Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why would someone do this?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

I was thinking about how one "might" make that work, by using sleeves like the master cylinder bolts do. But a type 3 beam has no place to bolt the front body to, in front/under the fuel tank, and I just don't see VW doing that.

Now, looking at the M-code charts, there is an M6 option which COTC calls "H.D. FRONT AXLE AND REAR TORS BARS" and theSamba says "Front axle support and reinforced rear torsion bars" which started in midyear 1970... which I always thought meant the front beam came with something like the 111498001A "1 set of additional front axle supports" kit installed onto it, and not an entirely different style of beam.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

IFVandal wrote:
Don't know if this is the right section to post in but it involves a 61 so I am posting here... (feel free to move). So i picked up two split buses the other day and the guy gave me his stash of other vw parts. One is a "frame" that appears to have come from a 1961 beetle. However it appears that someone other than the past owner mounted a type 3 beam to the front.

Any experiences on this? Is the type 3 beam wider?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's hack. Someone must have thought it was a good idea that didn't go very far. You can see that someone just blasted the holes into the beam to mount it. Had VW done it, you know damn well that they would have added tubes thru the stampings, and added extra brackets on the front side of the beam as well.

My guess is that someone must have bent the original t-1 beam (or it rusted out), and had that one laying around, or might have been building a buggy out of that pan.

OP, I'd pull the spindles off it, and sell them in the classifieds, as T-3 people are looking for them for their 65 and earlier cars. The torsion bars inside are probably rusty (due to the drilled holes) and aren't really worth saving, although the torsion arms (upper and lower) are worth parting out. If you can get a pic of the brake drum, we can give you a better idea of what year T-3 it came off of.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Why would someone do this? Reply with quote

note ; to those of you who aren't into Type 3 VW's ; Bobnotch is the equivalent of " glutamodo " in Type 3 . He has been around Type 3's for a long time .
If he says " Hack " then it is .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: