Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 notchback build thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: My 64 notchback build thread Reply with quote

Hey all, I am new to VW. It is my 3rd project, but I am totally new to anything older that the late 70s and VW. I have been working on my notchback for about a month now, it runs well and the body is straight and rust free...I am about to be to the point where I am either going to take a go at painting it myself or looking around for someone to do it for me(I am a notorious bad painter).
1st question
Anyways on to my question. I have the 6.00-15 tires on it that were the originals. Is it ideal to put modern radial tires on it? if so what size can fit? Perhaps a tire that I would not have to special order. I have some 225/r60/16's that came off my honda civic is why I am asking.
2nd question
Also, I see a lot of lug conversion plates, will those make my ride not as smooth or should I stay away from those? I need a general rundown on what I need to look for in this part.
3rd qustion
Also, brake conversions. Should I go to disc brakes or should I stick with the drums? If so can I get pointed to the kit that I need to buy? there is so much out there (ive been buying most of my stuff on jbug).
Lastly (for now), How do I get my shifting rod out in my type 3??? I do not have 2 different covers with the couplet in the back like in the beetle. (that I could see).

Ill see if I can't get some pictures up here to document my project before too long. Very Happy

Last edited by tubbstravis on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a nice original early car if it has the 6.00x15 tires. The stock set up offers a nice ride while custom offers style. I normally get my 165/15 from discount tire but it depends on where you're at and what you want. Would be nice to see some pictures of your project
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Type 3 coupler access is behind a plate under the car, not under the back seat like Bugs.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Type 3 coupler access is behind a plate under the car, not under the back seat like Bugs.

Yes, under the car
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my '63 so if your car is newer it may not have that type of shift coupler out back
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
Sounds like you have a nice original early car if it has the 6.00x15 tires. The stock set up offers a nice ride while custom offers style. I normally get my 165/15 from discount tire but it depends on where you're at and what you want. Would be nice to see some pictures of your project

^^ What he said.
The car sounds original. Post up some before pictures. We Love pictures! Very Happy

tubbstravis wrote:

1st question
I have the 6.00-15 tires on it that were the originals. Is it ideal to put modern radial tires on it? if so what size can fit? Perhaps a tire that I would not have to special order. I have some 225/r60/16's that came off my honda civic is why I am asking.

Doubtful. Maybe a 40 series 16 inch, but not 60 series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

On this next weekends agenda, I am putting on a new exhaust, finishing the rust repair on the back left fender and rear apron. Possibly patchign a hole on the bottom cover, and then lastly replacing the shifter bushings and brake return spring. It runs super well and If I have any time left over I am going to sand my fenders.It has all the parts 100% original (1500), besides the driver side mirror and I have seem to have lost that little square plate that covers the generator belt.(its laying around the shop somewhere). the next thing that I am in need of is doing the brakes... This has been a really hard point for me because I cannot seem to find a complete kit (that I know will fit) anywhere! Any thoughts on where I could get a kit? Also, given that my car is all original and a 1500, does that mean that it has the 1500cc engine in it? That may sound like a completely stupid question, but seriously.

[/img]

Last edited by tubbstravis on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

you are not going to find a "Kit" for your brakes.

searching here in the classifieds will net you some rebuild parts and some shoes. They pop up on eBay too

by the way, even though your car looks like a 63, your brakes look 64-65 to me
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

If you have 64-65 brakes there are some wheel cylinders on this site and eBay right now.
I just bought some '63 stuff on eBay and the guy had some 64-65 stuff too:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=wheel+cylinde...p;_sacat=0
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

ahh, I did not realize! How can you tell?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

tubbstravis wrote:
ahh, I did not realize! How can you tell?

I'm old and have been at this a long time?

ok not really. Pinwheel drums vs "flower" style

you probably want to take the drums off and post pics of what's inside to be 100% sure
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Pinwheel

"Flower power"

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Nice car! You won't find much stuff to fit your car at Jbugs. ISP West is the go-to place for Type 3 parts, especially early stuff. Be aware that with an early car, and a Notchback as well, you'll be looking for a lot of unique stuff. Don't be alarmed, it just means you have to know where to look, so ask questions here.

What part of Alabama are you from?
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Arab, currently living in Jacksonville.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

So you're just up the road from me. Cool!

Yes, it would have had a 1500 originally, but there's no way of knowing what it has now unless you disassemble the engine to some degree. Since it's running fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

As you go to replace parts, don't throw ANYTHING away until you know the new stuff will fit and work well. Jim Adney can rebuild brake master cylinders for you, and I think wheel cylinders as well. You can reach him at [email protected].
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Also, what should I do about holes in the cover on the bottom of my car? I am sure I am using the wrong term for that part, but I am meaning the large cover on the bottom of the whole car. I have a fist sized hole on the bottom near my battery... Should I look at a new one? is that even possible? do i patch it? or do people even keep them on there? could I take it off and repair it?

also, I seem to have misplaced a little cover that goes in my engine bay...I do not know what it is called though, it is the little rectangular cover with a clip on each end that covers the generator belt
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

'the large cover on the bottom of the whole car' is known as the 'pan'. You can weld in a Bug 'battery box patch panel' to repair the Type 3 battery box. Gerson makes new Type 3 full 1/2 pans for each side of the tunnel for about $350 each.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

Can you post a few pictures of the interior and engine.n looks to me that you have an even more rare version of a notch. Your car looks like the plain version referred to as an "N" model.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

^ Sure will! Ill get back to work on it on a weekend binge starting tomorrow night going through Sunday. It runs super well now, the only body issues that it has remaining is 2 rust spots, one on the apron and one on the rear fender on the side behind where the bumper covers. Both of those I am fiberglassing. after that, the only thing left besides the pan (which has a hole under the driver side door and some minor damage under the battery) the only other thing is the paint job and seals. and I am going to do the seals once I get paid next week and then they will get here a week or two after that. Then I will paint the car. I want to possibly lower it just a little. The only parts that I need for the car really are an interior kit, a drivers door mirror, I need to find the generator belt cover, and I need to figure what to do with the brakes. I could rebuild the cylinders if I just had a kit with the spring and rubber for each end. If I cant find that, I might just do a disc conversion, but I am not sure which I should do because the value of it being all original, but the way I see it is that I could make that change and just keep the old original parts just in case.
tubbstravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

I know I have a lot of questions, but my project is a weekend only deal so I get a pretty HUGE checklist...

Does the rear apron come off? It seemed as though that it does not. Also, does anyone have a picture of just the apron? I think the wavy part of the apron is bent on mine (because its been pointing back behind the car, and it had a bend in it) I am waiting on correcting it until I can have a reference of exactly how I need to bend it.

My drums are definitely the Flower ones.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideal wheel size/disc brakes/conversion pla for my notchback... Reply with quote

The apron is spot welded on. You can search the Samba gallery to find some good pics.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: