Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 square reboot
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I took panels off one at a time and brought them to work. Strip off the paint and prime in high build.

Time for a road trip to the shop to finish the welding & prime the rest of the car. I finished the body work & decided to spray the blue on now while I have the shop access.

With the blue on the windshield can get installed, we have a glass shop next door, they offered to install so I took advantage of the offer. Reload the car and head back home.

WOW. I like the the vision this car is getting. I wasn't sure if you were keeping the "vintage" long side windows (something you don't see very often any more). But, I like the panel van look too. And going off John's drawing, it should end up looking sweet. I like the blue color on hood and roof, as it's more of a custom throwback to the 80's. Wink I really like the smoothed and de-emblemed hood. My son was wanting to do something like that, but it's beyond my skill level. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. The hood cutting was not that hard to do. Cut a little, hammer smooth, a couple of tack welds and repeat. The hardest part was actually cutting it, if I did not have a spare hood it may have been more stressful. The good thing was I did this at a shop I used to work at and my old boss Eric is a great teacher and old school panel beater.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

So I found this image for you 69 notch.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Some more body work shots. Since I live in the city, spraying a lot of paint at one time kind of upsets the neighbors, so I spray in small amounts.

One wheel well at a time

It takes a little bit longer and a little bit extra masking, but the end result is good for me.

Test fit the panels, I primed the panels at the shop. The black spray is a powder guide coat .

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
Some more body work shots. Since I live in the city, spraying a lot of paint at one time kind of upsets the neighbors, so I spray in small amounts.

Test fit the panels, I primed the panels at the shop. The black spray is a powder guide coat .

Good thing you pointed that out, or I would have thought it was camoflage (we get a lot of new cars running around looking like that). Wink Saw 2 new 2017 Malibu's and a 2017 GMC Yukon today running on MFG plates at the Subway.
Car is looking good. I like the panel look. That silver Notch, not so much. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:

One wheel well at a time

It takes a little bit longer and a little bit extra masking, but the end result is good for me.

Looking Good keep going Forward Smile
BTW those Panels are Awesome Cool
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Thanks, been trying to give people an idea of what I have been busy with. Pedro, I can hook you up with a guy that can get you some of these panels Rolling Eyes .

So I did a dash swap, I kinda hacked mine and found one for a 67 on The Samba, and I do like the look of that dash. Joel came through on the vent boxes and controls.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

So I modified the floor for my engine way back and, well now I needed to fix the area. The new engine lid is aluminum and will be using stainless steel hinges to follow the Australian panel van floor look. Did a little metal work with a break and a stretcher / shrinker. I would fit the parts, screw together and take it to work & tack weld together, bring home and make the next

69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

was the silver notch an insperarion for your hood and headlights?Type one headlights I have seen many times in a type 3 but your romoval of hood Line and emblem is just something I really like and had never seen befor. I love your square already and can't wait for it to be done.
Back in the early 90s I had a 63 square that was Porsche raspberry so much like your pink. I know I have seen your square in its previous form in the past. Way to revive it into a totally new look. Applause
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I am totally pumped on getting this car done and drive the tires off it.
The notch was a search I did after and I was surprised that someone else had done the same.
I have a friend that has type one head lights on his type one ghia and I love the look.
The picture of my car from the rear shows the weld wheels that I have for the car as well.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

I just noticed the tail light housing molded into the fender. Nicely done. You my friend have mad skills! Cool can't wait to see what's next. Popcorn
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

The tail lights came from 2 different spots, the first was the lack of good quality seals and the second came from an Australian fastback/coupe that molded his lights.
I used nuts and bolts and some panel adhesive to join the parts. I have some extra tail lights just in case I change my car back to stock

I have done some other work on the tail lights, I changed the bulbs to LED. And added a second double filament to the brake lights.

The bulbs and bases came from Ron Francis wiring, I used the same bases on the front lights as well.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

This is the fun bit.
So I am building a panel van, but the dark side says be different. Wine barrels that have been planed down and tongue and grooved. They have been clamped and glued down to some thin plywood. The carpenter Doug decided that the lines need to run from front to back. I made templates and he made the panels of wine barrel staves into flooring.
The wood is then mounted on aluminum panels. Some of the aluminum is thick so that the strips can be screwed down, the rest is 18 ga.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

You've been making some headway on your project but damn, the barrel wood interior is kickass! Way to go on handling that piece of your project! Very nice!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

I like the wood! Well done!
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

You are blowing my mind! Just when i thought it couldn't get any cooler. Strong work!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Thanks for the props. The wood was done by Doug Klassen, he labels himself as a humble carpenter, but yeah he did a beautiful job on the wood. I just trimmed the edges a bit and put on 4 coats of water based urethane. The front panel was an extra bit to match the rear.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

Panels installed on one side. Finish sanding 600 grit dry, I will wet sand when I get the car back to the shop.
Now turn it around and start the other side.
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
The tail lights came from 2 different spots, the first was the lack of good quality seals and the second came from an Australian fastback/coupe that molded his lights.
I used nuts and bolts and some panel adhesive to join the parts. I have some extra tail lights just in case I change my car back to stock

I have done some other work on the tail lights, I changed the bulbs to LED. And added a second double filament to the brake lights.

The bulbs and bases came from Ron Francis wiring, I used the same bases on the front lights as well.

LED are GREAT but for any reason your turn signals don't blink or flasher don't work just replace either fronts are both rears for a normal bulb
Jack and I went thru this already but on a 6v system
NOT sure for a 12v
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 square reboot Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

LED are GREAT but for any reason your turn signals don't blink or flasher don't work just replace either fronts are both rears for a normal bulb
Jack and I went thru this already but on a 6v system
NOT sure for a 12v

What LED bulbs did you buy for a 6v system?

I have always heard you need a solid state flasher to use LEDs.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: