Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sellinmyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Funfest for Aircooled VW at Mid America Motorworks in Effingham, Illinois, is back for it's 18th year! Honoring Corky Yager, Mike Yager's older brother who was the Founder of Dade City, Florida’s Sunray Bugs, and the flame that ignited Mike’s passion for VWs.

Funfest starts on Friday (June 3rd) with the annual "fun run" which starts at Mid America Motorworks. Dozens upon dozens of Volkswagens make their way down to downtown Effingham for a large get together, which typically includes live entertainment, giveaways, food vendors, and fun!

Saturday (June 4th) is the main show date - which includes judging, guest panels, swap meet, low speed slalom, fun dome, install dome, and MUCH more. The show continues a second day into Sunday (June 5th) for additional activities and fun.

FYI to Bus/Camper owners: If you aren't a fan of accommodations in the traditional sense, no worries . . you can CAMP right on the show grounds!!

For more information, be sure to check out: http://www.funfestacvw.com/

Hope to see another great crowd this year!

----

Funfest for Aircooled VW
June 3rd - June 5th, 2016
Mid America Motorworks
2900 N. 3rd Street
Effingham, IL 62401

I haven't seen a thread posted about this yet - and it also wasn't in the events listing (I just added the above post this morning.) So, whose going this year? Cool
green71volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

I plan on attending this year. First year as a participate. Does anybody know if they have a schedule of events and times yet? I could not find anything on the site about it and would like to know who is on the stage Saturday night to see if I would stay for it.
green71volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Looks like they just updated their website with those details.
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

I thought about going never been how many buses usually attend
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

I've been the past three or four years. More bugs than buses. A nice selection of all types VW. Casey
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

We'll be there in our bus Saturday.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Ill be leaving around 7AM Saturday from Bloomington Ill keep my eyes open for you. Casey
crimson ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Ill be there in my Ghia.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Should be there Friday in time for the Cruise.

True there are lots of Bugs, Buggies and abortions, but the past two years I've gone there were a few nice Buses worth looking at.
One was a Hearse, never seen one like it before or since.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Excited to visit with you all and the Yager's again this year. I'll be departing St. Louis in a couple hours in my just finished 1959 Double-Cab! Can't wait to hit the road in this fresh restoration and hang out with everyone! I wonder what goodies the swap meet will bring this time?

If you see a Dove Blue DC clogging up the right lane of the highway heading towards Effingham, IL today, be sure to wave as you blow by!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Can't wait to see your truck in person Bill!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Just arrived home from the MAM "Funfest" over in Effingham, IL. I'm exhausted, what a fun weekend! Despite light rain on Saturday for a several hours (nothing that really slowed us diehards down any), those brave enough to ignore the weather forecast ended up having a great time. Lots of VWs, a pretty big swap meet (bigger than last year I think), lots of activities, and no lack of food and drink!

I drove my recently restored '59 Double Cab roundtrip from St. Louis, MO and she ran beautifully, although slow as was expected. Restored back to original condition, the 36hp engine paired with a "split-case" transaxle with reduction boxes had me cruising at 55mph the whole way. I tied up the slow lane on Interstate 70, but everyone including the truckers were patient and passed me carefully with a thumbs up and a wave! Great fun!

Too bad some of you sissies got spooked by the forecast and stayed home to watch TV re-runs on you couch. The rest of had a great time, and I'm sure you were missed. Next time get a little braver and drive your old VW to your local events. You're cars will survive a little rain, you might even also.

I'd like to extend a personal thank you to the entire Yager family and all of their friendly staff for their efforts on our behalf, and their hospitality. Hey Mike and Laurie, thanks so much for the personal hospitality that you extended to me to and my old D.C. You made my weekend special and quite memorable! I really, REALLY appreciate it!!!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Your Double cab is a work of art! I was parked by the Bugatti replicas and admired it. It was a wet morning for sure! Casey
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Hi Casey,

Delighted to hear that you got a chance to check out my debut of the DC. It has taken a lot of time and effort to put this one together. It was great to drive her roundtrip on my first long trip in the Dove Blue DC. I put about 250 miles on it over the weekend. Here are of a couple of shots just for you of the Bus while it was in Effingham this weekend:

At a photoshoot this morning about two miles down the street from the MAM "Funfest" show site...

Thanks again to the Yager's and their crew for their hospitality!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
bigblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

hauled my 1970 beetle from little rock and had a great time showing it. would have been nicer if someone from the 'celebrity' group actually looked at it. lots more to see than bright vw candy white paint and yellow wheels. unfortunate that happened. after coming off and on to the show for 10 years (school allowing), I'm afraid I wont be back. I don't support shows that are run on the buddy system (i.e.: eureka springs, dubsplash, and now, funfest. of which I have had my car at all of them).

just my opinion. since my car has won best of show in just 3 years of its resto-modding.
1970 Sedan (fresh restoration)Trophy Queen
1973 Super Beetle (Totaled in '99)
1972 Standard Beetle SOLD

looking for a 1969 Beetle hardtop

i mess with sasquatch on weekends.

jmsmilin wrote:
...he will be tucking blocks soon...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Hi "bigblue" and all,

Sounds like trophies are a big part of your VW scene. Sorry you didn't get the attention you expected. But I think you are wrong, I don't think that the celebrity judging is a "buddy system" thing at all at Funfest.

The whole event is basically a customer appreciation party once a year for VW enthusiasts. I've been honored to have been asked to be a celebrity judge for many of the past years of Funfest. The only direction given to the "judges" is to walk about and try to see as many of the cars as possible (they are parked all over the grounds - hard to see them all) and for whatever reason the judge is to pick the one VW out there that is their personal favorite. I can't speak for others, but I walk the field aisle after aisle looking for something that jumps out at me. In the past I've selected Buses, Beetles and Type 3's that were unique, rare and attracted me, and I've rarely been acquainted with the winners I've selected.

Sorry to hear that you have a problem with some events not recognizing you, and I hope you'll reconsider your future attendance at Funfest and other events . These VW functions are a lot more fun to attend if you don't put that "I've got to win" pressure on yourself. My vehicle didn't win anything, and I had an absolute ball there with the Funfest staff and my old and new VW friends. I wouldn't miss it! Staying at home and sulking is too boring to me. I'd much rather be around VWs and VW people!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
bigblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

bill- nice bus to begin with. rarely do people put them back to how they should be.

secondly, I never expect my car to win, (much less get a top 20 at a hot rod show) but to not have a single person come by and look the entire weekend is a little disappointing. yes dean did take a picture of it, and I think I saw you walk past, but for the most part, nada. mike yager drove right past us and didn't even look at us or the car. its sad how this 'customer appreciation' thing has become a 'give me your money and get very little in return' show. the 3 of us in my party were not impressed by how we were treated. I would have no problem coming back as long as this snotty way of doing things changes. what a way to keep customers. the last thing I bought through them was an engine and that was last april. I'm sorry that my experience was a sour one. but spending $1200 just to go to a show gets expensive fast
1970 Sedan (fresh restoration)Trophy Queen
1973 Super Beetle (Totaled in '99)
1972 Standard Beetle SOLD

looking for a 1969 Beetle hardtop

i mess with sasquatch on weekends.

jmsmilin wrote:
...he will be tucking blocks soon...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Enjoyed another year in Effingham, IL at the Mid America Motorworks VW Funfest. Bill's Double Cab is gorgeous! I also enjoyed sitting in on Bill's seminar of the restoration of this Type II. A job well done!

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

Thanks "cruiser"! Glad you liked the DC, I had a lot of fun at last years event. Someone ought to post up info about this years "Funfest" (about two weeks from now!).

I'll be going again, not sure what I'll bring, although my old '67 Westy camper hasn't been to MAM in a while, and I can camp in her!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 MAM Funfest - June 3rd-5th, 2016 - Effingham, IL Reply with quote

I plan to be there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: