Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions Reply with quote

Hi again guys! I have a 59 beetle but I'm posting my questions here because it shares a lot more with ovals than later cars (36 hp, split tranny, etc). I hope this is ok Embarassed Anyway, I'm looking for a vintage roof rack for my car. I've always liked how a vw looks with a rack on the top, but I was wondering how much it affects top speed and miles per gallon? (My car is all stock) I realize that they WILL be affected negatively, but I'm wondering by how much on average, and also what has been your experiences with them. Thanks in advance!

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions Reply with quote

Yes, I also think that we, the 58 and 59 owners, spend much more time reading the oval forum. Our cars are in fact just Ovals with bigger windows... Wink
Regarding your question: if it was my car with an original hard roof I'll let it as it is. With mine, a 58 original sunroof, I canīt say that the speed or mpg are affected in a way that you can "feel it".
Of course the air drag is bigger than with an hardtop but since those cars are not intended for racing the "real world" difference will be minimal.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions Reply with quote

Flavio wrote:

Of course the air drag is bigger than with an hardtop but since those cars are not intended for racing the "real world" difference will be minimal.

The beetle was not constructed for racing, but it was made to last on full trottle, day after day, year after year.

Thats what one thing that made it so popular back in the days.

I grew up in a 64, my father always had the roof rack on. Ours was quite quiet (made by the norwegian importer), but I have tried some that make a awful lot of noice. The roof rack probably take a few miles off the top speed, but I only use it when I need it. Then mpg dont count. Last time was in 2010...

A picture of my old man's 64 with roof rack on a holiday trip in 1968.
Im sitting in the back seat, remember my dad took this picture Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Flavio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions Reply with quote

Nice pic ! Good old days that one never forget.
My reply was comparing a sun roof with a hard roof....my mistake. Sorry.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof rack - top speed and mpg questions Reply with quote

Stock 56 with stock 36hp engine with rebuilt heads, new valves, etc.

I run a "rag" roof rack, sits a little higher off the roof.

I get around 30mpg, and easily do 65 down the interstate, and 70 if I pushed it.

It will buzz around 50-55.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: