Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
212degrees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

I am building a 1904 for my Vert Bug.
Will the Aluminum stock push-rods work?
Here is what I have thus far:

1. B6 (dual oil relief case, once over) cut for 90.5's
2. New CB forged & C/W'd crank 74mm
3. Engle W110 cam (I reused stock gears)
4. New Silverline bearings
5. I-beam 5.325" rods
6. Piston kit (Hypereutectic)
7. CB heads, 40X35.5 SS valves, single HD springs.
8. Solid rockers with stock 1.1:1

Thanks guys.
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

they make heavy duty aluminum that are quieter than the chromoly. I use them on my current engine. I had the chromoly on my 1904 and they were loud. There are a lot of places that sell the hd aluminum. I wouldnt use stock.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Better figure out the valve train geometry. Stock length may be too long, or too short. And with what you have going in this engine, I would choose dual springs and CM pushrods. Fairly cheap insurance it will last!
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Just get the cheaper HD aluminum ones CB sells, dont need the tapered ones.
212degrees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Thanks Smitty.
I'm not sure if my Aluminum pushrods are stock or HD.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

No need for dual springs or CrMo pushrods. Figure out your geometry and if the stock ones are the right length run them. I ran a 110 and 1.25s with hd single springs and stock pushrods for years racing auto-x and probably put about 50K miles on the motor with no issues.

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

my chromo's arnt any louder than the oe aluminum on es I had before them, but the aluminum pushrods did not have full tyme oiling. and diferent rockers.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

So what's the verdict? What are the quietest pushrods?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Chromoly can be quiet if you set them to zero lash, once the engine heats up and expands you will have a few thousands. Most dont know any better and set them to .006 and when the engine is up to temp the lash is excessive and loud.

As long as you run solid shafts with .002-.005 side clearance and zero valve lash cold it will as quiet or quieter than stock.

These days I prefer to use HD aluminum push rods to keep weight down.
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

I have a 1904 stroker that Pat built at cbperformance.....he used their new super duty aluminum push rods......there quiet and set at .006" in his initial build quote he listed chromoly......then he changed his mind and went with their aluminum, I ask why he said there really nice, and would be quieter.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

I also set mine when the engine is warm....but for you I would say get the cb hd ones. butt bee sure to get the geo right the first time along with everything else.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I also set mine when the engine is warm....but for you I would say get the cb hd ones. butt bee sure to get the geo right the first time along with everything else.

X2 on this. I started setting valves HOT on any pushrods....many years ago. It really makes no difference what your cold lash is....because you do not drive withe cold valves or pushrods.

You will find that since most valves are two piece induction or spin welded that they expand at different rates by .001" to .003" easily. I set tbem cold.....then measure them at full warmed up to see how they expand. ...at least three times. Then you can pretty much set them hot to about .002" to .003"....and they stay perfect. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Aluminum pushrods will always be quieter the steel. Single valve springs will always be quieter the dual valve springs. Steel transmits noise where aluminum deadens noise.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

In any off road situation, or any situation where you don't have easy access to your valvetrain (parking lot?), there is something to be said for being able to check/adjust your valve clearance without having to mess with feeler gauges...just one thing to be said for steel. I run them in my bus, low cost, low performance, no need to get fancy. Reliable.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Aside from the noise factor, chromoly pushrods weigh much more than heavy duty aluminum pushrods. Most people run a 110 cam on heavy lifters, heavy pushrods, unmodified rockers with the extra weight from the aftermarket adjusters, sometimes larger heavier valves, and heavier chromoly retainers. For a single HD spring, it really pushes its' limits. Something to think about.

Idk why you even considered duals for such a mild cam. Lighten your valvetrain and you'll be fine with singles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

[quote="bugguy1967"]Aside from the noise factor, chromoly pushrods weigh much more than heavy duty aluminum pushrods. Most people run a 110 cam on heavy lifters, heavy pushrods, unmodified rockers with the extra weight from the aftermarket adjusters, sometimes larger heavier valves, and heavier chromoly retainers. For a single HD spring, it really pushes its' limits. Something to think about.

110?? high rpm cam?? say it aint so!!!! if you build a engine with a 110 and expect a highrpm race motor your infor some effed up stuff&disappointments too. unless highrpm to you is 4000 Wink there are mant things that can be done when building that can alter the noise&wear of the valve train& also the entire engine. like I said befour, for your app I would go for the aluminum cb hd pushrods.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

Not to high jack this thread, but I have a question about rust on new stock pushrods.

Due to health, work, and my son going to Afghanistan which really stressed me out, they sat in a unopened box for more then a year.

Should I buy another set of pushrods ?

Thanks

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Aside from the noise factor, chromoly pushrods weigh much more than heavy duty aluminum pushrods. Most people run a 110 cam on heavy lifters, heavy pushrods, unmodified rockers with the extra weight from the aftermarket adjusters, sometimes larger heavier valves, and heavier chromoly retainers. For a single HD spring, it really pushes its' limits. Something to think about.

Idk why you even considered duals for such a mild cam. Lighten your valvetrain and you'll be fine with singles.

Says who?.....just weighed one or my type 4 chromo pushrods at 65.4 grams versus the stock aluminum at 72.8 grams.

Ray
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Not to high jack this thread, but I have a question about rust on new stock pushrods.

Due to health, work, and my son going to Afghanistan which really stressed me out, they sat in a unopened box for more then a year.

Should I buy another set of pushrods ?

Thanks

Scrub them with some steel wool. Then thoroughly clean them. You should be good to go. Unless they are heavily pitted.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Push rod question, Aluminum or Chromoly? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Says who?.....just weighed one or my type 4 chromo pushrods at 65.4 grams versus the stock aluminum at 72.8 grams.

Ray

Just saw this, so I went out to measure. I've measured before and came to that conclusion awhile back. Pictures aren't uploading for me for some reason right now. Tried on my phone and on my pad.

Manton Aluminum HD 11.500" (uncut) with end on the scale top as well - 49.0 grams

Manton Chromoly 11.017" cut with end recently installed - 88.5 grams

That chromoly pushrod is shorter and still weighs almost twice as much as the aluminum HD. I had a set of Norris HD 11.250" pushrods, and they weighed 46 grams when cut to 11.003".

I weighed the cheap SCAT stock length steel pushrods. 81 grams.

I'm failing to see how a T4 pushrod and a stock aluminum pushrod even compare to what I was originally discussing, but I make my conclusions based on these measurements listed. If you want to see my pictures at a later time, I'll upload them as soon as the gallery is working or my devices let me upload.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: