Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn replacement... Easy?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorjazz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Hi !

I have a very rusted horn on my 1991 Vanagon. I sounds like the old 1930's horn. Its actualy cool but not at all convincing when being cut off on the highway...

Is it possible to just change the horn without opening the dash and all? Idealy, I would love to just unscew, unplug, replace, plug and screw... I would order the Gowesty replacement horn...

What do you think?
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Mine was a bolt and a couple connectors under the bumper.

Picked up the horn at the local parts store. Universal item.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Well, it is probably best for you to 'find' the horn first. Have someone honk it while you listen.

Then once you find it, compare what you find against your mechanical abilities to determine if you are 'capable' of replacing one.

Hard to say depending on the person.

The first concern here would be that you think the horn is in the dash.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

I use Hella dual tone horns with Jay Brown horn relay harness... loud and nice tone - for ref. similar to BMW 5,6,7 series dual tone horn, I think BMW use the same in black.

installation on the outside at the original horn location, no need to touch anything under the dash.

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
Well, it is probably best for you to 'find' the horn first. Have someone honk it while you listen.

Then once you find it, compare what you find against your mechanical abilities to determine if you are 'capable' of replacing one.

Hard to say depending on the person.

The first concern here would be that you think the horn is in the dash.

You Sir, have a calmness about you that is admirable
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

yeah... if you're going to upgrade your horn, put get the relay harness it will keep you from burning anything out.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

+1 on horn relay. Stock horn wiring use the horn button as a ground with super long wire. With the horn relay, the horn button only trigger the relay and shorten up the ground loop.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

And with a relay on that circuit you can go with a horn that will make them wet their pants.

I use the horn quite sparingly but when I do I want it to be noticed.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Colorjazz wrote:
Hi !

I have a very rusted horn on my 1991 Vanagon. I sounds like the old 1930's horn. Its actualy cool but not at all convincing when being cut off on the highway...

Is it possible to just change the horn without opening the dash and all? Idealy, I would love to just unscew, unplug, replace, plug and screw... I would order the Gowesty replacement horn...

What do you think?

No matter what you do, Vanagons never get any respect on the road, and a bull horn ain't gonna change that. I got cut off twice today going shopping by this same minivan weaving in and out of traffic, and each time endangering someone going like bat out of hell.

I kept my cool and drove efficiently and effortlessly. Guess what. About 3 miles from where he first cut me off cold and cut off countless number of cars, I pull up next to him at a red light. I gave him a piece of my mind and he just refused to make eye contact as he knew what he had done. It gets better. As I pull ahead of him, I saw he is one of those scum that sports a handicap sign when in fact he ain't one. I saw all too many time these scums even have fake guide dogs. Twisted Evil

Oh! Back to the VW horn. I won't change the horn as it is the best way to say hi to a fellow VWer on the road. Just the other day I passed these nice couple on the highway in turtle lane in a 60's bug. I did my double beep beep and he immediately acknowledged with hand gesture before he turned his head and looked. Laughing

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
... As I pull ahead of him, I saw he is one of those scum that sports a handicap sign when in fact he ain't one. ...

In a parking lot I confronted one of those people I thought might be using a handicap placard without cause. I asked him what his handicap was and he replied, "mental". I smile and replied, "I thought so. Do you need help?"

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
chase4food wrote:
... As I pull ahead of him, I saw he is one of those scum that sports a handicap sign when in fact he ain't one. ...

In a parking lot I confronted one of those people I thought might be using a handicap placard without cause. I asked him what his handicap was and he replied, "mental". I smile and replied, "I thought so. Do you need help?"

Aloha
tp

Seeing these scum of mankind makes my blood boil. Evil or Very Mad

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

If you want to wire up a horn relay at the Horn, here's a diagram.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Thanks for not showing ignorance by saying on the subject, and thanks for the diagram, it helps me with my problem.

gene l, disabled veteran.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Colorjazz wrote:
Horn replacement... Easy?

So easy a chick can do it...

Like others, I removed the wimpy OEM horn (which didn't even turn the heads of those sitting outside a restaurant when I blew it for some jackass who ran a parking lot stop sign), and replaced it with dual-tone horns and a relay from my local O'Reilly. Didn't touch the dash during installation.

The original horn is mounted to the backside of van's nose, passenger side, basically behind the bumper.

Colorjazz wrote:
I would order the Gowesty replacement horn...

Which horn? The air horn, or the OEM horn? If the latter, forget it, unless you wish to keep the cute little, useless "toot" sound.

If going with GW's air horn, here are the install instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxwSEtNFsc .

0to60in6min wrote:
I use Hella dual tone horns with Jay Brown horn relay harness... loud and nice tone - for ref. similar to BMW 5,6,7 series dual tone horn, I think BMW use the same in black.

FWIW, the VW Cabriolets (and perhaps Sciroccos, etc.) came with dual-tone Hella horns... relayed from the factory. When it comes to Vanagons, I've got two rhetorical questions:
1) Why the heck didn't VW switch the vans to CE1 electrics in 1983, when all other models (except American-built Rabbits) got CE1??
2) Since the later vans were finally switched over to CE1, why the heck did VW not mount dual-tone horns on these 4000-pound beasts with a relay in position #6 like other VW's?

Cheapskates...

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

@ kamzcab86

don't scratch your head too much over why VW didn't do this or that or should do this and that on vanagon.. otherwise you won't have many hair left...

Very Happy
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

On a recent trip to the U-Pull boneyard, I pulled a few of my favorite horns at $2 apiece. Find 70s-80s Cadillacs. They are beautifully tuned and very loud. They actually sound reminiscent of a yacht horn for elegance and I think that was intentional. I have a few sets sitting on the work bench and will be taking a family vote on which pair to install. The relay is a good idea - thanks.

Over the years I've tried air horns but they suffer from a couple handicaps. One is space and time to install pump, long bulky horns, and airlines. Two is the delay it takes when you press the button and the half second to spool up the pump and get the nice tweet sound - makes a little kind beep impossible. Three is that when they do get up to full sound they are too harsh for many uses.

I have the Hella Supertones on a couple cars and the note is nothing special but durability has been good at 250,000 miles so far.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

yes.. the Hella Supertones are not nice as the Dual tone..

not as loud as the Dual Tone and the tone is not well balanced, too much in the high and not enough in the low
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

This one for less than 16 bucks at the local parts store.

http://wolo-mfg.com/model-300-2t-disc-horn-low-tone.html

They have high tone and low tone. The low tone is plenty loud and perhaps not as "meep meep" sounding as the original. My wallet gets kinda weary of going top-shelf all of the time for parts.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn replacement... Easy? Reply with quote

Keep one thing in mind when contemplating changing the sound of your horn. Perception is important. If your horn sounds like a Cadillac or Mac truck, that is what the other driver will expect to see, and may not notice it's your Vanagon that is trying to get their attention. That split second of indecision/misperception may be all it takes to have an accident.

Having the sound of a european vehicle (that is loud and clear) may get better attention. Perhaps a fresh Vangon horn, with a relay for full power? Although I do like the idea of the duel tone BMW type. Hmmm… mines in good working order, but another upgrade may be in the making Wink .

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: