Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home made central air filter - Version 2 now installed
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Home made central air filter - Version 2 now installed Reply with quote

Fits right in Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Very nice Wink

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Excellent job, Sure enough surface area on that filter for two four barrel V8 Engines. Nice.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

That is a nice looking airbox. Did it quiet down the carb noise a lot?
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

nice! can you go in depth on how you made it and the dimensions?

hows the noise reduction?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

so.. where is zit?? behind your vw add??
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

I am all about quieting the intake without sacrificing performance.
Do let us know.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Mr. tucker: The "VW add" is the same as every other "add" on the rear end of every car in excistence.... I like the look. If you donīt, I donīt care Cool
I made an earlier post with a few more pictures, if you want more details.
It does seem to quiet the intake noise to some extend, based on unscientific study (ears only).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

What is the purpose of this?
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

The primary purpose is filtering the intake air.
Secundary purpose is, that I love building stuff.
On second thoughts, it may be the other way around...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

As for the sound, personally what sets my bug apart from modern car is the the sound of a good exhaust, not too load, but you want to let people know it is not stock.
As for the sound of the dual Dells, that is my favorite sound, doing 60, then floor it and they kick in, nothing like that sound. Wish I could run no filters just the stacks.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

so how does it perform? I got some similare aluminum type carb intakes from CB performance and they choked the air flow too much and car ran like crap.
Would you consider building more of those for some $$$
It would be nice to have some kind of snorkle set for my dual carbs on my BAJA. do they seal up good on the carb base plates? Something like what you got might be the ticket...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
As for the sound, personally what sets my bug apart from modern car is the the sound of a good exhaust, not too load, but you want to let people know it is not stock.
As for the sound of the dual Dells, that is my favorite sound, doing 60, then floor it and they kick in, nothing like that sound. Wish I could run no filters just the stacks.

I do not dis aggree with you as such. On theother hand, a 5 - 10 hour Autobahn ride in the left lane can soon get on your nerves with four barrels yelling into your neck all the time.
I kinda like it. My only concern is if it chokes 2 & 4. Time will tell.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Nice job. Very clean detailed work on everything.

Now lets get some info and pics of that linkage!!

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air Cooleds Only
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Air box looks neat.
It appears you're still running points, I'm impresed Wink
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Had a test ride yesterday. It does dampen the sound more than I initially notiched. Especially the inside of the car is a lot more quiet. No longer the roaring sound from the carbs, that can, as Alstrup mentions, kill al posibillity for conversation while driving.
Performancevise I don't feel any restriction at all. I suspect the old air filters to be restrictive though, because of the to small distance from the top of the stacks to the lid of the filter.
This has a lot more space for the air above the stacks. The surface area of the 2*44mm barrels in each carb is ((44/2)*(44/2)* phi)*2=3.039 mm2.
The surface area of the intake to each carb is (63/2)*(63/2)*phi=3.115 mm2. And the carbs are only sucking one barrel at the time, so I am pretty sure, it is not restrictive.
That said, there is room for improvement for version 2, which is on the drawing board. It will have a dedicated left/right unit without the need for the curved silicone tubes from the filter to the carbs.
The linkage is a Swedish Logmech linkage. Very nice quality, and easy to setup. www.logmech.se
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

you should sell those filter tops -- and I would buy a set!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Is the filter element itself part of the custom work?
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

The filter is a standard K&N element (K&N e-9017). The housing for the filter is costum work.
dnielsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Cool, I like this project. I was working on something similar but never got it all together, was worried about my epoxy resin failing due to high temperature. But it is good? You could add a resonator chamber like they do on modern cars and quiet it down even more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: