Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carnut63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

I agree, I was very disappointed with the turn out. I won't be going again for a long time.
What a waste, and that's too bad since the last one I went to in 2012 was soooo much better

---> Mar 2 1955 Strato Silver Oval <---
---> July 1957 ragtop project <---
---> May 5 1966 Ghia <---
---> 1962 Ruby Red Deluxe (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classiccult Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

Hi VW Fans.

I was also disappointed from “The Classic” because I expected the “World’s Largest VW Car Show”. It is not very large “these days”, so please update the flyer for next year.

Anyway, the DKP Pre-Classic Cruise and OCTO was great.

Pictures of DKP Pre-Classic Cruise Night:
http://www.classiccult.com/blog/dkp-pre-classic-2016.html

Greetings from Germany,
Lutz
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

This whole situation sucks! I wasn't able to attend the festivities this year but I'll be back next year... And I'll probably make the switch to Prado.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

Ridiculous that they're on the same day. Again.

Prado is a good show, the Classic is a good show. Why the hell should I, as the consumer, have to choose? I'd gladly attend both.

I opted to take my family to Spacefest in Tucson this year and meet astronauts. Screw both of these shows until they can put the egos aside and sort it out.

The whole scene is a huge disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

is ashamed....

I'm on the east coast. Always heard the classics were HUGE and planned to spend the $$$ to take a flight to go one year..

guess I won't be doing that now....
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Ridiculous that they're on the same day. Again.

Prado is a good show, the Classic is a good show. Why the hell should I, as the consumer, have to choose? I'd gladly attend both.

I opted to take my family to Spacefest in Tucson this year and meet astronauts. Screw both of these shows until they can put the egos aside and sort it out.

The whole scene is a huge disappointment.

As a participant you can choose what event works best for you, as a spectator you can go to both in the same day if you choose since they are so close together.

There are only so many VWs in the region so you will still see all of them if you want to spend the money to go to both shows (you would be spending the money if they were on different days anyway). You can see the whole classic in a few hours in the morning then head over to prado and relax in the shade, cook some BBQ and have a beer. Even when classic was its biggest it wasnt an all day event.

Ive been to many classics over the years and the fact of the matter is that it was getting smaller even before Prado show came on the scene. I personally stopped going a few years back as it was getting too expensive to see the same cars and the swap didnt provide parts or deals to justify the entry fee.

I agree that the scene is a huge disappointment but Prado is definitely making it fun again.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
is ashamed....

I'm on the east coast. Always heard the classics were HUGE and planned to spend the $$$ to take a flight to go one year..

guess I won't be doing that now....

Its still worth it to come out and do Pomona, Octo, all the stuff during the week then hit what ever show you want to on Sunday. At over 1100 cars at Prado I think its now the biggest show on the west coast.

What is cool is you can save cash by camping out at Prado all week and still hit all the events. Id rather spend the money on swap meet deals than hotel bills.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

IMO it's not about ego more the day, the Classics always following the P town weekend with all the BBQS, open houses and cruises, Prado has been going on for years but when the Classic promoter drop the ball on that date the VTO I think stepped up to the plate and put on a show since people had already booked flights and hotel rooms for the Classic.

People liked the grass and the camping with firepits, BBQS and being to bring a beverage of choice and not having to wake up early in the morning to wait in line for a hour. I've seen more people in the last few years pick up trailers for their VW if they don't have a bus to camp in with their kids and familia, look what OBEC has done with the Featherly park/spring picnic now in the last years, these type of shows have blown up because of it and the swaps have taken off also.

Good times with good friends.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classiccult Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

Yes the classic weekend is very interesting and good, even if “The Classic” is now smaller than it used to be. It is still nice, but the media needs an update for the next show.

My pics of The Classic 2016, June 12, Costa Mesa, California;
http://www.classiccult.com/blog/the-classic-vw-show-2016.html

Greetings from Germany,
Lutz
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
IMO it's not about ego more the day, the Classics always following the P town weekend with all the BBQS, open houses and cruises, Prado has been going on for years but when the Classic promoter drop the ball on that date the VTO I think stepped up to the plate and put on a show since people had already booked flights and hotel rooms for the Classic.

People liked the grass and the camping with firepits, BBQS and being to bring a beverage of choice and not having to wake up early in the morning to wait in line for a hour. I've seen more people in the last few years pick up trailers for their VW if they don't have a bus to camp in with their kids and familia, look what OBEC has done with the Featherly park/spring picnic now in the last years, these type of shows have blown up because of it and the swaps have taken off also.

That's a good summation of it all! I too liked doing the Classic since the late '80s. However, once we lost the "Grassy Knoll", it also lost its appeal, for us at least. But already for the last few years before that, many people had opted to not go to the classic at all. I guess it's going the way of the Jamborees. Confused

Now, I recall back when the Featherly Spring Picnic was had on a Saturday with the Bug-In on the following Sunday. There was some coordination between the promoters. My humble suggestion would be to have the Classic on the preceding Sunday with all other happenings during the week and then closing it with the OCTO and Prado on the weekend. But hey, that's just my opinion. Cool
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:

The promoter didn't "drop the ball." It was a last minute venue unavailability issue that happened by the hands of the venue's management. Statements like this only further perpetuate the rumors that the promoter voluntarily f**ked over all the people who had made their plans.

That being said, it's dumb for both events to be scheduled on the same day, IMO. VW scene isn't big enough to pit one show against another. Both events' promoters need to work out a compromise of some sort so that everyone benefits.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

If BOR handles things like they did in Vegas it clear what the next step will be.

Its true the "scene" is smaller and evolving which means extinction for some. One thing that has stayed constant is that enthusiasts remain while promoters come and go.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Pierside Parts & EIS Parts Present The Classic June 12, 2016 Reply with quote

classiccult wrote:
My pics of The Classic 2016, June 12, Costa Mesa, California;
http://www.classiccult.com/blog/the-classic-vw-show-2016.html
Excellent photos, Lutz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: