Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Well hello there new forum.
I have been wanting to get into the VW off-road aircooled club for awhile, originally was looking for a baja, but alas almost all the bugs near me are rusting away, so I had to go for a rail.
So this is what I ended up with, It's based off a Berrien frame (made with thicker tubing) has a type 2 bus trans and a VW bug 1600cc. Plan is to get it all running and driving, then title it for road use.

Here are some pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Looks like pretty clean ride. Your passenger is in for a rough ride.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Looks nice. Have fun.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Looks like a good start to having fun....Beware...it's addictive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Are you going to go street legal?

I am in Portage too. Send me a note if you need anything.

Jeff
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

looks like a blank canvas to me. What is that mounted to the frame above the gas/engine? A cooler?? I don't see any lines...
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Is it just me or does that front beam look raked forward?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

Yeah lots of negative caster.... probably a bear to drive...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Are you going to go street legal?

That is the plan.
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
looks like a blank canvas to me. What is that mounted to the frame above the gas/engine? A cooler?? I don't see any lines...

Yeah it's an oil cooler, just isn't hooked up yet.
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out, it's on a hill so that could be part of it, I will have to look into it.
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

So I have been getting parts slowly to get it up and going, also some lights.
One thing I completely passed over when I was looking at it: is the oil filter, I see that quite a few of these engines just have that "basket" type filter. What are your guys thoughts on an oil filter? Should I get one that mounts to the back by the oil pump? or just run one in my oil cooler loop?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

An oil filter is a good thing. Where on the engine are you planning to take the oil out and return it for the cooler?

Yes...That beam is DEFINITELY leaned FORWARD. That's NOT good. It should lean BACK 6-8° from vertical. The lower front axle tube should a little forward of the upper tube at ride height.

That caster issue would be one of the very 1st issues I would address on that car.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Do you think the negative caster is caused by "fitting" a link pin beam on a balljoint beam setup?

DerpyMonkey, can you get a few side pictures of the side, closer to the front?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Do you think the negative caster is caused by "fitting" a link pin beam on a balljoint beam setup?

DerpyMonkey, can you get a few side pictures of the side, closer to the front?

We are talking about rake angle of beam tubes.... Top tube is forward of lower tube, where is real life top tube should be behind lower tube in vertical plane, has nothing to do with K&L or BJ on ends of tubes other than that is where caster should actually be measured......

Its really basic, the tubes are mounted to chassis wrong...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Dale M, do you think that PO may have put the "wrong beam" on the frame and that is the cause of the incorrect rake? Since the spacing is different between LP and BJ; the saddles do not align correctly.

Thoughts?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Probable not.... It was probably just built in somebodies back yard and done wrong.... Appears whoever built is knew nothing about VW suspension and caster angle...

Dale

Sandjunky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Honestly, I would steer clear of home built buggies unless the seller can provide the plans used to build it. Sand rails are pretty straight forward, but a knowledge of the principles of steering and suspension is key for function, just as a knowledge of roll cage design is necessary from a safety perspective. The front end is either needs to be redesigned or somehow retrofitted to remedy the design flaw, both of which may be more painful than its worth, which may be why the PO decided to sell it before he was done building it.

If all the components (Engine, Transmission, Steering, etc...) are strong, then I would seriously consider using the money you are going to spend fixing the problems and spend it on a chassis of your choosing based on your needs and transferring all the parts. Other options would be sell it or part it out and keep looking, armed with what you have learned here. Don't let it turn you off. It is a great hobby. Good luck!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

I don't thick that it was a home made buggy, maybe a kit though. The tubing bends look to uniform as compared to most home built. If you are handy and have a welder, cut the beam loose, and reattach it at the right angle.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Yeah there is stuff wrong with the frame, that will be sorted out eventually.
So I now have a problem, when I got it, the engine ran, but had no cv's/drive shaft. So I got that all sorted out, but now it won't start. I tried replacing the spark plugs, wires, and other electrical parts, but still nothing. So the other day I went out and got a compression checker, says the 2 cylinders have 0psi and the other 2 have 30psi. Just wondering how that could happen, wouldn't think it would start on 2 cylinders with 30psi....

Edit: Well I checked the valves, they seems off, so I re set them, started right up, waiting till tomorrow to see if the pressure changed at all.
Also seems like my clutch isn't engaging, any opinions on a brand for one?
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

So if I have my buggy in 1st and try to press the clutch nothing happens, even if I go and manually press the release on the trans. So i decided to pull the engine to see what things looked like, everything seems good, doesn't seem like it is sticking and the action seems to be moving in and out...
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Does that mean that the car won't drive in 1st, or the clutch won't disengage (stop)? If it won't move while in gear, have someone watch the big nuts on the rear drums. The splines in the drum could be bad - fairly common problem.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: