Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dent repair costs
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

Helped a family friend move a couple weeks ago. Not paid, just friendly help.
Unfortunately while moving the refrigerator the furniture dolly hit a soft, uneven patch of driveway and pitched the fridge into the nearly new car belonging to said family friend's sister. It hit between two rear panels and left a quarter-sized spot and some scuff marks.

Pic -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Why said car was parked directly along the loading path, even though nothing was being loaded into it is insubstantial (though it does irk me).
Of course we offered to pay for it.

She got back to us yesterday with a quote of $850, apparently from her usual mechanic. We kindly requested she get a few more quotes.
I know body shop work is not cheap, but that's substantially more than I was expecting.

It's hard to tell from a single crappy phone picture, but I was wondering if someone could give a ballpark of what you'd expect the repair to cost.
Or recommend a bodyshop out where she is in Rocky Mount, NC.

I can't imagine she doesn't have decent insurance with a reasonable deductible, so I guess worst case we can request she turn it in and we'll cover her deductible.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

Most of the marring looks like paint transfer from the appliance, some CRC carb cleaner on a soft rag will remove most of that (I cannot vouch for other brands & I still suggest trying on a hidden area first) it doesn't affect the factory paints. After that, see if you can find a good PDR guy. The paint damage at the seam may need a touch up but the owner may not be satisfied with the end result.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

agreed

try dent wizard

https://www.dentwizard.com/

the issue is the deep scuffs in the panel/plastic bumper cover, those may need paint.

800 is in line with what it will cost. I wouldn't price shop paint repair on a new car. if someone tells you 400, run

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

Yeah, gently buffed the black scuff marks by hand and they were coming off.
She lives ~ an hour and a half out, I doubt I'll see the car again.

Appreciate the feedback, will see what other quotes she gets and evaluate from there.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

A 16 year old lass gently sideswiped our car parked in front of the house. It really was a gentle scrape without any bent steel. Dad offered to pay for the damages if we would not go through insurance. My usual body shop quoted $600 to clean the scrapes, repaint and also replace a plastic trim piece. Dad was happy to pay.
Before I took it in I got out my buffer and some gentle compound. After 20 minutes it was 90% restored with a cost of zero. Good enough.
I used the money to partially pay for fixing a hit-and-run dent from a few years earlier on the same car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

The trusted mechanic is simply marking up the outsourcing of the repair a little- but it still not a "buff it out" thing. You've got two mating surfaces with which to try to create a perfect seam. After that- blend the perfect silver metallic. It is not and should not be cheap (I agree with eurocars..)

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dent repair costs Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Yeah, gently buffed the black scuff marks by hand and they were coming off.
She lives ~ an hour and a half out, I doubt I'll see the car again.

Appreciate the feedback, will see what other quotes she gets and evaluate from there.

Whatever the quotes come in at, I think an equitable split would be 1/3 for the guy who dropped the fridge, 1/3 for the guy receiving the favor, and 1/3 for the gal who parked her car in the way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: