Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The engines out of the bug, stripped with the heads off. I'd split that case so fast before trusting anything with the motor. It's providing clues that all is not right inside it.

You could get lucky and find everything's ok but everything just needs to be cleaned really well. Or, you could find that it was a ticking/running time bomb.

Helfen wrote:
I think it is time past and time wasted. I would get this thing apart and analyzed so you can move forward.

I agree. You need to go ahead and open it up and see what's what.

Score one for the hand wringers... Laughing

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Another bit of info. The metal bit that I found in the strainer was not picked up by a magnet.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

was it from the top of an oil container?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

No it was a thicker metal. I could bend it but it takes a little force.
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ok looks thinner in the pic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

What could a chunk of aluminum like that come off of?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

It's nothing that should be in there. It looks like aluminum or magnesium. Just split the case and be done with it. There have been more than enough red flags at this point.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
What could a chunk of aluminum like that come off of?

In the time you're spending/wasting with guessing, seeking others opinions and speculating, you could've split that case and known for sure. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Some more pics of my progress. Got the cylinders off and this is what I can see so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

That's some rebuilt engine. A real midnight auto. Time to start ALL over.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

You can see the Moly grease on the cam and lifters so that is most likely what is in the oil. So it does appear that the engine was "rebuilt" and never run. Cam looks used and the lifters look shiny so they are probably used too.

The inside of the oil pump cover looks weird. Will all of that crud wipe off? Does it look like it is oil with Moly grease mixed in or is that rust?

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
You can see the Moly grease on the cam and lifters so that is most likely what is in the oil. So it does appear that the engine was "rebuilt" and never run. Cam looks used and the lifters look shiny so they are probably used too.

The inside of the oil pump cover looks weird. Will all of that crud wipe off? Does it look like it is oil with Moly grease mixed in or is that rust?

Yes, it appears that the engine was rebuilt with used parts. Not what I call a rebuild or remanufactured engine. Better known as a midnight auto shyster job.
ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

I see. Well that's a little bit of relief. Yes on the pump cover that isn't rust, but the oil with grease.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

As long as the parts were within specifications they don't really need to be replaced. I do see new cam bearings peeking around the cam in one picture.

The piece of metal that you found in the strainer is concerning. What is it and where did it come from? Is there more like that in there?

The gunk that you pulled out of the lifter didn't look like clean grease.

The cleaning of the case and parts is very half assed by my standards.

We already know that only one of the pistons is new.

The nuts on the oil pump originally had a plastic sealing surface on them. Looks like instead of using new nuts they just put some RTV on them. Not that big of a detail but another shortcut.

It also looks like they might have used RTV between the oil pump and body. This is not a good idea as it can get squeezed into the oil passages and end up in the bearings or the relief valve.

The rebuild job on the heads looks pretty iffy to me. The exhaust studs are very rusty and some of the head looks like it wasn't bead blasted very well.

Generally remanufactured heads will be very thoroughly cleaned and new valve guides and valves installed after the seats are recut. Any studs that need to be replaced get replaced. These heads look like they were done in house and given all the other shortcuts I would question if the guides were replaced if they were worn.

Certainly not a top notch rebuild by any standard.

ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

So I guess it was either really rebuilt by archway imports or it was once rebuilt by archway and then po rebuilt again without much care.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
So I guess it was either really rebuilt by archway imports or it was once rebuilt by archway and then po rebuilt again without much care.

It appears to have had the case split and various parts replaced. Not knowing anything about Archway Imports it is hard to say. Maybe this is what a standard rebuild looks like for them or perhaps they were told to rebuild it and do it as cheaply as possible.

ArtistGollaher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Seeing more of inside the case do you think I should still split the case, or would it be good to put back together and fire her up?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

Open it up. You need to know where that chunk of metal came from.
Also this is an opportunity to re-lube all of the moving parts. While it's apart take time to measure everything so that you know for sure that all is good.
I know I was a bit of an a$$hole the last time I posted in your thread. My intent was to push you into making a decision on weather to start it or tear it apart. Looks like you made the right choice. Your this far along. You might as well complete the job for piece of mind.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

I had a 1964 type 2 1500 rebuilt using 1600 heads in1988 by a great builder named George Filchak of Norwood, NJ... he really did it right. I have had that engine in 3 busses. Currently in my 1960 single cab... still running great, zero oil leaking and great compression... never drive over 50 mph... almost 30 years since rebuild.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old rebuilt engine. Still good? Reply with quote

ArtistGollaher wrote:
Seeing more of inside the case do you think I should still split the case, or would it be good to put back together and fire her up?

wow your still asking take it apart!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: