Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
tubbstravis wrote:
There are plenty of dual carbs on a type 3 in google that haven't been modified. Surely there is a kit.

Yes, but not for your car. As I keep saying, you have an early Notchback, so things are different for you. Your engine compartment is too narrow. VW redesigned it on later Type 3's so it would be wider.

His car is not an early car, it's a late '64. It's a single car because it's a rare N model. The stock soles dual carbs should fit just fine, as I can't imagine that VW used two different styles of bodies based on the outside configuration.

Tubbstravis, I see you want and desire for a race car style notch. You will need to spend $5-$7k to get this where you want it to be and it will not be easy. These cars are fantastic with the stock set up or when you go all out and design an upgraded set up. If you go half ass you will never be satisfied.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Yep. I'm fully prepared to get it exactly where I want it. I'm wanting to go as far as also putting in a freeway trans in it. As far as the engine is concerned, I plan on keeping it stock until I build out my 1900cc engine (which I might make even bigger by putting a larger crank in) but I plan on putting the dual carbs with the Porsche style shroud on it if I do build out that engine. I'm getting ready to have a baja bug on the side so I need to have 2 good engines anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Ah, I see you're considering putting in a Type 1 engine in the trunk. Some reading to look over:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264753
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Yeah. That is the reason I am wanting to convert to 12v so I have more options down the road. I am wanting to really go over the top with it, just over time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So to convert to 12V. I want to put an alternator on. Yall mentioned something about modifying the fan housing, but I found this. https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2183

Are there cheaper alternatives for converting a t3 motor to 12v?
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

You can find that equivalent alternator at an auto parts store and then fabricate your own brackets. Probably be into it about $100 and several trial and error hours by the time your done. Totally doable.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

how about the coil? Will any ole coil work?
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

and as far as the motor that I am going with, I have decided that I am going to stick with a t3 fan housing. I do not want to have to close off the trunk and make the car louder on the inside. My big engine is a t1, but I plan on using all t3 housings on it.
Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Hopefully it's a universal case so you can bolt your dipstick tube to it. Otherwise, all of your type-3 tins/fans will work.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Do a search of this forum, for "alternator conversion". This will give you an idea of what others are doing; there are some threads on this.

A standard 12V coil will work, but if you're going to run an electronic ignition module to replace your points, some of them require a coil with a certain amount of internal resistance. So, decide on which one you'd like to use, and purchase accordingly.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

and make sure the case has the holes for the fan shroud...
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

it does, it has everything I need to put it in, including the oil dip stick place. The engine has been in that barn for a long time and has a little bit of surface rust on the heads. What is a good way to recondition these?
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

so before I buy it...A bug battery pan will fit my notchback's battery pan correct?

also, the only other part of my pan that have trouble are a few rust pin holes along the door. I am wondering if the bug pan is close enough that I could use part of it to patch it? By no means is the whole side bad, its just a few pin holes that you see that are about 6" long. The damage is in the front quarter of the pan
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
so before I buy it...A bug battery pan will fit my notchback's battery pan correct?

also, the only other part of my pan that have trouble are a few rust pin holes along the door. I am wondering if the bug pan is close enough that I could use part of it to patch it? By no means is the whole side bad, its just a few pin holes that you see that are about 6" long. The damage is in the front quarter of the pan

You might be better off contacting ISP West, and see if the panel sections they sell would fit better, or do the job easier. Sure you can make sug pan sections work, but also keep in mind that a bug is narrower, so you might end up needing 2 of each to do the job. I only say that, as I've replaced a bunch of metal on vehicles over the years (see my signature line of links). There's nothing worse than digging into a job, only to find out you're "short"or not long enough in your patch panels.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture of the rear brake assembly like I posted a few back? I didn't take a picture of my other side before I took it apart and I need to verify that nothing is missing.
I just need to make sure the e brake assembly and springs are complete. My side that is in tact is missing a lot.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So I got a ton done today. I rebuilt my brakes Changed my wheel bearings, rand all new brake hoses and brake lines and installed my dual circuit master cylinder AND stripped out the interior of my car to weld up the pan tomorrow. It turns out that my pan is pretty terrible. I've got sections from under both seats to the back of the pan that I am going to do tomorrow. Oh and I installed a new shifter and a new e brake with new ebrake cables !
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

We like pics! Very Happy
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of the rear brake assembly like I posted a few back? I didn't take a picture of my other side before I took it apart and I need to verify that nothing is missing.
I just need to make sure the e brake assembly and springs are complete. My side that is in tact is missing a lot.

Sounds like you don't have a repair book - you need to get one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/083761192X/...%2C+type+3

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Thanks! The back end brakes and lines are done! Including e brake. I have a big dent in my apron that I'm having trouble fixing because the contour, but other than that the body is free of all imperfections besides scratches from limbs on the roof. I am now replacing the back half of the drivers side pan and the full passenger side pan. I am having to remove a rectangular plate from the bottom of the car. I'll post a picture of it. Is it okay to remove temporarily while I cut and weld?

tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So, I have bought my pan halves. Which means that To do it right, I am going to need to take the body off of my type 3 so I can weld both halfs to my pan.

How do I remove the body? Does the motor need to be out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: