Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oncedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

I'm doing that popular conversion and I'm having issues with two specific subjects.
1st is the cooling system. Which way it flows, is capping the unused ports ok? What have you done for a layout with your system? Once the correct radiator is chosen, I plan on mounting it above the engine with a bracket that will allow it to be moved when the engine is worked on.
Also, the fuel system. I have a 2.2 from a 2004 Saturn Ion and from what I see and have read, it does not have a return line. The inline pump I have exceeds the 60psi so should I have a regulator or will the ecotec stock regulator handle it. I've seen one of the aftermarket companies has a return line retrofit kit ($600). Is that necessary? I see a lot of great conversions online but not too many details on these two items. Whatever help you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Hi Oncedown
I went with a separate regulator from summit for my fuel system.
If I was going to again, I would think about going with a filter/regulator setup.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Fuel-Regulator-Only,41793.html
On the coolant, I don't think that you will have a problem looping the heater hoses together.
I went a different route and more $$$ but I had to do it. It just made more since to me. I bout a CMB inlet with 1-1/2" inlet. If you go this route it does remove the factory thermostat. I added a external thermostat because I thought it needed it.
http://store.custombuiltmotors.com/engine-external...block.html
Norm
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

if you cap or plug the heater hoses you will have to gut the thermostat. the thermostat don't have a bypass so the engine will over heat before the hot water will get to the thermostat. I ran my coolant tube from the fly wheel side of the engine (thermostat housing ) to the bottom radiator hose and the one from the front of the front of engine to the top,

the regulator posted is the one I run on my 2.4 Ecotec here is the link for one with the fittings

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Fuel-Regulator-Kit,41791.html

this is the kit that I bought

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Fuel-Filter-Regulator-Pump-Kit,103299.html
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

jdcool4 wrote:
if you cap or plug the heater hoses you will have to gut the thermostat. the thermostat don't have a bypass so the engine will over heat before the hot water will get to the thermostat.

That's not correct, not for the L61 Ecotec that the OP is using. There is a spring loaded bypass valve in the thermostat block that opens to allow a small amount of coolant to circulate if the heater ports are blocked. The coolant is directed onto the base of the thermostat by an internal baffle. On the donor car the heater ports are blocked off by a valve whenever the heater is turned off, capping them permanently would be no different than driving with the heater off.

It's also not a great idea to remove the thermostat. The GM service manual specifically states that the thermostat creates a restriction that prevents cavitation. It also helps the engine come up to operating temp quickly which is beneficial for several reasons.
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

^ x2
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Im sorry I wasn't a were that the thermostat housing was different from the 2.4
Oncedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

thankyou for your response. The rest of my cooling system is on order. My next question is, where did you add support for the engine (engine mounts)?
lutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

I hung mine with heim joints.Also make sure your cage is tied into you frame horns.
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Lutz, I like your mounts.
I did mine from the bottom.
I'm going to a trans/suspension change soon and looking at also going up and forward for my new mounts.
This is as it is now.

Oncedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

I like the the bottom mounts. When you were lining them up (or sizing for cut/weld) I assume you had support under the engine, right? Maybe a floor jack raised just enough to take away the strain from the transaxle. If so, how do you determine the strain is gone?
Oncedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Instead of scrounging for fuel delivery I ordered everything from summit. Fuel pump, an6 adapter and hose for the an6. Thats all that's left. Thanks again for the help. I just hope this thing starts when the time comes.

budnick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

That setup is one mud puddle away from disaster. The air filter will clog with dust in short order if used on a dusty road. A radiator behind a tire is not a good idea. Get those things higher up or protect them in shrouds.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

And a K&N type filter is also not good for dusty roads. It "provides more horsepower" because it lets larger particles through.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

That Honda radiator probably isn't going to work unless you can mount a scoop somewhere and duct air through it.
ParkingBuckaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Okay, a little background, I am building a buggy with an ecotec 2.4L 2010 HHR
engine. Can I block off the stock heater pipes or do I need to fab some sort of bypass to heat the thermostat so it will open correctly?
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

I don't know if that engine has an internal bypass or not. The safest and easiest thing to do is just use a loop of hose on the heater ports.
jdcool4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

I had to gut my thermostat on my 2.4 with the heater core pipes plugged the water would not flow.
Wheel_Works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel and cooling on the ecotec baja Reply with quote

Either switch out to a billet water block or just pull the aluminum tubes out, tap the holes to 1/2" pipe and plug them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: