Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird Round Vw Sign
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

Hi, I found this sign kicking around, has anyone got any info on it? It's an aluminum frame attached to a plywood backing. The blue VW section is plastic attached to separate aluminum letter forms against a white grained plastic background. I don't think it lights up, there's no cord but there's something knocking around inside, I'm afraid to take it apart. Thanks for any info!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

Looks like a channed letter style with trim capped faces. I would think the rattle is a broken neon tube. Likely too old for leds. The plywood backer would support the tube stand offs and transformer. I would open
it and have it repaired. Does not appear to be a licensed logo due to proportions but cool Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I took off the V and the W and you are right. There are neon tubes inside. I am not familiar with neon setups but there are cables coming of each bank of lights that are cut. So it probably was removed from wherever it was installed, cables cut and mounted on the plywood. I am going to take off the blue outer ring today, see what's in there. Nothing looks broken so far.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

They probably put the transformer in the wall due to space constraints. When they removed the logo they hacked of the high voltage leads. If you find a sign company that does service work they can repair a tube but if you need to buy a transformer and repair a tube you might consider switching to LED as
you can tape the led strips inside yourself (low voltage too) and it will not require service again for a very long time. The trans may fit into the channel so you would only have a cord hanging out to plug in. Smile
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

Kind of looks like the logo in the 1948 French ad:

AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

Oops I missed these replies, thank you! I took the rest apart. Nothing is broken. The rattling was the tube bouncing on the post it was supported by - the thin wires had come loose in several places. It looks like if the cut cords were replaced and a power supply added that it would work. Where is a good place to get such stuff?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Weird Round Vw Sign Reply with quote

your local neon shop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: