Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Typ3nut wrote:
Recently received this from a friend that lived in the area of this dealership but couldn't remember the ERA ...
RITTER Volkswagen Dealership License Plate Frame, Marysville / Port Huron Michigan.
Could not find any info on this VW Dealership, Nothing in the Dealer Listing, Unknown Year ?
Metal, Chrome, Blue Background w/ White Lettering.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't see it is the 1970 or 1975 dealer lists either.

I wonder if it was either short-lived or even later?

I would have thought in the later 70's maybe... very odd find.
Port Huron and Marysville are on the same doorstep, I see that there was a George Lang Volkswagen in Marysville, MI which I don't know the year either but would assume that Ritter would be sometime after this VW Dealership in that area.
MonkeySee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Heres a pic of the original license plate frame still on the bus that I just purchased. Just found this thread and looking for information on this dealer.
YUMA
ALEXANDER VOLKSWAGEN

Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

MB56VW wrote:
Latest score

I have a beat up paul Koch that came on my early 55 beetle when I bought it years ago. not sure how old the dealership is, maybe it was serviced there then added?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MB56VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
MB56VW wrote:
Latest score

I have a beat up paul Koch that came on my early 55 beetle when I bought it years ago. not sure how old the dealership is, maybe it was serviced there then added?

it was the early 60's when they started. Started off as Gladstone and then it changed to Milwaukie-Oregon city. basically the same location though.
auskLBC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: I need a long beach frame! ): Reply with quote

snotchback wrote:
License plate frames I just got this weekend.
2. Beverly Hills Precision
1. Goleta Vista Volkswagen
1. Long Beach Circle Mototrs
2. Long Beach Clea Harrison
1. Palm Springs Charlie Cloyd
1. Salinas Ghent
1. Thornton Stockton
1. Ventura Masterson

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blade3562
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

So I'm a little late to this party. I have a few of these laying around but I need help locating one for myself. I'm looking for a Warrington Motors Bryn Mawr, PA frame. I have my original keychain, window sticker, every maintence record and even bill of sale for my 25k mile rabbit, just not the plate frame haha. It's kind of that last piece to push the car over the top for me. Recently someone on the forum contacted me stating the had one, but I missed out on it due to an email sync.

I have one already but unfortunately it's not in good enough shape to show, and it is also a 4 screw plate. I would prefer a bottom or side clip version as it is being installed on a Rabbit.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just discovered this thread and thought I would share a frame I picked up and refurbished. I only recently figured out where my car ('65 Sunroof Bug) was purchased originally (Gus Mozart in Palo Alto). I put out a WTB ad and picked this up for $50. It was broken on one side. I considered having it professionally restored, but that was going to run me around $400. So, I decided to go the DIY approach. I fixed the break with JB Weld (I should have spent more time eliminating the seam that still shows a bit). I used Ruby Red paint for the background to match my car. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Nice work, I don't see any break at all now.

$400 is crack head insane for a plate frame resto though!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

$400 is crack head insane for a plate frame resto though!

Yes it is...
>Click< to see my stuff for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Agree.....that's why $20 for some JB Weld and a couple of cans of paint seemed the way to go! I checked several places and to have it re-chromed, repair the break and paint the background, they all wanted around the same amount. I also found a nice one that was already restored and it was going for $420.

Thanks for the compliment on my work. If I could get paid $100 for doing these, I might retire Wink
vwluvrs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

I have been restoring, repairing these for a while now, and for your own use, or a friend, its a good thing to be able to do.
But commercially (aka getting paid) people want perfection,, and get a bit pissy when its not 'new' when they get them back.
They don't take into consideration that these are 'pot' metal (cheapest sludge metal possible) and typically 35-40 years old. Straightening them is doable, chrome and paint is affordable, but when they are destroyed (multiple pieces) they are a bugger to get back to really good shape.
The metal has to be repaired by solder (with a torch, not a soldering iron) or some other metal filling/repairing technique. Then old chrome removed (blasting or chemically) and polished out to remove the always there pitts. They will always be what I consider a 5 foot job,, Looks good from 5' away.
JB weld is a repair, but they wont be able to chrome over it. It has to be a metal repair of the metal. the JB will fall off during the chroming process (heat and chemicals)

>Click< to see my stuff for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Good points.....luckily I'm not a perfectionist. Nor would a a "perfect" job look right on my car....
Bluebug16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Has anybody ever seen a "Finnegan Volkswagen" or "Don Cain Volkswagen" plate frame from Syracuse, NY? Or any other dealership memorabilia for that matter?
Rippers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Looking for another Greenwich Pray frame to match my rear on my 36K '63

theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Picked up a couple of NOS frames lately.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Jesters Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Looking for a Bill Spreen Inc. license plate frame for my 67 singlecab

Deluxe Lowlight Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Just picked this frame up today from one of my local junkyards came with the plate too. There is no picture of this frame in the dealer listing

61 patina Ghia
71 bus
73 super beetle
74 thing
75 half bug
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll get it added
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

Frame I picked up recently. Leroy Cannon was the local VW dealer and this is the frame they put on the cars on their used car lot. I'm running this on my pgsg.

SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
prevailion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Plate Frame List and Dealer Discussion Reply with quote

I have been looking for a Neuwirth VW license plate frame and/or dealer tag for a couple years now. Neuwirth VW, Wilmington, NC. Anyone know where I can find one of these?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 113, 114, 115  Next
Jump to:
Page 99 of 115

Jump to: