Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
I have not had issue on any Craftsman tools of recent manufacture, but I tend to look for the ones made in Taiwan as opposed to China.

bryan

Since I haven't purchased a Craftsman tool in over 20 years this is good to know. I have a 36mm socket and a breaker bar that have been in my tool box, broken, for over 25 Yrs. I think it's time to hit Craigslist to find old Craftsman tools if I need any new ones.

This raises the question, are there any US made tools with the same warranty and durability as old school Craftsman? My Danish neighbor has what I would consider the German equivalent of Craftsman. I would buy that if I could find a local source.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Without paying the exorbitant prices for Snap-On, Mac or Matco, I think Craftsman is the only dog in the fight. I had a 12 drawer roll-cab full of tools for years but I had to sell them in order to make rent during a rough patch several years back (and since I had left the service industry the need for them was almost nil). I don't know of any other US made brand that has that level of support or quality.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Sorry to see this guys restoration thread turn into a tool thread.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

No worries. It's my thread and I'm new around here so I welcome discussion. Very Happy
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

Fear not, as soon as KidKarmann posts an update we'll all get distracted by it and forget we derailed the thread with tool talk. We are all easily distracted by "shiny," and tools are SOOO shiny Wink

We now rejoin this thread in progress.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Had to put the project on hold for my daughter's birthday weekend so we'll pick it back up soon.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Since we aren't turning this into a 'best Tools' thread, I won't mention that I use Craftsman, along with Kobalt sockets & wrenches from Lowes, Husky wrenches from Home Depot, and various wrenches from HF...

I'll note as well that I haven't broken a wrench, socket, or adapter in Years, as I pick & use the correct tool for the job at hand.

...makes a difference. I don't used a 3/8" drive socket to remove axle nuts.

bnc
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Back on track...can anyone tell me if there is a safe way to remove the dash knobs? They all appear to be glued on. I have to pull off the cracked up dash fascia plastic and the knobs are tricky.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

they screw on, so turn them counter clockwise.

also once you get the knobs off the rings that hold the switches on unscrew. theres a special tool to unscrew them but i have used snap ring pliers and a big screwdriver to take them off in the past.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Outstanding. Thank you.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

After birthday celebrations and Mother's day are in the history books, we got back on track this weekend. Started by getting the back glass out and removing the rear seat back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled the rear bumper.

Then after some wrestling with me and my son (who is apparently a lot stronger than I gave him credit for) we got the body separated from the pan. (Before anyone panics, my next undertaking will be building a stand to set the body on so I can beat panels without sitting on the floor).

Found this delightful clutch cable repair done sometime back in its history.

And we broke out my birthday gift shop vac to clean up the 40 years of debris from the pan and get a better look at the rust repair areas to be addressed. (Pardon my garage. Given the time frame of the purchase of the car I wasn't able to get it as sorted as I would have liked beforehand.)

Overall, it was a productive saturday and now we can see exactly what we're working with and have full access to both parts of the car so we can make solid forward progress. I'm glad to see that the body has effectively ZERO rust. Bondo, however, is another story. Procuring rear pan sections is on the short list. If possible I plan on doing repairs of the sections that need replacing without disturbing the seat rails since the rust seems to be isolated to the sunken sections of the rear pan area.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Made a bit of progress pulling the front beam in prep for cleanup and rehab. Cleaning and prepping the pan is next. What is the secret to getting the old seal goop off the pan? Do any of you have a preferred method or a solvent that you use?
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Did you pull the body with just the two of you?
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Yep. After getting the rear bumper off and the back glass out we walked it across and rested it on the tires. Went nose, tail, nose, tail until we cleared the passenger shock towers and then set it gently on the floor.
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Looking good. You're best bet I'd say is a 4 inch grinder with a wire wheel. It will be messy. Or possibly A LOT of adhesive remover and a scraper.

Is it hard or soft "goop"?

Nice job getting the body off.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Awesome. I'll give the wire wheel a go. The texture depends on how warm it is in the garage. Goes from almost runny to a thick, gluey texture when it cools off.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen something like this? Found this sandwiched between the body and the right front of the pan acting as a shim. I can't say with 100% certainty that the body has never been off the car, but if it hasn't then someone in the factory stuffed this in there to even it out.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

that is part of this piece http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-141-801-049-A. it is suppose to be attached to the body. there are 2 bolts that go thew the pan and screw in to it.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

Darn it. Whatever that is apparently doesn't exist anymore in that listing. There is no pic or reference.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: My '73 Coupe. First VW build ever. Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?search=VWC-141-801-049-A&Submit=

Does this work?

Scotty... is the piece you were referring to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: