Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Hi guys;

I'm work in my street Baja project, front suspension lifted with 3,5" raised spindles, but IŽll need enlarge stock trailing arms 3 ", like photo. Maybe 1x3" will be better for me.
I need tips or any recommendation for stock trailing arms modification.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I`ll Really apreciate your experiences...

Thanks and regards.
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

up
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

You're going to have a very hard time extending the stock trailing arms and not having them bend on the first pot hole you meet. Before you even start, you will need to make a jig. Otherwise, your toe and camber will go out the window. Then, you will probably need custom axles, due to the oddball size. You'd be much better off buying some 3 X 3s or 2.5 X 2.5s.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

ok...I understand.......3x3 "arms only work with 930 cv joints?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

You can use stock CV joints on the 3 X 3 arms. You will have more travel then you do now, but not as much as if you went with Type 2, 4, or 930s. What determines the type of CV joint you need are the stub axles, and the CV flange on the transmission. So to keep cost down just run your stock stub axles and transmission flanges, and CV joints. You will just need to get the trailing arms and axles. There is a lot of good reading here.

http://blindchickenracing.com/How_to/Howto.htm
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Couple questions for the original poster:

Is this an effort to make it look astheticaly pleasing, or for function?
Will this be used off road or is it a mostly street Baja?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Your type 1 CV joints are your limiter in travel. If you get 3x3 trailing arms then you will have to limit your travel with bump stops and limit straps to keep from destroying your joints, which defeats the purpose of the longer trailing arms anyway. Unless, like Vanapplebomb is asking, this is for aesthetics only.

If money is the limiter then I would save and do it right the first time.
Here is a full kit for $1100.
http://www.appletreeauto.com/TRAILING-ARM-KIT-FOR-930-and-002-TA3x3930-002/

I'm told that you can work with them to upgrade the CV joints to ultimate plunging CV joints which are a true 30 degree joint instead of the EMPI 930, which apparently only achieves 26 even though they advertise 28*.
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=301174CC

I plan to do this myself when the money is there.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

So that you guys understand Pablo's situation...

The country where he lives adds huge import duties on everything imported. So parts coming from the US will cost him 2 or 3 times as much as they do to us who live in the US. So a rear suspension kit that costs us $1,100 might cost him $3,300.

Also, he is translating from Spanish into English to write to the group here, so some of his writing might be a little difficult to understand. I speak and write Spanish, so he and I have communicated a few times. Between his knowledge of English, and my knowledge of Spanish, we get along pretty well. So if anybody needs translation in this thread, let me know. He has been around offroad VWs quite a while, and has built Bajas and tube frame buggies before, but does not have access to many of the parts we in the US take for granted.

Pablo seems to want to keep the width of the car close to stock, so he seems to not want to go for 3x3 arms. This may have to do with streets or trails in his area being narrow.

I think that 2x3 arms would be the best compromise for Pablo in that there are plenty of VW Type 2s around him. So he can get a 002 and Type 2 CVs and axles fairly easily.

In metric, that works out to about 50mm x 75mm. I think Pablo can build a jig and modify stock arms to that size himself.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Hi guys;

I have a dune buggy only for hard off road, but my intentions with the Baja project are softer, I want to run legal street too, aesthetics and reliability are always important...many baja purist guys "anger" with this words !!.

I do import many engine parts and accesories from USA, but generally smaller to avoid excess freight and taxes.

Now I have two problems,; one, excessive 3x3 arms wide add my rear tires with excessive negative offset can be a big problem, sure complicate things with the law street traffic in my country, and Import large and heavy pieces makes the final cost too high for me.

Thank you for my English translation and time, but the best solution is too expensive for me now.
I'll go with stock bug arms until I can import from USA special parts for better results. I just hope that the camber achieve with the IRS jigs (switch to IRS) are compatible with future improved arms.

Best regards.

Last edited by pablovent on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Sorry man. I didn't catch that you were from Chile. Best of luck on your build.

Thanks for the info DustyMojave!
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
So that you guys understand Pablo's situation...

The country where he lives adds huge import duties on everything imported. So parts coming from the US will cost him 2 or 3 times as much as they do to us who live in the US. So a rear suspension kit that costs us $1,100 might cost him $3,300.

Also, he is translating from Spanish into English to write to the group here, so some of his writing might be a little difficult to understand. I speak and write Spanish, so he and I have communicated a few times. Between his knowledge of English, and my knowledge of Spanish, we get along pretty well. So if anybody needs translation in this thread, let me know. He has been around offroad VWs quite a while, and has built Bajas and tube frame buggies before, but does not have access to many of the parts we in the US take for granted.

Pablo seems to want to keep the width of the car close to stock, so he seems to not want to go for 3x3 arms. This may have to do with streets or trails in his area being narrow.

I think that 2x3 arms would be the best compromise for Pablo in that there are plenty of VW Type 2s around him. So he can get a 002 and Type 2 CVs and axles fairly easily.

In metric, that works out to about 50mm x 75mm. I think Pablo can build a jig and modify stock arms to that size himself.

Thats correct, Thanks x1000 Richard.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

I just wonder if it would be better to start from scratch vs. trying to use stock trailing arms? About 10? years ago, I made my own jig for building 2 x 3 trailing arms (copied Mark's at blind chicken). I called him, and he sold me all the flat pieces for making tubular arms. I bought my own DOM tubing, built the arms, and they are still going today.

Sometime starting from scratch is easier than re-engineering.
My builds
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

I extended a set of stock arms, +1.5" length and +3" lift. My intention was to test fit these on the car, make sure everything fits and all the angles and alignment are correct, then use them to make a jig to make a set of tubular arms. They are on the car now, and due to lack of time or just laziness I will probably leave them on. I'm not 100% confident that they will not bend, but they are holding up for now. Anyway, here are some pictures to give you an idea how I did it. The rest of the pictures are in my gallery.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Back in the 1980s, offroad race fabricators would often build their own IRS arms using the car for a jig. The hub forgings would be cut out of the ends of a pair of stock arms, and then mocked up in place with a straight piece of tube or pipe clamped into the stub axle bore of the hubs to set the camber and toe at zero. Then the tubes for the arms welded to the pivot tube bushing holder tube and spring plate brackets made to fit. One had to be careful to not bump or move the car or the bearing carriers during fabrication. Once a pair of arms were made, you could make a jig from them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

rockcrawl wrote:
I extended a set of stock arms, +1.5" length and +3" lift. My intention was to test fit these on the car, make sure everything fits and all the angles and alignment are correct, then use them to make a jig to make a set of tubular arms. They are on the car now, and due to lack of time or just laziness I will probably leave them on. I'm not 100% confident that they will not bend, but they are holding up for now. Anyway, here are some pictures to give you an idea how I did it. The rest of the pictures are in my gallery.

I like what you did there! Haven't seen that . Did you position the hubs by tack welding and then setting with the wheels on? Or mathematicall? Or
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

I stretched these trailing arms 2in using 3/16in by 2in wide flat stock. I use four pieces to box it in. Also added 1in by .095" wall round tubing to reinforce the arm. The shock has been relocated to the top of arm on a 3/16in thick plate. I made up temporary jigs to make them. They are on a sand buggy project. Distance between center of torsion bar and center of stub axle is 18-1/2in where stock is 16-1/2in.
They do 1in longer trailing arms stock width for racing classes that require them.

These are stock arms reinforced. Something like could be done with bending the tubing around where stock shocks would go. All shock may have a harder time controlling the movement of arm

Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
]

I like what you did there! Haven't seen that . Did you position the hubs by tack welding and then setting with the wheels on? Or mathematicall? Or

I did a straight saw cut and welded .120' wall rectangular tubing between the pieces. Used a digital angle gauge to align the bearing carrier to the spring plate horizontally and vertically. I believe they are supposed to be parallel in both directions. I added gussets cut from same tubing and 10ga plate. I didn't put them back on the car until they were fully welded as seen in the pics. I think the alignment was pretty good at that point, but the CV angles were too extreme for the 181 joints I wanted to use. I did another saw cut down the rear edge of the tubing and added a 1/2" flat plate between, moved the hub out 1.5", added more gussets. I did this on the car which made it more difficult to cut straight and clamp properly. I ended up with about 2 degrees negative camber at ride height and about 1 degree total toe out. I'm OK with the camber but it's a little squirrely at high speed, I suspect because of the toe out. I'll probably tweak these a little more to get them where I want them and then use them to build a set from scratch.
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Wow...........Really nice info!!!!
pablovent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm working switch to IRS, all very well, I have only doubt about the two washers or shims that are on the tip of the trailing arm, they should be one on each side of the bushing?, inside the arm support looks a lip, it is for the shim?
Regards...
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: stock IRS trailing arms longer work advice? Reply with quote

The two washers per side are supposed to go between the bushing and the bolt head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: