Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Just finished majority of the wiring on my 69 Ghia. All that is left is the brake light switch wiring. Im using all the original switches and steering column. There are 2 wires for the brake light circuit. Orange and white. The orange wire is from the fuse panel and goes to the brake switch. That's done. The white wire returns and goes to the lights. Where do I connect the white wire to for lights to come on when brake pedal is pushed. I looked at the watsons kit and others but hadn't found anything on the brake light wiring. I've done many harnesses on hot rods and classic cars but this vw stumped me for this circuit. Probably something simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Quote:
Where do I connect the white wire to for lights

Just behind the instrument panel is a single quick disconnect connection, with originally, a black/red wire plugged into it
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

All of the original wiring is gone. None of it's there anymore. What I'm asking refers to aftermarket wiring harnesses. Not OEM or replacement but using a generic aftermarket like Kwik Wire, Easy Wire, or Watsons, etc....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Then...you connect the white wire to the lights. Run it to the back of the car, hook into left side brake light and run jumper from left side to right side brake light.

Originally I believe there was a connector either under rear seat or in engine compartment to split the single wire off to each brake light. You could do that with a Y connector in the engine compartment.

This is about the simplest circuit in the whole car. Power goes from fuse box to switch. Output goes from switch back to the lights. Done.

EDIT: I should say if you are trying to use both switches for redundancy that complicates things a bit. Are you running a brake pressure warning light inside the car? If not, you can leave that bit out and just use one of the switches to operate brake lights, leaving the other one disconnected.

If you want to wire in both switches for dual-circuit brake light redundancy, just make your wiring look like the original wiring diagram at the brake light switches.

Last edited by sjbartnik on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

That's not the right way to do it. If I do that, then how with the turns signal work effectively. Brake light wiring runs through the turn signal switch on just about every car I know of. Well, most anything since the 1950's. Most of the aftermarket wiring harness, Kwik Wire, Rebel, Easy Wire all use a GM wire colors and diagrams. Each one is wired a little differently between Ford and Chrysler but 90% is the same between them. VW is different. Is there a wire than runs into the turn signal switch assembly the white wire coming from the brake light switch would connect to? This is so the brake lights and turn signals all work together. This is done so when I push the brake pedal the front turn signals don't light up. The way you are telling me to wire it is what exactly will happen. It will back feed through the wires and light up the front turn lights.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

ol'skool wrote:
That's not the right way to do it. If I do that, then how with the turns signal work effectively. Brake light wiring runs through the turn signal switch on just about every car I know of. Well, most anything since the 1950's. Most of the aftermarket wiring harness, Kwik Wire, Rebel, Easy Wire all use a GM wire colors and diagrams. Each one is wired a little differently between Ford and Chrysler but 90% is the same between them. VW is different. Is there a wire than runs into the turn signal switch assembly the white wire coming from the brake light switch would connect to? This is so the brake lights and turn signals all work together. This is done so when I push the brake pedal the front turn signals don't light up. The way you are telling me to wire it is what exactly will happen. It will back feed through the wires and light up the front turn lights.

Ah I see. Originally '69 Ghia had separate bulbs for brake light and turn signal at the rear. Thus no wiring through turn signal switch is needed.

If you're going with some crap custom taillights that combine turn signal and brake light function that's another story. Not only is it a bad idea from a safety standpoint but it complicates the wiring. You could look at early Beetle wiring diagrams to see how they did it, they had a rear bulb that did dual turn signal/brake light duty.

Buses had taillights like that for a while too; I believe they made use of a very complicated 9-pin flasher relay to make it all work properly.

Take a look at '69 Ghia wiring diagram, scroll to the bottom and you will see the taillights. Black/red wire is for the brake lights. You can see there were 3 bulbs in the housing, one for turn signal, one for brake, and one for taillights. No issue with turn signal backfeed here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now here's a '70 Bus wiring diagram. '70 Bus had one bulb in each tail housing, it was a dual-filament bulb that did tail, brake, and turn signal duty. This one has wiring through turn signal switch - you can see how they did it. This is a later Bus with the complicated emergency flasher switch and simple flasher relay. Earlier models had a complicated 9-pin flasher relay and simple flasher switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your life will be much simpler if you run the original Ghia taillights Very Happy

Last edited by sjbartnik on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Using all stock lighting. The 3 bulbs are being used. The bottom is tail light and the upper 2 bulbs are turn/brake combination. I know there is a way to do it. There are other members on the sight have used aftermarket harness but so far they haven't chimed in on how they did it. I was able to get the turn signals figured out based on what they did but not brake light switch connections.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

ol'skool wrote:
Using all stock lighting. The 3 bulbs are being used. The bottom is tail light and the upper 2 bulbs are turn/brake combination.

Sorry, you are wrong here. Look at the diagram. One of the bulbs is brake ONLY and the other is turn signal ONLY. Third one is the taillight.
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
ol'skool wrote:
Using all stock lighting. The 3 bulbs are being used. The bottom is tail light and the upper 2 bulbs are turn/brake combination.

Sorry, you are wrong here. Look at the diagram. One of the bulbs is brake ONLY and the other is turn signal ONLY. Third one is the taillight.

I know I'm wrong according the wiring diagram, I wired it that way. 2 bulbs is better than one. More lights= be seen easier. No question if I'm braking or turning then.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Gotcha. That you were trying to do something different from stock would have been nice to know in the first post! Very Happy

I think the problem you're going to run into is needing a turn signal switch with the 3 extra terminals required which your '69 Ghia switch won't have.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Gotcha. That you were trying to do something different from stock would have been nice to know in the first post! Very Happy

I think the problem you're going to run into is needing a turn signal switch with the 3 extra terminals required which your '69 Ghia switch won't have.

Yeah, he will need a trailer converter. I use one in my Baja with LED lights.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

The more i think about it, the more I'm going to split up the tail lights like stock. One for each. Run a wire direct for the white brake light wire to the bulbs in back. That's the simplest way to go right now. I can always make the change later if necessary.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

if you want more light in the rear when you brake i would recommend doing the led strip 3rd brake light in the deck lid. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301587&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

Are you using a Rebel harness? They use orange and white for brake circuit.

I totally understand what you're doing with the tail lights and think it's a great idea. As mentioned, you'll need a turn-signal switch with brake wire inputs (switch then routes the brake light voltage down the turn signal wires to the back) OR a wire in a "trailer converter" which ultimately does the exact same thing.

While you're at it, you may want to add a strobe/pulser box to the brake lights. Motorcycle guys add them to bikes all the time. Anytime you hit the brakes, the box flases the brake lights 3 times in very rapid succession before going full ON. This hopefully gets the attention of the cell phone wielding asshole in the SUV behind you. These boxes are about $40 and can be had at most any motorcycle shop.

I'll be making those same mods on my son's 70 Ghia using a Rebel Wire harness.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ol'skool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

I didn't want to get that involved. I used a Kwik Wire kit. They are a local company and I install many of their harnesses in customer vehicles. For the most part, same thing. I ran a separate brake light wire from the white wire to the rear. I wired the bulbs like factory. I might switch to LED bulbs in the rear. Not sure yet. Never thought of the pulsar module. I noticed a few new vehicles that do that on the center mount light. Something to think about.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Light Wiring - Aftermarket Harness Reply with quote

ol'skool, is this what you were referring to?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5289499#5289499

PS: i know its over a month old but i lost my bookmarks recently and while looking for the info posted above came upon this thread. hopefully it makes it easier for someone else to find since its deep within clkwrks thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: