Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 bus subaru conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Oh, I have been following your stuff. And I have a grip on the handle. I just haven't had the right bus to do it to yet. Someday, someday.

I know a guy that soon will have a trailer that can bring your ride to the Skillz Suby Center Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I have a 65 panel here now that I could slip an engine into...odd, I have a bus and an engine Think

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Being a STi owner and loyal subaru fan, I gotta say a ej255 or 257 with a vf34 turbo would be the shit in a bus, if you are gonna do it might as well go all the way Very Happy . Yes I would look into changing gearing on the 091 but it's prob the next best trans to use even unaltered though, better than the stock split trans and RGB's I would think. I believe there was someone on here using a subaru trans and doing some crazy modifications to it for use in the bus, that would be the way to go.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
cru62 wrote:
Oh, I have been following your stuff. And I have a grip on the handle. I just haven't had the right bus to do it to yet. Someday, someday.

I know a guy that soon will have a trailer that can bring your ride to the Skillz Suby Center Twisted Evil

I can't think about anything other than getting the roof back on my Komper. I can't even roll it out of the Garaj Mahal. Lots of work Shocked .

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
WM971252 wrote:
cru62 wrote:

I can't think about anything other than getting the roof back on my Komper. I can't even roll it out of the Garaj Mahal. Lots of work Shocked .

Then stop driving around in the middle of the night stopping strangers Wink

I know the feeling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Your initial post makes me think you haven't done your homework. You should spend some time in the Vanagon forum and read up on Subaru conversions and the costs and work associated with doing one. Few people cut up split buses to install Subaru engines, it may even be frowned upon by some. The ideal transmission to run with the Subaru motor is made by Subaru. You can buy reversed ring and pinion kits from SubaruGears.com as well as mounts and axle flanges to put the Subaru drive drain into your aircooled VW.
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
cru62 wrote:
WM971252 wrote:
cru62 wrote:

Then stop driving around in the middle of the night stopping strangers Wink

I know the feeling

I haven't done that since 1984. You have a good memory.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:
Your initial post makes me think you haven't done your homework. You should spend some time in the Vanagon forum and read up on Subaru conversions and the costs and work associated with doing one. Few people cut up split buses to install Subaru engines, it may even be frowned upon by some. The ideal transmission to run with the Subaru motor is made by Subaru. You can buy reversed ring and pinion kits from SubaruGears.com as well as mounts and axle flanges to put the Subaru drive drain into your aircooled VW.

091 bus trans would be very costly.

SubaruGears.com would be the best way.

A pro street trans would be the best lower cost.

If you are not really into VW's, Stay air-cooled and see if you son likes it first.

Driving a split bus is not for everyone.

Tow bills and replacing broken transaxles will end up being a pain in the ass.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I have used 2 re geared 091's and 1 re geared 002. all of them were under 2K shipped.

the reversed rotation Subaru trans poses it's own set of challenges. the only time I miss a 5 speed is when I want to get from 80-100 fast. other than that, a reworked unit is a nice compromise.

they are plenty strong

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

3K + spirited miles and counting

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:

Yes.. I dont think he has looked hard enough.. but and Subaru exchange is not super easy.. You dont have to cut up a bus to install one.. well.. nothing that cant be reversed.. If you are lowering it.. swing axle will do just fine.. but you can not use your original transmission.. you will break it the first time you put the hammer down! Look for a pro street swing axle. here s one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1136784
then you have to get a straight axle conversion :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1699479
install your bus nose cone. Here is a forum to show you how:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66927
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7920
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
then you have to get a straight axle conversion :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1699479

its what you need, but not where you want to buy it (check his feedback)
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I have used 2 re geared 091's and 1 re geared 002. all of them were under 2K shipped.

the reversed rotation Subaru trans poses it's own set of challenges. the only time I miss a 5 speed is when I want to get from 80-100 fast. other than that, a reworked unit is a nice compromise.

they are plenty strong

3K + spirited miles and counting

Is the $2000 with or without a core?

I have not looked at your builds so I have to ask.
Have you installed a 091 in a split bus?

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:

Is the $2000 with or without a core?

I have not looked at your builds so I have to ask.
Have you installed a 091 in a split bus?

no, I have not put a 091 in a split. but I have a split here and a 091 I could butcher the 2 up Laughing

seriously, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. I am putting about 230 h/p thru a 002 with 091 guts and re worked 3rd +4th with no issues as of yet.

will I be surprised when it blows a ring gear thru the roof? not at all. the way I figure it is I brought it into the world, I can take it out...and make another that looks just like it Very Happy

sorry for the crappy quality and audio. cell phone on the wrong settings...while driving. so, turn the volume down and you only need to watch the first 40 seconds. I ran out of road...

Link

and yes, that price was with a core. honestly, I don't understand why folks put the 091 on a pedestal. there were some decent upgrades for sure, but are pretty much the same as an 002 imho...

would you like to Subaru/ 091 your split? it's quite a lot of fun. I have a great time wiping the smirk off of peoples faces when they try to pass Cool

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

would you like to Subaru/ 091 your split? it's quite a lot of fun. I have a great time wiping the smirk off of peoples faces when they try to pass Cool

it would be fun, but split buses handle like crap compared to bays , i think you'd have to upgrade the front end too for maximum smiles

it be hilarious to do in a sh*tty looking splitty
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

handling is a big consideration. I will admit, I like the slammed look but doing tubs is just out of the question for me, and honestly I think when the beams get too narrow it just looks stupid

I have about a 3" drop and 7.5 /8.0 inch rubber on the bus now. disk brakes are a minimum (unless you can show some restraint)

bay's do handle a bit better, but still not all that great. when you are buzzing around at 75/80 and come into an off ramp you tend to forget that you're not in a GTI. I have had a couple close calls coming into an off ramp too hot.

it's a different driving experience for sure.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I joined this forum to get some answers ,not for people to tell me that I need to do homework.
Now I'm going to ask again.What trans and axel assy,either swing or IRS and what years can I use.I dont need to be lectured and dont worry about making it right as it will be 100%safe
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Did you look at any of the threads which answer the exact questions you are asking? What you are asking for are opinions. And without knowledge on your part you have no basis to judge whether those answers are good or bad. You could just go with your gut feeling. But you would need at least an elementary knowledge, which you seem to think is unnecessary.

So, here is my opinion on the parts you should get-

•091 or 002 BUS trans, rebuilt to match the motor you will use.
•'68 BUS trailing arms, spring plates, brakes and bearing carriers.

Since you will be fabbing up all your mounts for both the engine and trans you can cut off the trans wishbone and install the trans like in a Bay bus. No need to narrow the trailing arms. The BUS stock brakes are better than bug brakes. Or you could upgrade to Porsche brakes or one of several A/M suppliers.

And just so you know, nobody here is trying to "harsh your buzz". On the contrary, they are trying to save you time, money and frustration.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

You're going to get different opinions. Take it all in and decide.

If you want to experiment, go with beetle IRS.
If you go IRS get the latest year beetle trans you can find with only one side plate for diff housing. You can buy bolt on IRS brackets and use stock beetle trailing arms and axles.
1972 and up stock should have a 3:88 RP and one side cover.
The thread I posted transmissions for dummies shows a pic with description halfway down page 1.

Your only going to find a few that want to give info on how to cut up a beloved bus add a water cooled engine with lots of torque and HP.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Last edited by brettsvw on Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Haven't drivin' my conversion yet but I'm running a Rancho Pro Street.

http://www.vvwc.ca/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9091
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: