Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So back to the build thread. Here is my disc brake setup. I can't put it on till next weekend, but it looks to be just perfect.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Need later tie rod ends? You should.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

possibly, I was just thinking about that actually. I should need them because the year of my car, but just looking at it, mine might fit. In the case that I need them, where would I buy them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I had to buy new pinch bolts that secure the ball joints, since I didn't take pressure off them before removing them & rolled the threads my first time! Rolling Eyes I bought grade 12 allen head replacements from Dorman. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lowlifenotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/serialnumberst3.php
You can check your vin here.....
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I have the brake deal situated now, but I am not driving it yet because I am still in need of some 5 x 130 wheels... Anyone know anyone that would be willing to part with some for cheap? Some temporary stealies would be fine for a while.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

That's why we tried to steer you to 5x205 like original. I'm sorry but steel "spare" in 5x130 is worth more than new fake Fuchs.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

I haven't posted an update in a while, but I am redoing my pans with the body off. The metal piece that the seat sits on that runs across the pan. What is it called and how can I get another?

I have circled the part that I need to replace in the picture below.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I haven't posted an update in a while, but I am redoing my pans with the body off. The metal piece that the seat sits on that runs across the pan. What is it called and how can I get another?

I have circled the part that I need to replace in the picture below.

Some of us call it a rear "kick panel". I'd put in a request with Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) on here, as he has a collection of type 3 parts for sale. You could also try Mike Fisher too as an alternative. Shipping might get pricey, since it'll be coming from the left coast. Wink

Keep in mind that the lower 2 inches of them do like to rust out. I've patched more than I've replaced.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

from what I see in the pic, they don't look too bad considering mine were missing the lower end. I patched mine, ground down the welds and coated it as it's not going to be seen. I think the cost of a replacement piece could be put to use elsewhere on your project but I'm not you and I can't see the whole thing. Joel (Boo Koo) and Mike Fisher are good sources for such pieces.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So here is a quick update on the state of the build! I got the body off of the pan. Upon ripping out the interior around the back windshield i found quite a bit of rust that I am going to have to to fabricate around. I am going to go with 20 guage steel if that sounds appropriate.

I have purchase half pans for each side. I REALLY wish there was someone producing a FULL metal passenger side pan replacement I need the front also. The pieces that I have to put in are the ones from ISP west. They have some used passenger side front pan halfs, but I would really like the whole half.

Does anyone know where I could get the whole passenger side pan in one piece? Also, what is the best way to clean up and remove the grease and the old rust on the pan? degreaser and then just wire brush?

BTW, I am still looking for a complete back seat kick panel if anyone has one. I am looking far and wide for one that isnt hacked up.

Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
I have purchase half pans for each side. I REALLY wish there was someone producing a FULL metal passenger side pan replacement I need the front also. The pieces that I have to put in are the ones from ISP west. They have some used passenger side front pan halfs, but I would really like the whole half.

Does anyone know where I could get the whole passenger side pan in one piece?

https://klassicfab.com/klassicfab1/en/95-floor-pans
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

So when I was taking off the front beam, I ran into some hard times... The drivers side top torsion arm allen bolt rounded off on me... Here is the culpret. How do I approach this best?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

grab it with vice grips. or, since you have a welder, weld a nut to it. buy new allen bolt and nuts afterward
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
grab it with vice grips. or, since you have a welder, weld a nut to it. buy new allen bolt and nuts afterward

I'm with Erik, weld a nut to it.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I'm with Erik, weld a nut to it.

Yup, put the nut that was on it back on it, and weld it in place.

Side note; You do know that you can remove the right side easier, and it'll slide out the left with the sway bar still attached right?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

will these fit my swing axle tranny? For some reason the ad says type 1, but I thought the transmissions were all the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-00-9971-0-Beetle-Buggy...+axle+boot
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
will these fit my swing axle tranny? For some reason the ad says type 1, but I thought the transmissions were all the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-00-9971-0-Beetle-Buggy...+axle+boot

Yes.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

sweet. Their ordered. Another question. I did my front beam over the last few weeks. I was dumb and didnt mark the trailing arm's position.

How do I set the right height of the trailing arms without having a reference mark?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
sweet. Their ordered. Another question. I did my front beam over the last few weeks. I was dumb and didnt mark the trailing arm's position.

How do I set the right height of the trailing arms without having a reference mark?

Unless you have the VW tool (a protractor of sorts) you can't. You might want to wait until you put the body back on, and set the ride height then.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: