Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine CSV fire, even after everything is done right
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Bus Depot offers 0280170402 as a CSV for a 1983 Rabbit. Looks like they offer a plethora of CSV's beyond that one.

We might just take a look at the variety and select one less likely to fall apart or leak, maybe search out online Rabbit forums to get a read on any associated problems.

As far as securing the wiring harness, I would add extra plastic wire loom on the outside of mine where it came in contact with other parts and securing it with several plastic zip ties to guard against vibration.

WARNING: Opinion follows...

VW engineers were not tasked with the Apollo Program... they were tasked with developing something reliable enough to generate sustainable profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Not sure the size, but you'll also need the hollow bolt and copper washers seen in this diagram and photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
VW engineers were not tasked with the Apollo Program... they were tasked with developing something reliable enough to generate sustainable profit.

Yes.

I (we?) do many things to our individual cars that would have driven the cost of these (as new) cars out of the range of profitability. I insist on a real oil filter. And many other things.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

From doing a little internetting I found that the bolt size is M8X1.0.

So this is what should be needed. Only problem is the M8 double barb banjo fitting doesn't seem to come with the correct barb sizes.

M8X1.0 Metric Banjo Bolt
https://www.belmetric.com/bolts-c-14_850_851/bnjb8x10-banjo-bolt-p-4399.html

M8X12 Metric solid copper Banjo Fitting gasket.
https://www.belmetric.com/banjo-fitting-gasket-c-1...-5059.html

M8 Double Barb Banjo Eye Fitting with a 4mm to 5mm barb
https://www.belmetric.com/double-barb-banjo-eye-fi...-4954.html

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

8MM X 5MM X 8MM REDUCING STEEL BARBED T 3 WAY FUEL HOSE JOINER
http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/8mm-x-5mm-...2172-p.asp
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Took a trip to the local pick-n-pull hoping to pull a CSV off an 86 Audi 4000. No such luck. Every car I looked at with an accessible CSV was removed (duh it's a $200 part). I eventually found one hiding under the intake manifold of a 91 Volvo 240. Took a lot of patience to get that little bastard out, but boy was it rewarding when it did.

There seem to be a lot of these cars at pick-n-pulls. I bet many of them still have their CSV since it's so awkwardly located.

Bosch Part # 0 280 170 445

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Looks a lot bigger than stock.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Why not skip the banjo fittings and use a copper t-fitting with M8X1 male threads and 7mm barbs. Something like this:

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

here's my solution

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Nice work, BayCreamPuff!

Looks like it bolted right into the plenum no problem. Will it all fit up on top of the engine?

How much did Pic-n-Pull charge? Even if it was $35, and you added $30 for a professional ultrasonic cleaning and flow test, it would be a bargain.

Arrow Now that you had it in hand, after looking at the design and mount up, were you left with the impression that this route might be a safer improvement than what we are currently faced with... or do you think the benefits might be negligible?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Fantastic it at least bolts up!

Creampuff, what did you search for that threaded t fitting? I can find anything with all search combinations? What did PaP hit you up for the injector?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)

Last edited by aerosurfer on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Looks like it bolted right into the plenum no problem. Will it all fit up on top of the engine?

Here's a side-by-side photo

Here it is resting on top of the existing one

Wasted youth wrote:
How much did Pic-n-Pull charge? Even if it was $35, and you added $30 for a professional ultrasonic cleaning and flow test, it would be a bargain.

They asked me what it was and I said a fuel injector. $6.99 + core deposit of $0.99 + tax. Guy behind me said I should have just put it my pocket and walked out.

Wasted youth wrote:
Arrow Now that you had it in hand, after looking at the design and mount up, were you left with the impression that this route might be a safer improvement than what we are currently faced with... or do you think the benefits might be negligible?

It certainly feels a lot more solid than the stock one. If we can figure out a good way to mount it I think it could be a good alternative. One issue that comes to mind is the way the fuel lines will connect to this CSV. Even with a T of some sort (banjo or brass fitting) it will need to be angled at 45 degrees to allow for the harness to plug in.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Total score at the junkyard! Cool For that price, maybe a little destructive testing and/or slicing a la Skills might be in order here.

Okay, so the wiring plug is 90 degrees out. And the fuel line arrangement will need to be reworked, but looks like not much when the banjo bolt and nipples are used. Might even be a nice opportunity to fabricate steel fuel lines with fittings.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

Actually it looks like it will fit pretty well - not much bigger at all. I was worried about space in that area, as things at least in my engine bay are tight there.

Nice!
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Creampuff, what did you search for that threaded t fitting? I can find anything with all search combinations?

https://www.google.com/search?q=brass+male+branch+barbed+tee

Still haven't found the right one online. Thinking of taking it to the hardware store tomorrow to see if I can find something.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

that "T" fitting is even more of an abortion than you could imagine....for one, you'll still have the lines hanging off either end of it, two, when tight, where is the correct "clocked" position going to be and three, I think that is an even bigger fire risk than the OE set up.

I don't know what the real answer is, and we are still not 100% sure this has been the source of fires.

I am not 100% familiar with the FI harness and if it has un fused 12V running thru it or not. if it does, I would probably consider either 1) a piece of fusible link or 2) an inline fuse.

and don't make me dig thru my decades old collection of 240/740/940 shit to cut open a Volvo CSV Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I don't know what the real answer is, and we are still not 100% sure this has been the source of fires.

I agree. Lots of speculation - in 10 pages, I think 2 people have suspected fuel leaks (and a fire) from a csv valve, and one person has a "loose" csv that does not cause a fuel leak while in operation. I don't recall seeing any test results from bench testing yet, although a couple of people had plans to do it.

What if someone asked a pro - like Witchunter or Cruisin performance who clean injectors and cold start valves to see what they think - if its plausible, rare, or common?

I think longer term, Wildthings has it right with a fire prevention proposal to find a modern in-tank fuel pump that would have the right specs for L-jet. That would include finding the right size - both diameter and height - for the pump/fuel level module. If that's unlikely (and I'm thinking it is), then modifying the stock vw gas tank by cutting out the right size opening for the pump you've found, welding in the correct one that you've cut out from a donor used tank, and sealing up the bottom outlets. Which all becomes a daunting amount of work for your average VW enthusiast.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

you can get a double tall Banjo bolt and use 2 regular banjo ends.
one in, one out and the bolt is your flow thru T-fitting.

it'll take a little hard searching to find an M8 banjo with 7-8mm hose barb. but I believe there's a rare application out there with one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=M8+double+banjo+bo...&dpr=1

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that "T" fitting is even more of an abortion than you could imagine....for one, you'll still have the lines hanging off either end of it, two, when tight, where is the correct "clocked" position going to be and three, I think that is an even bigger fire risk than the OE set up.

I am not 100% familiar with the FI harness and if it has un fused 12V running thru it or not. if it does, I would probably consider either 1) a piece of fusible link or 2) an inline fuse.

and don't make me dig thru my decades old collection of 240/740/940 shit to cut open a Volvo CSV Laughing

None of the circuit that feed into FI are fused; #15, #30, or #50.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine fire, even after everything is done right Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you can get a double tall Banjo bolt and use 2 regular banjo ends.

Good call. Might as well follow through with this experiment. If nothing else, it allows us to use pretty much any Bosch CSV made over 2 decades with this type of fitting. More modern and readily available at the junk yard.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/efuelpumps has all the parts needed. They'll be here Saturday.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: