Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good buy on a '68 Type 1
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Good buy on a '68 Type 1 Reply with quote

I worked at a VW dealer as a line tech from 1975 till 1993 or so. Back in the '70's bugs were a dime a dozen. One hot summer day a wrecker brought in a '68 auto stick bug. It was that dark blue color they came in and in very good shape....except the motor.

After a few hours the owner showed up in a cab with two friends and all of them were drunk as $hit. They were US Air Force men and were on their way to a base in San Antonio.

There was oil blown all over the engine bay and the car was limping on three cylinders. The service writer gave me the job because I handled most of the unit room work. The number three piston had a hole as big as a half dollar melted into it. I told the drunkest one of the bunch, who was the owner, the bad news and he was pissed. He slurred forth the story of a shop in Colorado Springs, Colorado that had rebuilt the motor a few months before his transfer to Texas. He wanted nothing to do with the car, he was DONE!!!

The men were already supposed to be at the new base and wanted to sell the car on the spot. They tried to sell it to the dealership, but they didn't want a bug with a three cylinder engine and the auto stick. I was then cleared to make them an offer. I bought the car for $300.........nice car, almost new tires, very clean. The guys asked me to take them to the bus station, they still needed to get to San Antonio and by this time they had sobered up a bit. As they unloaded the stricken bug, there was 2 cases of Olympia beer in the trunk. They didn't think the bus station would allow the beer on the bus, so I got the beer too.

That evening, I stayed late, pulled the motor out and tore down the left bank, went to the parts department and got one piston and cylinder, cleaned the case out best I could and buttoned it up. Within 5 hours I was done and fired the motor and found the timing to be advanced about 7 degrees past 32 total. I dumped the oil one more time and she went on the block.

I sold the car for $900 to the first person who looked at it......the only thing wrong with it was the auto stick option. People just didn't like it. Although I did. I sort of wish I had it back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: