Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles !
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterfred76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles ! Reply with quote

Hi everybody !

I usually read TheSamba.com but today it's my first post on this website.
I'll make short because my english is a bit poor Wink

I have a 1969's Beetle Standard with stock beam (ball joint), dropped spindles CB Performance, standard disks, standard Boge/Cofap shock absorber (long).

I'm planning to purchase a set of 4 JGE Geebees 5.5*15 4x130 ET43 with 165/80R15 tyres.

For the rear wheels, everything should be ok.

for the front wheels, I measured the exterior wheel side.It will fit into the fender (almost 1cm)

But will it be ok for the rest ? inner side ? rubbing fender.... ?

I need your help before buying something, I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for your help

Frédéric
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles ! Reply with quote

I would go with something a little wider on the back (185/65?); since you have the 5 1/2" rims, the better handling will be a bonus. On the front a 175/65 (24" tall) would normally be a good fit (and again, the wider, shorter tire will improve handling), since with the 2 1/2" drop you may find the 165's (at over 25") are too tall. The issue will be whether the extra 5/8" the spindles add push the tire into the fender edge. If anyone else cares to chime in... Al
macbuick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles ! Reply with quote

misterfred76 wrote:
Hi everybody !

I usually read TheSamba.com but today it's my first post on this website.
I'll make short because my english is a bit poor Wink

I have a 1969's Beetle Standard with stock beam (ball joint), dropped spindles CB Performance, standard disks, standard Boge/Cofap shock absorber (long).

I'm planning to purchase a set of 4 JGE Geebees 5.5*15 4x130 ET43 with 165/80R15 tyres.

For the rear wheels, everything should be ok.

for the front wheels, I measured the exterior wheel side.It will fit into the fender (almost 1cm)

But will it be ok for the rest ? inner side ? rubbing fender.... ?

I need your help before buying something, I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks for your help

Frédéric

4x130 Gas Burner copies are totally fake...and you will look like a redneck, ....buy 5x130 and redrill your discs and drums...by this way every chicks in your town will believe that you have real Gas Burners !! Laughing

You should post a picture of your car to see what it looks like ...do you want a stock look, mid stock, cal-look stance, German-look style ??

and SSP wheels are cheaper than JGE !
http://www.sspwheels.co.uk/#!ssp-wheels/c17d2

Wink

Last edited by macbuick on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
misterfred76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles ! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advices ALB ! I'm thinking about that.
But it's a bit hard here to have several tyre's size on a car. Moreover, it is preferable to respect the original tyre's size (155/80R15) +-2% to get the "Technical control" accepted....

Macbuick, we don't have redneck in france so that's not a problem Wink
Ok Gasburner are usually 5x130.
Did original 4x130 exist ? no ???

The JGE are more expensive than the SSP but they exist with ET43 offset instead of ET35. That's why I choose thoses wheels.

Sorry I don't have recent photos of the beetle. It is more a mid-stock in full restoration.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help for a french guy -JGE Geebees with disc & drop spindles ! Reply with quote

misterfred76 wrote:
Macbuick, we don't have redneck in france so that's not a problem Wink
Ok Gasburner are usually 5x130.
Did original 4x130 exist ? no ???

The JGE are more expensive than the SSP but they exist with ET43 offset instead of ET35. That's why I choose thoses wheels.

Haters gonna hate, run what you want! I don't know the offset of your stock wheels (ET40??) so I can mostly only guess about rubbing. I'm going to install some Empi slotted wheels on my old wide 5 Bug.

You are looking at a wheel that is 1 inch wider with an offset similar to stock. The drop spindles move the wheels somewhat outward from stock so the inside may not be a problem. Usually rubbing on the inside when turning is the inside corner of the tire and a wider wheel doesn't change the width there. Sometimes it is the sidewall touching the forward end of the control arm. You can adjust the steering stops if needed without being very noticeable. It shouldn't be very much if it happens. I would be more concerned about the outward clearance, and it sounds like you have checked that out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: