Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 bus subaru conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I m new at the VW world and Im building a 1966 Bus for my son.I am going to install a Subaru engine.I need to know what trans and axels I should use.I need to know the years.Should I use the IRS and what years and what alll do i need.I can fabricate anything.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

General tip...
Before posting a new topic... spend a couple minutes doing a search, to see if someone is already had the same problem... or if an issue has already been discussed.... or if you have a new twist on a problem where the title of that thread still applies (add to that thread).

I typed "Subaru" in the search box & selected "titles only" & came up with these results. (click here)

Good luck!
e
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Stanleyn wrote:
I m new at the VW world and Im building a 1966 Bus for my son.I am going to install a Subaru engine.I need to know what trans and axels I should use.I need to know the years.Should I use the IRS and what years and what alll do i need.I can fabricate anything.

Welcome, Do you have pics of your project to share?

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Stanleyn wrote:

Are you going to lower the bus? If you are.. I would recommend a pro street trans to hold up to the increase in HP. With that extra power, you can run a 4:12 Freeway flyer or a 3:88 R/P. You can buy a IRS conversion kit on this site. If you are keeping it stock height, keep the reduction boxes. You can run a 3:88 or a 3:44 center section for the highway speeds you will want. I myself am going to give the Subaru thing a try. I have a 56 single cab and im keeping the reduction boxes with a 3:88 center section. I recommend disc brakes in the front! Getting up to speed in today's traffic is nice... but stopping is 10 times more important!! Very Happy Please post pics!! I would love to see how your project is going.. I'm a little ways off from starting mine..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Stanleyn wrote:

Are you going to lower the bus? If you are.. I would recommend a pro street trans to hold up to the increase in HP. With that extra power, you can run a 4:12 Freeway flyer or a 3:88 R/P. You can buy a IRS conversion kit on this site. If you are keeping it stock height, keep the reduction boxes. You can run a 3:88 or a 3:44 center section for the highway speeds you will want. I myself am going to give the Subaru thing a try. I have a 56 single cab and im keeping the reduction boxes with a 3:88 center section. I recommend disc brakes in the front! Getting up to speed in today's traffic is nice... but stopping is 10 times more important!! Very Happy Please post pics!! I would love to see how your project is going.. I'm a little ways off from starting mine..

What bus or bug and what years d
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Stanleyn wrote:
bubba wrote:
Stanleyn wrote:

What bus or bug and what years d

When you order a rebuilt transaxle just specify to the builder what your intentions are,

Only differences are.
12 volt or 6 volt
swing or IRS

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

You can only run 12 volt.. The electronics on the Subaru are all 12 volt.
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
You can only run 12 volt.. The electronics on the Subaru are all 12 volt.

Oops, that one flew right over my head Bubba. Yes 12 volt.

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

I want to use Parts that I aquire,not new A/M.What year bus or bug for the trans,or irssetup.I,ll fabricate my own mounts or whatever I need
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

The problem with used transaxles is you do not know what the gear ratios are without tearing the trans apart.

With 30 plus year old vehicles, you don't know if the trans is original to the car.

You still have not answered the questions to get help.

Reductionboxs or no reductionboxs
Stock height or lowered?
Swingxale or IRS?

Here is a link with 26 pages of info for VW transaxles.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143138

My 59 kombi build.

My buggy build.

Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

My plans for the bus is to lower it,install Subaru engine.I dont think I need the reduction boxes.I see Wolfgang has a kit for the IRS.What year bug would be the best for the conversion.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

IRS, Bus trans 002 or 091 (just get whole ass end from a late bay window bus and fab it into your split) Get a Subaru EJ255 STi motor with the complete wiring harness. Mate it up to the bus trans using kennedy engineering plate. Done.
Stanleyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Like I said in the beginning Im not a VW guy.I build hotrods including the chassis.This is my sons Bus that i,m building for him.So I dont know what your numbers mean.Could you tell me the names and years of the donors I should look for.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Personally with that much power I would prefer a 091 trans (aka 6 rib), which is found in 76-79 bay window bus, it's the strongest bus trans.
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/EngineOptionList4cyl.aspx

I know there is at least one other company offering adapter/conversions but I can't think of their name(s).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

having done several conversions in bay window's I can tell you the 091 is a poor choice in the factory gearing.

I don't want to sound like a douche, but I will anyway Very Happy

what I have learned is the Subaru is a bit finicky...you are going to want to match the power band of the engine to overall gearing. it has to do with overall rpm's and water pump speed.

additionally, just stuffing a radiator in it will not (usually) work. do your math on the cooling system.

I would stay away from a turbo just for simplicity sake. I built a healthy 2.5 NA with some tricks, can pull 75+ in 3rd. at 115 (with more pedal to go) the bus just got plain scary to drive. it has all new suspension and is dropped and properly set up.

when you get these issues sorted, you'll be a happy camper. the 002 transmission has the crappiest stock gearing for this conversion. the Subaru is very happy at 3-3,200 rpms, not the 4-4,200 a aircooled spins at freeway speeds

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Please start reading the wealth of info in various threads on this site. Since you are starting from scratch VW-wise there will be answers to questions you never would think to ask.

Rebuilding a stock bus is daunting enough with years of experience. Building one like you are wanting is a whole different thing. It is great that you already possess fab skills. But you will be combining parts from other years and types of VWs along with at least one completely different make. Educating yourself about what and how to realize that goal will help prevent you ending up with either a pile of parts and a cut up bus or an undrivable POS.

The folks on this site and this Forum in particular will be a great resource. They are ready, willing and able to help you. But you need to meet them on common ground. Look at other threads that are similar to what you want to do. While that may seem like a waste of time, trust me, it will save you loads of time and more money than you can imagine.

Also, we all like pics. Throw us a bone or two. There are a lot of closet Suby guys lurking here.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
There are a lot of closet Suby guys lurking here.

come out of the closet, it's ok Very Happy

a couple of my threads

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561788&highlight=shoot+70+deluxe

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640011&highlight=puttn

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640018&highlight=puttn

it's a ton of work, but well worth it in the end. and if you do a thread, just be prepared for the haters...they will surface, trust me...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

Oh, I have been following your stuff. And I have a grip on the handle. I just haven't had the right bus to do it to yet. Someday, someday.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bus subaru conversion Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
Please start reading the wealth of info in various threads on this site. Since you are starting from scratch VW-wise there will be answers to questions you never would think to ask.

Educating yourself about what and how to realize that goal will help prevent you ending up with either a pile of parts and a cut up bus or an undrivable POS.

X5.... I have seen great VWs destroyed when the owner with great ideas give up and realize that they did not think through the project fully.

You are not really going to be able to just throw some stuff together and make a conversion work well. If you read any threads on air-cooled to Suby conversions you will see the one thing that comes up is that any stock VW tranny will work but not really work. You will want to regear at least any tranny. Also keep in mind that a Bay Bus tranny is a completely different size case than a Bug/Split Bus so you need to know what you are using to beginning with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: