Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Country of Manufacturing" Filter Classifieds - Brazilian Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you consider a "COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING" filter for the classifieds useful?
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 47 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 66

novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

The largest Paradox is current and former Germany VW employees travelling to Brazil, finding a splitscreen, buying and shipping back to them in Germany.
Yep it happened and more than you think.

My brother worked for Voith Siemens for a good time, witnessed two splitscreens been bought and shipped over to Germany one for a Director and a another for a VP back in their Germany HQ's aprox 10 years ago.
They always wanted one so got help (gave orders ? Cool ) from local employees to source, buy, procure and engage restoration services, store and ship using logistics etc from their company facilities.
I am not posting here but I have photos from both kombis, both deluxes and in great original/restored condition.

But mate, they probably know shaite and you should know better than them !
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

novetti wrote:
Yeah lets have a separate classifieds for German Buses only.

I repeat: no one is asking for a separate ANYTHING. I was only curious to know how other members of the split windows forum felt about having the ability to filter the results on the classifieds so one can only see the type of bus that interest you.

That was all.

The first thing i said was that i have nothing against Brazilian buses, they are just not my thing... heck, one of the most desirable bus models is the 23 windows barndoor, and i simply don't like those either... in fact, i dislike anything with a sun roof on it... so, this is not about snobbism or any of that crap... i just wish i could see only the buses i want to see. I don't understand why so many of you get offended by such a simple idea.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Nope, I owe a 1966 deluxe German bus.....My last name is Spitalere, people call me spitty, spits, spitoon, spitfire, spit-on-larry just to name a few, hence the name here on Samba spitty, oh and 1974 would be the year I was born.

Ok, got it.
Sorry about that. As i said, it was only an assumption, and a bad one Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

A filter (checkbox) seems like a reasonable option to implement for those that want to easily filter out those types of buses. The challenge would be making sure those people with these buses fill out the ad correctly so the search filter works.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you are buying enough cars that sorting ads takes up your life, you have other ways to deal with the data. I doubt anyone here does that.

Thinly veiled emotional need not worthy of the effort of the Board Owner and mods, IMHO.

It is not a matter of number of vehicles purchased. Or emotional needs.

Dude, it is a SIMPLE matter of practicality:

you are browsing stuff, there is some stuff you are not interested in, and it keeps showing up among the stuff you are interested in, therefore you wish there was a way to see only the stuff you want to see.

I like to see the classifieds on a daily basis. I like to see what's new on the market.

I do not check the baywindow classifieds. i do not check the Type 1 classifieds. I check the split windows classifieds, because thats what im interested in. But i doubt that any member of the split window forum likes or is interested in ALL type of buses, including the Brazilians, so... why is so difficult to accept that some of us just don't want to see all buses in OUR OWN PERSONAL SEARCH RESULTS?

I highly doubt that Ev thinks this is not worth of consideration if enough people ask for it... and from the technical point of view it is not much difficult to do either.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
A filter (checkbox) seems like a reasonable option to implement for those that want to easily filter out those types of buses. The challenge would be making sure those people with these buses fill out the ad correctly so the search filter works.

This.

I'm no expert, but i think this is what we need:

1- Classifieds>Place an Ad:
Adding a mandatory COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING field when creating a new ad (a drop-down list, capable of selecting only one option).

2- Classifieds>Search:
Adding a COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING filter.

Voila.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

ya... the floor of Brazilian flippers is off the charts.. I dig them.. I think they are cool.. and yes.. I would own one.. but yes.. they need their own section in the classifieds.. Very Happy
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1916789

I mean hell.. This is a cool bus! Way over priced.. But a cool bus...
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

novetti wrote:
But mate, they probably know shaite and you should know better than them !

Your argument is hilarious! ...and actually proves my point:

A former VW executive is interested in Brazilian buses... great! that means that ANY INDIVIDUAL might like/want/search/buy any type of bus they find interesting. That very same principle means that anyone should be able to exclude those buses that are not interesting to him/her.

The fact those guys are/were VW executives means shaite to me. And just because they like Brazilian buses and i don't doesn mean i know more (or less) about nothing... It is a simple matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE, not knowledge.

If that's some sort of endorsement for you, or makes you feel better about owning or liking Brazilian buses, then great! whatever floats your boat...

This is not a debate on German vs. Brazilian buses... remember that all i wanted was to know if others would find a COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURING filter useful or not.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Since this thread has zero to do with bus technical details / advice or real bus issues, maybe it should be moved out of this forum and into the Site section.

I like srfndoc's idea (with the checkbox).... like if you select "category" = 49-67 bus vehicles.... the checkbox would automatically pop up & you'd select German or not German.

OR.... like how you can hide WTB ads, show WTB ads only, etc... if you could hide/unhide German origin. Seems like could get to be a pain in the ass though.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Since this thread has zero to do with bus technical details / advice or real bus issues, maybe it should be moved out of this forum and into the Site section.

Agree. You are right.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

It should be directed at how to donate section.

I noticed that the OP does not have a star next to his user name and only three or four of the people that posted here do. If you would like to see some changes made throw some cash at E.B. and make a request. In fact this thread made me realize that I had let my premium membership lapse and renewed it. I rarely sell anything here and I buy a few things but i use the forums a lot and its worth $50 a year.

I voted no by the way, I can wade through adds and figure out its not what I want. There is a bay seat listed in the split bus parts right now. will it fit in a split yes but should it be somewhere else, probably.

Just my opinion.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
It should be directed at how to donate section.

I noticed that the OP does not have a star next to his user name and only three or four of the people that posted here do. If you would like to see some changes made throw some cash at E.B. and make a request.

DONATION:

"A donation is a gift given by physical or legal persons, typically for charitable purposes and/or to benefit a cause."

What you are suggesting is that i better PAY if i want the idea of having a filter on the classifieds to be considered. I don't think that's necessary.

There's a ton of PAID advertising on this site, and i have purchased a ton of the stuff advertised, so i believe all parties have benefited of my presence here in some way, even though i haven't donated.

Donations are GIFTS, and if you are the type of person that makes a gift, only to then point at others because they haven't donated, "counting stars" (i mean...REALLY?) and such... well that speaks volumes about the type of person you are. I believe you already made your case all by yourself.

I'm a member of this community, and i don't feel like im not entitled to make a suggestion just because i haven't donated.

So, in conclusion:

I don't care about your *insert adjective here* star, i wasn't even aware of the whole star thingy until now, and the fact that you pointed at me because i don't have one is a childish remark, to say the least.
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Admin note: I am reading the comments here as they progress.

The subject has come up before with people requesting the Brazilian Buses be in their own category but I didn't believe that was justified as they can be skipped and they were not overwhelming things.

I'm open to a discussion of various options though.

One thing I might be able to do is allow you to perform a search and turn on minus(-) searches to exclude things.
So you could do -Brazilian to exclude any ad with Brazilian or Brazil or whatever you would like in the title.
Of course this requires you to do a search rather then just be browsing but that is true for a checkbox as well.

Donations:
Donations don't affect anything on the site and paying for me to do something, while appreciated, probably wouldn't affect whether it gets done or not.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

VirtuallyReal wrote:

Brazilians are NOT the same as Germans. Specially as an investment. Period.

I don't feel i overpaid for it; yes, i have invested good money on restoring it, but only because I believe it is worth the investment and the effort.

Brazilians buses are cheaper reproduction of ORIGINAL German buses, just as "Squire by Fender" guitars are cheaper reproductions of USA made Fenders, or Ephiphones are cheaper versions of Gibsons. They will never be seen as THE SAME.

You cannot make us to like or want Brazilian buses just because you do, or because you think "they are all the same".

Hopefully my next project will be a GERMAN Porsche 356, and I don't even know (or care) about how much a replica 356 costs.

Humm...buying old kombis as An Investment. Very Wise! Projections currently establish they will be worth a Gazzillion in years to come.

Nice Comparison about a Car Manufacturer operating overseas in the 50's 60's with today's Guitar making business. They are almost the same thing aren't they?

Nice that you have a 356 OG to fix. What else do you want to brag about?

I will be parting away and find some other hobbie if the phrases above reflects the majority of this new generation discovering and getting involved with old VW's now. Very boring and sad really.
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I'm open to a discussion of various options though. One thing I might be able to do is allow you to perform a search and turn on minus(-) searches to exclude things.
So you could do -Brazilian to exclude any ad with Brazilian or Brazil or whatever you would like in the title.
Of course this requires you to do a search rather then just be browsing but that is true for a checkbox as well.

Thanks Everett, that idea sounds perfect to me. I knew you would understand Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

novetti wrote:
Humm...buying old kombis as An Investment. Very Wise! Projections currently establish they will be worth a Gazzillion in years to come.

Nice Comparison about a Car Manufacturer operating overseas in the 50's 60's with today's Guitar making business. They are almost the same thing aren't they?

Nice that you have a 356 OG to fix. What else do you want to brag about?

I will be parting away and find some other hobbie if the phrases above reflects the majority of this new generation discovering and getting involved with old VW's now. Very boring and sad really.

First, a little history for the ignorant:

http://www.epiphone.com/History.aspx
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier

Both Epiphone and Squier were actually old companies (over 100 years) who were acquired by Gibson and Fender... So, yeah, you know what you are talking about... My point was not about companies but about versions of products with inferior quality.

Second, i dont own a 356 yet. I clearly said: "HOPEFULLY my next project will be a GERMAN Porsche 356", as something i wish for the future... and my comment was about how 356 replicas look like ORIGINAL GERMAN 356's but are in no way the same... But of course, you being a Troll, already twisted my comments into "bragging".

The rest of your *cough* "opinions" were things like how bad investment a bus is, and other positive and constructive criticism to "the new generation of VW enthusiasts"... Talk about sad and boring... You must be so great at parties!

Go ahead and part away sir... You haven't made a single positive comment so far, so I'm sure your negativity and stale sarcasm wont be missed here.

Everett already proposed a solution to the main reason i started this thread, and the poll already reflects what I imagined... So, I'm satisfied.

I won't keep feeding Trolls, so feel free to stop replying now, as I won't be answering to you anymore.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Yawn......, if you are buying a bus as an investment you owe it to yourself to do the homework first and find out which ones are real and which ones may not pay the biggest return within certain circles, if you are stupid enough to click "buy now" on the first shiny bus you see without educating yourself first you deserve what you get.

I read the classifieds every day, so far the odd Brazilian bus that's in the mix hasn't caused me any discomfort or in any way degraded my shopping experience, in fact it's kind of fun to see buses from far off countries as a curiosity and some look like pretty good deals.

Some of you guys think the Samba is the only place on the planet people shop for "one of those old VW vans with all the windows", there's a much bigger market out there that doesn't give a sh*t where it was made or what it started out as, as long as it's shiny, brightly colored and will impress your buddies it meets many buyers expectations. They aren't in it for the collector deal nearly as much as just to have the latest garage ornament that they'll be bored with in a couple years, German, Brazilian, African, Thai, who cares?, if they lose money on it that's a great write off on next years taxes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
VirtuallyReal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yawn......, if you are buying a bus as an investment you owe it to yourself to do the homework first and find out which ones are real and which ones may not pay the biggest return within certain circles, if you are stupid enough to click "buy now" on the first shiny bus you see without educating yourself first you deserve what you get.

Yawn.... that's elementary, my dear Watson.

No one here is talking about people "accidentally" buying a Brazilian bus, or not being "educated enough" to be able to differentiate an original german bus from other stuff out there... for us it is just annoying to see Brazilian buses mixed in with the OG ones, even though we are not interested in them.

BTW i spent at least 6 months looking for the right bus before I committed to buy one, and it wasn't shiny when i got it; i went to see it TWICE and brought experts with me, so i knew exactly what i was buying, and how much i needed to invest to make it as i wanted it to be... So, I frankly don't see the point of your comment, as it doesn't apply to me at all.

busdaddy wrote:
I read the classifieds every day, so far the odd Brazilian bus that's in the mix hasn't caused me any discomfort or in any way degraded my shopping experience, in fact it's kind of fun to see buses from far off countries as a curiosity and some look like pretty good deals.

I bet you do, and i think i can understand why: apparently you own a Bay Window bus... hence i'm not surprised you are pro-Brazilian too, specially in a thread that was originated in the split window forum:)

it is funny how almost all negative comments so far came from Bay Window and Brazilian buses owners, even though the poll was intended for hearing the opinions of ORIGINAL GERMAN SPLIT WINDOW OWNERS and how they feel about the mixed results on the classifieds searches.

BTW i have no interest in Bay Window buses either Wink

busdaddy wrote:
Some of you guys think the Samba is the only place on the planet people shop for "one of those old VW vans with all the windows", there's a much bigger market out there that doesn't give a sh*t where it was made or what it started out as, as long as it's shiny, brightly colored and will impress your buddies it meets many buyers expectations. They aren't in it for the collector deal nearly as much as just to have the latest garage ornament that they'll be bored with in a couple years, German, Brazilian, African, Thai, who cares?, if they lose money on it that's a great write off on next years taxes.

Frankly my goal is not to impress anyone. I've spent almost 2 years already, between finding and restoring my bus, and it's been a very entertaining PERSONAL experience; I've leaned a lot, and have met a ton of very nice people through TheSamba... and my bus is not even done yet Smile

So, to you, and Those superficials you mentioned, who, quote "doesn't give a sh*t where it was made/are looking for a garage ornament to impress his buddies/dont care as long as it's shinny, i will say this:

there's a bigger market out there, by all means go and be part of it! and leave us in peace here on TheSamba... We feel like at home Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Country of Manufacturing" Filter for the Classifieds Reply with quote

Ouch!, you sure told me.

Just to clarify, I have more buses than you have fingers and toes and most are splits, a few even have all them funny windows on the top and at the back corners, all are German built but I don't in any way feel threatened by models that didn't roll out of Wolfsburg or Hanover. The more buses that roll by on the street, appear on TV or get thier pics posted on some social media site just make the uninitiated want mine more (if I ever decide to shed a few), odds are they are more interested in the "look" than a birth certificate. There's far more buyers who want a trendy accessory than a piece of history, like it or not, sadly that's where the bucks are lately.

Your little "anti foreign built" campain reminds me of a certain state's "bathroom bill", are you really like that?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: