Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Just google NLAVW. I don't know what it stands for (no longer available? ) but that's the name of the company. They are located in the UK. They offer some great stuff like the early bay wood grain Formica, all sorts of trim and upholstery etc.

I just put two more covers on. The bottom and back to the Westy bed. They are great. I moved several snaps around on the wood but I think that's to be expected. They seem to very durable and those two fit real well.
Sorry but I love the mustard vinyl Laughing

Here's the link. http://nlavw.com/gb/
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Fwiw, NLAVW asked if I would send them my original 71 jump seat back cover and they will copy it and send me a new cover along with my original one back. They said to keep the one they already sent me and they will reimburse me for the shipping.
I sent it out yesterday and will report when I have a new one.
These guys are great and I just wanted to give them two thumbs up for quality, service and support. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Anyone have a stateside or better yet Canadian source for the yellow vinyl?

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

I would guess it stands for "No Longer Available- Volkswagen".

I like the mustard stuff but if sleeping on it the best thing to do is get a thick twin fitted sheet to cover the whole bed. I usually put a folded comforter under the twin sheet too. It makes for a very comfortable bed and you won't wake up stuck to it. After you've knocked the crap out of your head on the headbanger a couple times, it's good to have a nice place to sleep. Cool

It would be cool if they would make those sets in the 1973 cloth mustard too, maybe even plaid or different colors for early buses. It is great that they have any of it available though, I'm glad to see that.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
It would be cool if they would make those sets in the 1973 cloth mustard too

Cloth? I was looking at a '73 yesterday (3500 for a non running, needs a new engine, Westy. With the little rust it had, I still think it's overpriced) and it had vinyl. The interior looked very original right down to the rubber mat remnants sticking out of under the fridge.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
It would be cool if they would make those sets in the 1973 cloth mustard too

Cloth? I was looking at a '73 yesterday (3500 for a non running, needs a new engine, Westy. With the little rust it had, I still think it's overpriced) and it had vinyl. The interior looked very original right down to the rubber mat remnants sticking out of under the fridge.

Yep, most '73 westys I've seen have the mustard cloth. I had a camper kit out of a 1973 in my old bus and it too had the mustard cloth.

Nice and comfortable for sleeping once I removed it, cleaned it several times and put in new foam! That is one upside about the vinyl, they are more sanitary and the foam tends to stay in much better condition.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I was looking at a '73 yesterday ............and it had vinyl. ................ the rubber mat remnants sticking out of under the fridge.

That's 2 big red flags that say there wan't all that much "original" going on there, a 73 would have grey speckled vinyl lino under the fridge and yellow cloth rear seats if it was OG. Always look at the M plate before getting too excited.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

By rubber mat I meant linoleum... there wasn't much left though, so I'm not sure. I don't think that bus was good though. If you'd like I can post the ad here...
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

I may go look at another '73, see my wanted ad if you want, this time I'm doing some research. I went to see the colors, and saw this...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1973colors/6.jpg
Gold colored vinyl! Wasn't it cloth or is this like a mid year type thing like '67 beetles?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Don't forget many brochures were recycled from previous years. All the 73's I've seen had the yellow (gold) cloth, although I can't say exactly what month the rear upholstery actually changed. The vinyl is much easier to keep clean, but the cloth is far more friendly to sleep on, flip a coin. As for it being the only thing wrong with an otherwise nice bus don't let it be a deal breaker, maybe a PO hated the squeaky sweaty vinyl and upgraded to the more midnight squirming friendly cloth? Wink .

Post pics and M plates for us to deconstruct if you have concerns.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Allright, if I go look at it I'll post m code pics. It's in PA, 3 hours from me so it may be a few weeks before I go. I don't know if this bus has an engine, but it looks good. By any chance, is anyone making the mustard cloth?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Don't forget many brochures were recycled from previous years.

FWIW
I have a '73 magazine ad that shows the cloth (which could well have been retouched in) but has the Child Cot on the wrong side.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
By any chance, is anyone making the mustard cloth?

Wonder if this cloth would be suitable?

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/188-westfalia-curtain-cloth-yellow-for-late-bay-per-metre.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/188-westfalia-curtain-cloth-yellow-for-late-bay-per-metre.html

That does look very close to pictures I've seen.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Xevin wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

That does look very close to pictures I've seen.

I suspect you could find a very similar color and texture in a modern marine or outdoor upholstery fabric, authenticity is nice, but stain resistance and durability has come a long way in 43 years.

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

This is nice and suitable for the job. It's also suitable for worship according to Kovi Very Happy Does this pass mustard (muster) with you BD Wink

https://www.kovifabrics.com/search/product_detail/...fgodePgOwQ

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

I've found this,
http://www.houzz.com/photos/10860157/Solid-Indoor-...oor-fabric

And this
https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/robert-allen-contract-linen-image-mustard-fabric-.htm
I believe the real stuff has a pattern/ weave look like the second one.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

Atta boy 67 ctbug. When choosing fabric for upholstery just be familiar with the term "Double Rubs", not to be confused with "Rub and Tug" Shocked
As you can see there are many fabric options to get close enough. And to BDs point, some even better options then OEM.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

I asked about the frame of the bus, he said it's good. I'm getting interior pics tomorrow. He said it didn't have an engine or trans. If I find a bug upright engine and trans will it bolt up? If not, how hard is it to find a pancake engine and trans that runs, and what is the going rate?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the name of the mustard upholstery of early westies? Reply with quote

My previous post remains, but I just found this post....
Karl wrote:
lstoudenmire wrote:
Just to clear the confusion, I have attached the original window sticker that states leatherette interior for the '73's. So at least some of the '73's were manufactured with the vinyl interior. It may be seen here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=302027

What are the 5 numbers after the 3. on the Westy plate on the left lower corner of the bed wood?

You guys must be tired of hearing me ask this but there is a method to my madness!

Westfalia built the campers using partially built buses from the VW assembly line. Not all things are cut and dried. Some things were early year model changes, i.e. 67 buses having back up lights and dual master cylinders.
The mustard cloth is one of these.
The honey opal vinyl was used from 8/67 to sometime in 10/72. It was used up to Westfalia serial number 3. 02056.
The mustard cloth was used sometime in 10/72 to the end of the 1973 model year and from Westfalia serial number 3. 02057 to the end of 3. serial numbers.
The plaids started for the 1974 model year and Westfalia serial number 4. 00001 and up.

I am trying to confirm the Westy serial numbers from my literature with real life Westfalias.

That confirms '73 busses came with vinyl early on!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: