Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
lonotch wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Hah, new reality TV series, DRONE WARS. Or BATTLE DRONES. If a drone is downed by another drone, how do you prove who piloted it?

It's funny you say that, I heard today that ESPN is going to televise drone racing.

And on top of that a few weeks ago on TV a guy makes drones for himself that shoots semi automatic pistols that he uses for target practice and wants to get it licensed for his property, now that is scary.

We have a local company that made the papers recently because they produce competition racing drones- I can't wait! Sounds like having the Reno air races on a palatable scale right here in Boise! As for viewing over my family pool- one look at my big powerful belly is enough to change viewing venues.
The glare from that would probably kill any cameras cmos sensor.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
What did you think when google earth took pics of your house from above and later street level views. The FAA,FBI,DOT these are what you know of what about black ops? You have no more so called rights. You traded them away for security remember?

true...all of it. but I will argue that google earth can't see into my windows. yes, we are being watched I suppose, but having a drone over the top of my house because some nosey douchebag can assemble a kit just isn't right...

It's not a lot different than the paparazzi using a telephoto lens to snap images of you while you are completely unaware. The older folks here might remember ( here go again,remember when) anyway Jackie Kennedy Onasis was filmed from a distance topless and those pics could be seen if you bought a hustler magazine mid 70s. Courts have ruled when you are outside you are fair game for any moron with a camera. So if you are sitting poolside with shirts off drone flys over, too bad so sad. All this talk of shooting them is bullshit too. The shooter will be the one going to jail for discharging a weapon within city limits,destruction of private property just to name a few. I'm not taking sides with the folks wanting to fly their little toys either. Just saying the deck seems to be stacked against gun owners,homeowners and basically hard working decent middle class folks, go figure.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I can just picture some generation millennial whatever who says "who is Jackie O ?. Hahahaaaaa Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

It's not a lot different than the paparazzi using a telephoto lens to snap images of you while you are completely unaware. The older folks here might remember ( here go again,remember when) anyway Jackie Kennedy Onasis was filmed from a distance topless and those pics could be seen if you bought a hustler magazine mid 70s. Courts have ruled when you are outside you are fair game for any moron with a camera. So if you are sitting poolside with shirts off drone flys over, too bad so sad. All this talk of shooting them is bullshit too. The shooter will be the one going to jail for discharging a weapon within city limits,destruction of private property just to name a few. I'm not taking sides with the folks wanting to fly their little toys either. Just saying the deck seems to be stacked against gun owners,homeowners and basically hard working decent middle class folks, go figure.

I get what you're saying. I live on over 1000 acres in the woods...my driveway is a spit over 1/4 mile long. sorry...I was shooting clay pigeons that day. guy must have got in the way with the drone Very Happy

the reality is no one has any reason to come on this property. my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile+ in either direction

I know that planning/zoning uses a program to view properties and see if you have built a structure on the property without a permit...I have mixed feeling about that

and yes...the middle class is drying up rapidly for lots of reasons, which is sad. thankfully I live in the land of gun racks and flannel. say what you will about it, but these folks have good values and ethics

the scary thing about drones is this:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/22/18-year-old-v...ce-in.html

and that is the sole reason I would take one out...too many nut jobs out there may want to make one to do random acts of terrorism....from a gun being mounted to dropping acid on a crowd at a 4th of july parade.

am I crazy? yea guess I am.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider that crazy
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Saw a dude droning up in the mountains yesterday. Seems like it would get old pretty quick, but the again I kinda got a short attention span....
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I wouldn't consider that crazy

Credible Threat.

Think CB scanner that finds RF and then duplicate it, then drone is yours.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I saw a video recently from a college in Michigan as I recall. It showed two drones hovering over a parking lot. One of them then shot out a NET, captured the other, then flew off with the netted drone hanging below. That is pure brilliance. If you had that setup and another drone came to bother you, there is no way they could trace you as you haul your prey out over the lake for a long free fall.

That said, regardless of what the laws might say, if I feel threatened, I will defend myself or my family with whatever means will diminish the threat. Wanna take a close look at my little daughter in the backyard? Then stop on by to pick up your box of drone pieces. No, I don't know where the camera went.

EDIT: found the video. https://vimeo.com/152279231
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that racing drones is very quickly becoming a seriously organized sport, just like racing anything else with an engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Laughing Have to agree- saw drone racing on youtube and it is bad ass- also saw a hand held computer corrected "Net thrower" that would net the drone and then descend on parachute- that would be a devise that would change the world of drone flying forever- big "No Drone Zone" sign on roof with several "dead" drones next to it- bet the pilots would respect that!!! Twisted Evil

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
.... One of them then shot out a NET, captured the other, then flew off with the netted drone hanging below. ........ you haul your prey out over the lake for a long free fall.
If the law says you can't shoot a drone, I think you'll be ok with the net capture. Think of it as part of a catch and release program.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
.... One of them then shot out a NET, captured the other, then flew off with the netted drone hanging below. ........ you haul your prey out over the lake for a long free fall.
If the law says you can't shoot a drone, I think you'll be ok with the net capture. Think of it as part of a catch and release program.

I can just hear the little "speech" you would give it - into it's camera before the "release" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

and plenty of dronze being used for racing.so witch is right witch is rong? I like to see racing and the drone angles are exelent....and if it happend to fall out of the air & get run over by that race car/bike then thats an added bonus to the footage.and if the race track is neer the playboy swimming pool shot there another added bonus...if the racing go's neer your back yard and slows or hovers long enough for you to get some shooting practice in there is another added bonus so....where is the down side?? I personaly cant waite till burger king will delever to me in less time that it takes me to drive their Wink and papajuans pizza too!!!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
When you start dealing with the FAA & subsequently the FBI & a mandatory 20 year sentence, I'm thinking I'd leave the drone alone, follow it back to the owner & beat them. An assault charge is a fine & maybe some time, & in some cases, a murder charge isn't as long, especially with good behavior.

Did you even read the article you posted? The FAA has proffered a rule; however, that rule conflicts with existing common law and State statutes regarding trespassing; therefore, any such incident will have to be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis. The FAA cannot issue a blanket declaration in which everyone has to abide by it.

Here is an excellent example of someone who shot down a drone for trespassing.

Then, there's this article where the FAA states guidelines for proper drone use:

Quote:
It was a case that gripped the nation. Or at least Kentucky.

Should it have temporarily escaped your pressured memory, William Merideth in July said he saw a drone flying above his property in Hillview, Kentucky.

He believed it was spying on his 16-year-old daughter who was sunbathing in the garden. So he took out his shotgun and blasted the drone out of the sky. He was arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief.

Now a Kentucky court has declared Merideth an innocent man. Bullitt County District Court Judge Rebecca Ward on Monday dismissed all charges against Merideth, reported local TV station WDRB-TV.

The drone's owner, David Boggs, had produced flight data that insisted his machine had been flying higher than Merideth had claimed.

The judge, however, seems not a fan of big data. She's a woman of the people. She declared that two human witnesses saw the drone below the tree line. This evidence was, to her, conclusive. To her, this was an invasion of Merideth's privacy.

Amateur drones hovering willy-nilly have disturbed more than just private citizens. Airline pilots' reports of drone close-calls on takeoff and landing have increased exponentially over the past year.

This summer, amateur drones flew over California wildfires, purely to capture dramatic pictures. This grounded helicopters which were desperately trying to drop water on the flames. There's still a $75,000 reward for anyone who leads authorities to those responsible.

The FAA's recommendations include not flying above 400 feet. "Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft -- you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft," the agency adds.

For his part, Merideth believes his case should never have gone to court.

"I don't encourage people to just go out and start blasting stuff for no reason," he told WDRB. "But three times in one day, three times over the course of a year, six times total, over one property? That's not right, that's harassment."

Boggs is reportedly considering his legal options.

Once Amazon and other retailers begin their deliveries by drone, there will surely be an almost permanent buzzing in the sky. How will people know whether the thing that's overhead is spying on them or merely delivering fresh underwear or zucchini to the nice people next door.

Every time technology thinks it's solving a problem, or at least creating new forms of entertainment, it brings with it new annoyances and potential for conflict.

This isn't necessarily a good thing in a nation where so many people own guns.

The article you posted is "ogga-booga" click-bait with no real substance.

Last edited by Gary on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Low_Slow
S@mb@ Pl@y@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
When you start dealing with the FAA & subsequently the FBI & a mandatory 20 year sentence, I'm thinking I'd leave the drone alone, follow it back to the owner & beat them. An assault charge is a fine & maybe some time, & in some cases, a murder charge isn't as long, especially with good behavior.

Did you even read the article you posted? The FAA has proffered a rule; however, that rule conflicts with existing common law and State statutes regarding trespassing; therefore, any such incident will have to be adjudicated on a case-by-case basis. The FAA cannot issue a blanket declaration in which everyone has to abide by it.

Here is an excellent example of someone who shot down a drone for trespassing.

Then, there's this article where the FAA states guidelines for proper drone use:

Quote:
It was a case that gripped the nation. Or at least Kentucky.

Should it have temporarily escaped your pressured memory, William Merideth in July said he saw a drone flying above his property in Hillview, Kentucky.

He believed it was spying on his 16-year-old daughter who was sunbathing in the garden. So he took out his shotgun and blasted the drone out of the sky. He was arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief.

Now a Kentucky court has declared Merideth an innocent man. Bullitt County District Court Judge Rebecca Ward on Monday dismissed all charges against Merideth, reported local TV station WDRB-TV.

The drone's owner, David Boggs, had produced flight data that insisted his machine had been flying higher than Merideth had claimed.

The judge, however, seems not a fan of big data. She's a woman of the people. She declared that two human witnesses saw the drone below the tree line. This evidence was, to her, conclusive. To her, this was an invasion of Merideth's privacy.

Amateur drones hovering willy-nilly have disturbed more than just private citizens. Airline pilots' reports of drone close-calls on takeoff and landing have increased exponentially over the past year.

This summer, amateur drones flew over California wildfires, purely to capture dramatic pictures. This grounded helicopters which were desperately trying to drop water on the flames. There's still a $75,000 reward for anyone who leads authorities to those responsible.

The FAA's recommendations include not flying above 400 feet. "Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft -- you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft," the agency adds.

For his part, Merideth believes his case should never have gone to court.

"I don't encourage people to just go out and start blasting stuff for no reason," he told WDRB. "But three times in one day, three times over the course of a year, six times total, over one property? That's not right, that's harassment."

Boggs is reportedly considering his legal options.

Once Amazon and other retailers begin their deliveries by drone, there will surely be an almost permanent buzzing in the sky. How will people know whether the thing that's overhead is spying on them or merely delivering fresh underwear or zucchini to the nice people next door.

Every time technology thinks it's solving a problem, or at least creating new forms of entertainment, it brings with it new annoyances and potential for conflict.

This isn't necessarily a good thing in a nation where so many people own guns.

The article you posted is "ogga-booga" click-bait with no real substance.

Too long, not reading it
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Ignorance is no excuse for the law.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I flew a kite with a bucket of sand as payload and let it go, never saw it again.
It literally flew out of sight. Do you think it's still up there?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
I flew a kite with a bucket of sand as payload and let it go, never saw it again.

Now I know how the hole got put in my roof. Damn flying bucket of sand...
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Now I know how the hole got put in my roof. Damn flying bucket of sand...

Where and when?? sorry Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

I am building a sort of carport thingy.....well it's about 12'wide and 8' deep and connects my house to my garage.I was building 3 days ago on it and there was a swarm of bees that kept circling me. I couldent see them suckers but they sounded big.I hoped they hadent built a nest under there whenI wasent looking and hadent finished enclosing it.so I went inside and found the can of wasp /whorenet spray just incase. they keep buzzing me but I could never seen them little suckers Confused then ....I saw that swarm.... a effing drone.if it had got closer I would of sprayed that sucker.just what I needed another distraction while Im on a ladder screwing away and swarm of bumble bees up my ass.

Last edited by mark tucker on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: