Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corner mold windshield seals
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Corner mold windshield seals Reply with quote

The windshield seal I received from Kevers doesn't appear to have a corner mold shape. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Have any of you installed one of these seals? I just assumed they will fit on the corners OK. Bob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Corner mold windshield seals Reply with quote

Not sure.

If the seals are original cross section and/or are type 3 cross section....they should flex well enough to not be an issue.

The problematic seals for front and rear windshield...are the late bus seals.

My front windshield still has a gasket from a bay window bus. Its all I could get and did not have time to work out any of the other methods I have been working on. Also when I replaced it....like 1998-99....there were just as few type 3 seal options other than NOS....which where frighteningly expensive back then...so I used the bus.

Because the bus seal has a really thick outer hump compared to type 3 and 4....it has a tendency to buckle slightly on the front windshield corners.
It still seals well....but has slightly odd looks.

I used a bus seal on the left quarter window...which is large on a two door sedan. I literally had to grind and sand the ID and groove of bus gasket to get it to make the tight curve of the rear point on the window.

From what I know of the original profile you should have few if any problems on the front or rear windshield.

Hopefully others will chime in. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickycox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Corner mold windshield seals Reply with quote

I've used one of their windscreen seals on my 412 Variant and generally they fit ok, the only slight issue is the top corners as because the corners of the seal are not moulded shape it tends to pull the outer edge just off the radius of the metalwork...

I used sealer when fitting the seal into the body and this helped in those top corners. No leaks and looks good...

On another note before I had used a Genuine VW NOS seal and that only lasted 3 years.... bear in mind my car is a daily driver and used in all weather

Classic Volkswagen & Porsche Restoration

www.wonkydonkeyemporium.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/thewonkydonkey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Corner mold windshield seals Reply with quote

rickycox wrote:
I've used one of their windscreen seals on my 412 Variant and generally they fit ok, the only slight issue is the top corners as because the corners of the seal are not moulded shape it tends to pull the outer edge just off the radius of the metalwork...

I used sealer when fitting the seal into the body and this helped in those top corners. No leaks and looks good...

On another note before I had used a Genuine VW NOS seal and that only lasted 3 years.... bear in mind my car is a daily driver and used in all weather

Yes.....it can be tough with NOS rubber. Even though it may have been stored in a bag in the dark......its still OLD rubber.

Almost all types of rubber change/age over time. It takes a portion of its life away.

In reality.....though we as ancient VW owners have gotten away with murder.....meaning a great many have seals that still seal (though they are no longer very flexible).....at 30-40 years old.....IF....they are undisturbed.

In actuality I found early on that the seals real/useful lifespans....meaning the ability to stay pliable enough to move around a bit on cars that may be undergoing a lot of work.....is about 10 years.

I got my first 411 ....a 1972 4 door.....in 1979 with 55k miles on it. It was an Oklahoma/Texas car. Meaning.....hot summers, wet springs, winters at freezing or worse.....but sunlight year round. By 1981 and close to 100k miles......they were leaking at the sharp corners....meaning lower edge of windshield and rear quarters.

They still looked ok.....were still straight....but getting that split/crack in the outer lip in the corners.

If 10 years outside is about the real pliable limit......indoors in the dark for 30 years will easily take half of that or maybe more.
EPDM is tough stuff but does not last forever. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: