an oil change.

Mine's a daily driver so, I'm not really worried about doing hi-rpm. In my particular case, I don't really see a downside to switching.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Converting a type 4 to hydraulic lifter? Reply with quote

PaulEvan wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

It has to with with pragmatism. I live in an apartment complex that doesn't permit working on cars.

I've got the night-time stealth oil change down. But, the time for adjusting valves is a little much. Not to mention, being a big guy, getting underneath my little 914....

I know hydraulic lifters aren't without maintenance. I'd just like to get away from having to check the valves every time I do an oil change.

Mine's a daily driver so, I'm not really worried about doing hi-rpm. In my particular case, I don't really see a downside to switching.

I had the same problem for years.....living in apartments. The oil....I would do the same. Middle of the night fast, quiet and clean.

The valves take no longer to do than an oil change...even in a 914. I have done many.

But.....the valve adjutment you can do anywhere really since you dont need oil drain pans or anything else.

I also do valve adjustments hot....since it really shows you what the valve clearance is when its really important. ...when its fully warmed up.....and also shows you the natural differences there there typically will be within a set of valves. No two are exactly alike in heat expansion....but are usually (not always) close enough.

If you are running a 1.7L or 2.0L with D-jet....this allows more accurate setting of valves which is important for best tuning........and........D-jet runs poorly with hydraulic grinds and lifters.

I got away from adjusting cold at first....simply because of the logistics of apartment living.

When I realized what an improvement it made checking and doing fine adjustments when fully warmed up....I never went back to cold setting.

With this method the object is to set them once cold. Check them hot......by doing th3m in order......mark the pulley where TDC is on all four cylinders.

Reverse firing order is 1, 2, 3, 4... Wink .......so you turn the engine to TDC # 1.
Sitting in a nice shady park after a hard hot warm up.....you jack up one rear wheel....both for access. ...and because leaving the trans in 2nd or 3rd on a 914.....you simply turn the wheel in reverse to precisely crank the engine around to where you want it.

Distributor cap off.....verify piston #1 position by a combination of rotor position and the TDC mark.
Pop of the 1/2 valve cover......have two feeler gauges each of .002", .003" and .004". This is so you can let one cool while you use the other.

When fully warmed up....actual lash should be at minimum.....on a hot day......of .0025"....a very loose 002" gauge but a no-go on .003" gauge. Typically they are all .003". If a .004" fits. ....adjust that valve. If a .002" does not fit.....adjust that valve....and keep an eye on it.

Check by simply pushing....I used a short fat screwdriver.....on the knurled spots on the pushrod end of the rocker. Insert feeler blade. Nitrile gloves work fine. You are touching very little hot surfaces.

You can eiter make you adjustment now.....or jump up and adjust to cylinder # 2 position to check while things are still maximum warmed up. Then adjust #2 if necessary and back up to #1.

Put the cover back on and turn around to #3......and repeat this process.

On a 411/412 or bus.....I can do the full set in about 10 minutes flat. Just takes a little practice.

On a 914....it takes about 15 minutes total because it takes a little more reaching around to view things.

Your predicament....IIHO.....is not a good reason to switch to hydraulic lifters. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: