Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Now that it's required to register "drones" of a certain size, they now fall under the same protection as an airplane. Now it's illegal to shoot down, capture, or even threaten the drone or the owner/operators, if you do, it can result in mandatory jail time. Just saw it & wanted to pass it on.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/18/faa-says-shooting-down-drones-is-a-federal-crime/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Fine by me. You shouldn't damage anyone's person property to begin with.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

What if it's used to harass you, or spy on you, or to take inventory of your belongings on your property?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
What if it's used to harass you, or spy on you, or to take inventory of your belongings on your property?

Which is already happening. The CHP and anyone else with an aircraft can already do this. Except it's higher so you don't see it happening. Plus anyone can stand on the sidewalk and look in my house or yard. You don't own the airspace above your property so a drone flying over isn't "on" your property.

Its no different than me sitting in my living room with binoculars looking at you. The only thing that has changed is the vessel that is used do the spying.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Which is already happening. The CHP and anyone else with an aircraft can already do this. Except it's higher so you don't see it happening. Plus anyone can stand on the sidewalk and look in my house or yard. You don't own the airspace above your property so a drone flying over isn't "on" your property.

This is incorrect. See United States v. Causby, 328 U.S. 256 (1946)

As the Court held, the Common Law doctrine that a person owned everything from the depths of the earth up to the heavens was no longer applicable in the modern world; however, there needed to be a delineation of how high ownership could feasibly extend. Modern aviation routes have "floors" where air travel must take place, excepting emergency situations.

Some examples of trespassing include, but are not limited to: someone throws a baseball over private property; someone tosses a frisbee over private property; a neighbor's tree has branches that hang over private property. The same is true with a drone that flies below the established aviation floor. So, if someone flies a drover 10' off the ground, in front of someone's house, that is considered a trespass.

There are also trespasses if buildings are built in certain jurisdictions that block natural light or even wind, so you are incorrect that anything above the ground is fair game. There are instances where people had to tear down structures that blocked someone else's view or else the owner had to acquire rights much the same as those who own mineral rights but not the land above it.

Quote:
Its no different than me sitting in my living room with binoculars looking at you. The only thing that has changed is the vessel that is used do the spying.
See the above. It is quite different.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

That bitch would be on the ground and in a hole so fast that it would make their head spin! then they would need to get a search warrant to come on my property to see if they could find it and since the place is big enough and a lot of fresh turned ground it's unlikely that they would ever know what happened.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Hover over my property, and I feel threatened, and will stand my ground. Sorry about your (ex-) drone, I just removed the threat. Just try to sue me. If you are close enough for my shotgun to hit it, it is invading my privacy, which is an inherent threat I am free to protect myself from.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

When you start dealing with the FAA & subsequently the FBI & a mandatory 20 year sentence, I'm thinking I'd leave the drone alone, follow it back to the owner & beat them. An assault charge is a fine & maybe some time, & in some cases, a murder charge isn't as long, especially with good behavior.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

olspeed wrote:
That bitch would be on the ground and in a hole so fast that it would make their head spin! then they would need to get a search warrant to come on my property to see if they could find it and since the place is big enough and a lot of fresh turned ground it's unlikely that they would ever know what happened.

X2...BANG what drone? Cool

or better yet....

get some shitbox drone of your own and crash it into the offending drone. promptly call 911 to report a mid air collision between 2 aircraft. after they bitch at you then tell them you did the right thing as they are considered aircraft under FAA regs....and it was a mid air collision between 2 aircraft after all...

who are these assholes pushing these laws? love to see someone fly it right up to the crack of their teenage daughters t*tties and see how they felt about it then.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

What did you think when google earth took pics of your house from above and later street level views. The FAA,FBI,DOT these are what you know of what about black ops? You have no more so called rights. You traded them away for security remember?
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
What did you think when google earth took pics of your house from above and later street level views. The FAA,FBI,DOT these are what you know of what about black ops? You have no more so called rights. You traded them away for security remember?

They were not givin away for a number. They were slowly pilfered from under our matresses as we slept. We voted for all of this. One little initiative at a time. We sold the farm because we gots televisions and 7-11's.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Bread and circuses
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Bread and circuses

Look over here! Whilst I punch thou in thine groin.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Bread and circuses

Dude you need to quit smokin that shit.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Hah, new reality TV series, DRONE WARS. Or BATTLE DRONES. If a drone is downed by another drone, how do you prove who piloted it?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Great, now I need to wear the tin foil hat AND a paper bag over my head when I go outside in my own back yard.

But then again I could have been cleaning my shotgun at the exact moment that drone passed over my back yard and loitered, you know there's alot of accidents when cleaning guns, woooops!

I didn't read the link but what's the minimum altitude?, for aircraft it's a couple thousand feet over built up areas and 500 feet over unimproved land staying clear of dwellings, got to have a fairly good camera on board that thing to get a peek. And how does one report violators?, they must have to display a registration number like aircraft, but how tiny would that be?, could you even see it if you had the binoculars handy?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
enjoyther1de wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Bread and circuses

Dude you need to quit smokin that shit.

But why? If there was ever a day to have an excuse, this would be it.

lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Hah, new reality TV series, DRONE WARS. Or BATTLE DRONES. If a drone is downed by another drone, how do you prove who piloted it?

It's funny you say that, I heard today that ESPN is going to televise drone racing.

And on top of that a few weeks ago on TV a guy makes drones for himself that shoots semi automatic pistols that he uses for target practice and wants to get it licensed for his property, now that is scary.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It's funny you say that, I heard today that ESPN is going to televise drone racing.

And on top of that a few weeks ago on TV a guy makes drones for himself that shoots semi automatic pistols that he uses for target practice and wants to get it licensed for his property, now that is scary.

We have a local company that made the papers recently because they produce competition racing drones- I can't wait! Sounds like having the Reno air races on a palatable scale right here in Boise! As for viewing over my family pool- one look at my big powerful belly is enough to change viewing venues.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The unintended consequences of requiring drone registration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

true...all of it. but I will argue that google earth can't see into my windows. yes, we are being watched I suppose, but having a drone over the top of my house because some nosey douchebag can assemble a kit just isn't right...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: