Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Sorry, no schematics, because I build these for sale and put quite a bit of research into getting it right even with a good starting point from old Hyland units and lots of information left by my father. See capacitordischargeignition.com
I use a ferrite e-core as the basis for the transformer just like the old Hyland. The winding method is not for publication, nor are any of the enhancements to the rest of the circuit. If someone wants to buy one of my units, they can tear it apart and reverse engineer it if they really want to, but it wouldn't be worth doing since I doubt my price could be undercut anyway. If I ever wind up the hobby/business, I will post the schematic and the transformer/power supply particulars on the net and send anyone that bought one of my units, a circuit diagram. Fred

Any schematic for how you do your CDI setups? Sounds pretty nice. EI core or toroid transformer?[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Fred Winterburn wrote:
Sorry, no schematics, because I build these for sale and put quite a bit of research into getting it right even with a good starting point from old Hyland units and lots of information left by my father. See capacitordischargeignition.com
I use a ferrite e-core as the basis for the transformer just like the old Hyland. The winding method is not for publication, nor are any of the enhancements to the rest of the circuit. If someone wants to buy one of my units, they can tear it apart and reverse engineer it if they really want to, but it wouldn't be worth doing since I doubt my price could be undercut anyway. If I ever wind up the hobby/business, I will post the schematic and the transformer/power supply particulars on the net and send anyone that bought one of my units, a circuit diagram. Fred

Cool little boxes! I didn't realise you were producing these! 370 canadabucks seems like a nice deal. Totally get where you were coming from on the schematic, if I was building one-off for sale I wouldn't do my competition any favors either.

The transformer I first tried for my design is a reasonably inexpensive E core with rewound primary for bifilar windings, for as close to symmetric drive as possible. Pretty much a generic 240-25.6v pcb mount with the secondary yanked and rewound. It worked fine driven through the center tapped secondary but I figured with push-pull drive better symmetry would be a good idea.

I've tried it with an Antek 25VA toroid (dual 120v primaries, and dual 12v secondaries) driven from the secondaries, and it worked very well and was cooler running. My drive frequency was around 10khz. Using this psu with a bosch style trigger circuit, I was able to successfully trigger it with points on my last daily driver, a 1600SP 61 Baja.

I got about two months out of it trouble free mounted in an aluminum project box under my back seat, but when I rolled the car and subsequently totalled the Baja, I wasn't able (only allowed to pull what wasn't bolted down) to yank the prototype out at the tow yard when I cleaned out the car. I've got a schematic for it on graph paper somewhere, I'll have to dig it out. I'd like to see how well it plays with the TFI module once I figure out my (probably timing related, 009 dizzy) misfire issue.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

It seems the TFI module will allow use of a coil that can exceed the stock VW distributor cap's voltage limitations. That got me thinking about using a different distributor with a larger cap. That would allow for a coil with a much higher voltage output, without getting the arcs crossing over to other terminals inside the cap.

I was thinking about something like this. It's listed on Amazon as a "Top Street Performance JM7650 VW Pro Series Pro-Billet Distributor with Red Cap"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9C8MGO/ref=dra_a_rv_m...a3e59e8a_S

It's a billet distributor with a large diameter cap, and the ad says it's for use with a 6AL (or CDI type box) with an external coil. There's also no mention about the type of advance mechanism, but from the photos it looks like it would most likely have a mechanical advance like the 009. The photos also show two wires exiting the body of the distributor. Details other than that tiny bit of info are pretty sparse. I'm not sure if it could be made to work with the TFI module or not. At $76.90 (w/free shipping) it's not exactly a cheap gamble, even if it is the least expensive large cap VW distributor I've seen anywhere. Does anyone here have any more details on this particular distributor?

If I do end up using a CDI, the one Fred Winterburn makes and posted about looks like a very well thought out option. I might not be able to afford one for a little while though, so I'm still planing to get the TFI module working with what I have for now.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I don't feel there is a need to use large enough gaps to need a larger distributor cap UNLESS you want to get into very lean burn/high MPG tuning, or high powered CDI

There is debate over duration verses current. I've seen arguments both ways. Both that ONLY current matters or.... Longer duration is the way to go.
I tried quite a few coils, both extremes.
IMO, everyday use, I actually ended up at about the same balance as a blue coil, the 75 toyota coil has about the same "slope" on the scope, but much MORE, about 3x more energy. The TFI coil in comparison, was higher current, about same duration as the 75 toy coil, approx 4x more energy than blue coil. Shocked

I also tried a bosche coil that had VERY high amps, but I didn't note any improvement at all, past the first few seconds after startup. And a very LONG duration coil too.
I have noticed these high amp coils are more likely to have arcing problems, burn a hole through their insulators and cross-fire.

Voltage only peaks as high as needs to to establish a spark, so voltage is 90% controlled by your spark plugs.....not the coil.
But current is controlled by the coil..........well, coil and plug gap.
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I've found the voltage actually varies quite a bit, or more precisely the voltage overshoot beyond what certain plug gap should give. In addition to conditions within the combustion chamber that affect the voltage requirement, there is a voltage overshoot. The overshoot is considerably higher with a weak ignition system. Going to a higher turns ratio coil will most likely make the ignition weaker and result in a higher voltage overshoot prior to the gap breaking down. But yes, for the most part you control the peak voltage by adjusting the plug gap. It is possible to have a wider plug gap with a high energy inductive ignition with the same or lower voltage overshoot than with a weak inductive ignition and a narrower plug gap. Fred

'Voltage only peaks as high as needs to to establish a spark, so voltage is 90% controlled by your spark plugs.....not the coil.'

modok wrote:
I don't feel there is a need to use large enough gaps to need a larger distributor cap UNLESS you want to get into very lean burn/high MPG tuning, or high powered CDI

There is debate over duration verses current. I've seen arguments both ways. Both that ONLY current matters or.... Longer duration is the way to go.
I tried quite a few coils, both extremes.
IMO, everyday use, I actually ended up at about the same balance as a blue coil, the 75 toyota coil has about the same "slope" on the scope, but much MORE, about 3x more energy. The TFI coil in comparison, was higher current, about same duration as the 75 toy coil, approx 4x more energy than blue coil. Shocked

I also tried a bosche coil that had VERY high amps, but I didn't note any improvement at all, past the first few seconds after startup. And a very LONG duration coil too.
I have noticed these high amp coils are more likely to have arcing problems, burn a hole through their insulators and cross-fire.

Voltage only peaks as high as needs to to establish a spark, so voltage is 90% controlled by your spark plugs.....not the coil.
But current is controlled by the coil..........well, coil and plug gap.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the module working. Barely lukewarm at idle, warm but not hot after a ~30 mile freeway trip. I removed the unused wire from the plug (which I sliced out of an econoline at the junkyard) and put some spade connectors on it. Working great with a points replacement module. It was misfiring with the points installed, but idles and revs like a whole new car.

It was zip tied in place temporarily, but I am going to make a aluminum bracket of some sort to mount it. I'm going to try and yank a module with the heatsink before I move on to New coils, as I'm running the stock Bosch 3 ohm right now.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I did not realize you had duals. My mounting means would not have been possible for you.

And a general engine picture for good measure

Messy wires I know they'll be gone over soon.

I may try a toyota coil if the're so much more powerful than a blue.
Or a TFI.

Modok, what made you feel that a moderate as opposed to more extreme coil was better overall?

Frank
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

To be honest the the TFi coil and toyota coil ran identical for practical purposes, only reason I went with the toyota was because it is 2 ohms rather than 0.7, so does not use the current limiting feature of the module.
\
The very high current bosche coil did not seem to cover over lean hickups as well, and the high voltage long duration coil was noticeably worse firing cold plugs, so, middle of the road seems to be where it's at for me. I did leave the plugs gapped at .035 and never changed that.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

My car is a 73, so I'm thinking of making a bracket to put it at the test connector location on the firewall, soon as I pull a module with a sink on it. This one runs fine but isn't easy to mount.

Also, is that black module working for you? I almost pulled one but was reading they wouldn't work, the econoline I grabbed my plug from had one on a heatsink that looked to be in good shape.

Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Modok, understood! Makes sense to make the current limiting work as little as possible to minimize stress on the module!

I'm now on the hunt for a coil similar to yours in characteristics. So you're at about 2 Ohm primary and what secondary? The closest thing I found is this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8140?seid=srese1&gclid=CIHK9NDOjMwCFQkfhgodwjMMqw

By the way, 0.035 is quite a large gap, I ASSume the motor runs great at that gap huh? Better response benefits from that?

About the black module, that was bought at auto zone once upon a time. I put it on recently just to see if it would perform better than the grey motorcraft from the junkyard... no difference. Just haven't gotten to replacing it again due to general laziness... same reason my wires are a jungle. It'll be done sooner than later though! Have to buy some electrical thermal conductivity paste to smear the back of it with the heatsink when I do though.

From what I understand the black OE modules work but don't have variable dwell. I don't know much though.

I was looking around for good canister coils that may work well (better/more powerful than the blue bosch), and I keep running into dead ends. Seems like most powerful canister coils don't last very long...

I first was going to get an MDS blaster but read of failures often and about 3 weeks ago I was working on someone's car with a blaster... and it was what blasted the engine's running.

I don't know much about accel but there's not much info out there as far as longevity. that coil I referenced earlier seems to not last.

I have been toying with ordering a Mallory... anyone have experiences with them? Specifically the canister ones like this one...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29217?seid=srese1&gclid=CKfZ9IHRjMwCFUFehgodoPoEiw

I have honestly never had a problem with a blue bosch, but these questions are simply for the sake of experimentation. Wouldn't make much sense to buy any of these and not have a benefit over the bosch blue.

Why do I insist on canister? Looks honestly. I've try to steer away from alternative mounting situations other non canister coils may pose, including the TFI.

-Frank
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Modok, understood! Makes sense to make the current limiting work as little as possible to minimize stress on the module!

I'm now on the hunt for a coil similar to yours in characteristics. So you're at about 2 Ohm primary and what secondary? The closest thing I found is this...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-8140?seid=srese1&gclid=CIHK9NDOjMwCFQkfhgodwjMMqw

By the way, 0.035 is quite a large gap, I ASSume the motor runs great at that gap huh? Better response benefits from that?

About the black module, that was bought at auto zone once upon a time. I put it on recently just to see if it would perform better than the grey motorcraft from the junkyard... no difference. Just haven't gotten to replacing it again due to general laziness... same reason my wires are a jungle. It'll be done sooner than later though! Have to buy some electrical thermal conductivity paste to smear the back of it with the heatsink when I do though.

From what I understand the black OE modules work but don't have variable dwell. I don't know much though.

I was looking around for good canister coils that may work well (better/more powerful than the blue bosch), and I keep running into dead ends. Seems like most powerful canister coils don't last very long...

I first was going to get an MDS blaster but read of failures often and about 3 weeks ago I was working on someone's car with a blaster... and it was what blasted the engine's running.

I don't know much about accel but there's not much info out there as far as longevity. that coil I referenced earlier seems to not last.

I have been toying with ordering a Mallory... anyone have experiences with them? Specifically the canister ones like this one...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29217?seid=srese1&gclid=CKfZ9IHRjMwCFUFehgodoPoEiw

I have honestly never had a problem with a blue bosch, but these questions are simply for the sake of experimentation. Wouldn't make much sense to buy any of these and not have a benefit over the bosch blue.

Why do I insist on canister? Looks honestly. I've try to steer away from alternative mounting situations other non canister coils may pose, including the TFI.

-Frank

I'm curious as to how useful the variable dwell is on our setups anyway. I think I'll pull that module next time at the yard, if not at least for the heatsink.

Honestly I'm a big fan of the canister style coils too, mount in the same location, and on engines without insane need for super high current capacity there's no reason not to grab one that works.

The 75 Toyota Celica coil is a commonly stocked part at most O'Reilly or AutoZone stores, and is usually around 20~25$ or so, after I get reward points buying the stuff for doing an oil change on the Girlfriends car I'm most likely grabbing one.

I'm toying with the idea of grabbing an E core from an appropriate 4-cylinder VW to try out as well, and also yanking the appropriate driver module and wiring pigtail, that way I can play with the hall-effect stuff in the dizzy as well. Dropping the parts into an 009 and setting it up to run shouldn't be a big deal. Grinding a notch for the connector, and having a buddy lathe the shaft to fit if needed... I've toyed with grabbing a hall-effect SVDA out of a rabbit and just chopping the shaft and lathe it to fit the aircooled block, but for the work and time a vanagon dizzy might be more worth the time. It would be nice to get vacuum advance with the hall-effect though...

I wonder if the hall-effect stuff would fit into a cheap SVDA?

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Frank Bassman wrote:

-Frank

I'm curious as to how useful the variable dwell is on our setups anyway. I think I'll pull that module next time at the yard, if not at least for the heatsink.

Honestly I'm a big fan of the canister style coils too, mount in the same location, and on engines without insane need for super high current capacity there's no reason not to grab one that works.

The 75 Toyota Celica coil is a commonly stocked part at most O'Reilly or AutoZone stores, and is usually around 20~25$ or so, after I get reward points buying the stuff for doing an oil change on the Girlfriends car I'm most likely grabbing one.

I'm toying with the idea of grabbing an E core from an appropriate 4-cylinder VW to try out as well, and also yanking the appropriate driver module and wiring pigtail, that way I can play with the hall-effect stuff in the dizzy as well. Dropping the parts into an 009 and setting it up to run shouldn't be a big deal. Grinding a notch for the connector, and having a buddy lathe the shaft to fit if needed... I've toyed with grabbing a hall-effect SVDA out of a rabbit and just chopping the shaft and lathe it to fit the aircooled block, but for the work and time a vanagon dizzy might be more worth the time. It would be nice to get vacuum advance with the hall-effect though...

I wonder if the hall-effect stuff would fit into a cheap SVDA?

Lonh ago.....I put the hall effect in....or helped to....in a buddy of mines type 4 engine. I think.....it came from one of the mid 80s Jetta or golf.
The type 4 dizzy used the same size cap....Bosch 03010....which should be the same for 009.....the Golf difference being only the snap in style high voltage, Beru style wire connectors.

I removed the snap ring and pulled the hall rotor off of the rabbit shaft and then pulled the coil out which was a little tricky.

My buddy installed. It. I cammot remember which way he had to go.....either machine the 205 series distributor shaft (same basic shaft dimensions as 009, bus 025 and many others).....or tack weld in a bushing on the hall shutter ring to fit the shaft. Either way....I remember we had it in the car and running great in a day.

The nice thing was clean triggering and moving to the rabbit module and coil...which should have 48KV to 52KV.

Thie is kind of what I was mentioning a few pages back. With a little fabrication its not hard to drop one into most any Bosch distributor. Ray
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Quote:

Lonh ago.....I put the hall effect in....or helped to....in a buddy of mines type 4 engine. I think.....it came from one of the mid 80s Jetta or golf.
The type 4 dizzy used the same size cap....Bosch 03010....which should be the same for 009.....the Golf difference being only the snap in style high voltage, Beru style wire connectors.

I removed the snap ring and pulled the hall rotor off of the rabbit shaft and then pulled the coil out which was a little tricky.

My buddy installed. It. I cammot remember which way he had to go.....either machine the 205 series distributor shaft (same basic shaft dimensions as 009, bus 025 and many others).....or tack weld in a bushing on the hall shutter ring to fit the shaft. Either way....I remember we had it in the car and running great in a day.

The nice thing was clean triggering and moving to the rabbit module and coil...which should have 48KV to 52KV.

Thie is kind of what I was mentioning a few pages back. With a little fabrication its not hard to drop one into most any Bosch distributor. Ray

This would be ideal in my opinion. very little scatter, no additional modules, nice factory coil, and it should work with the existing cap and rotor. Wonder if it could work in an SVDA.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

More about the coil:
Autozone and o-riley are sold out of old toyota coils. Sorry too late. Autozone still lists a Wells c837, which does seem to be similar to the OE coil, but they are sold out. They have substituted c831, which seems to be a universal coil you can use on most any old car, but, it's not specifically for a 4 cylinder if the application also says it fits all old V8's too.

The way this stuff works these days, is to avoid drowning in dead inventory, when specific parts start to outlive the cars and demand falls the FLAPS drop the price WAY down, and sell as many as they can, and then maybe they keep just a few after that and mark the price WAY up. I think the sale on the toyota coils was missed by a few years, but there is still one NOS one on ebay for 40something, and you can get a wells c837 for about 15$, although frankly I don't have any idea if a wells coil is any good. The prices on old parts do not necessarily reflect the quality......at all, because of the way they make the prices whatever they want on old inventory.

The old toyota coil is supposed to have primary resistance somewhere between 1.5-2 ohms, secondary somewhere around 10k. The tolerances are quite loose on ohms you know. It will say "12v use with external resistor", which of course I ignore and overdrive it! Will any coil survive being overdriven at 2x it's intended current? probably not, but many do. It's probably not the smartest idea, but it's working fine.
The difference between a old v8 coil and one for a four cylinder will be how quickly it charges, which is a matter of the turns and core, which you can sometimes GUESS from the OHMs and feeling how heavy it is....roughly, tho may not be 100% accurate Laughing

A "universal" 1.5 ohm coil won't be hugely different, and may work very well too.
In the 80's toyota went to more powerful module, and coils with higher secondary resistance, around 15k ohms, for longer duration spark/bigger gaps.

I could be wrong, but seems to me VW went the opposite direction in the rabbit era, using lower secondary resistance. Not as large a surplus of those today, as I think a lot of them did eventually burn a hole through the insulator, maybe not it's won fault but they could do that, and they did.

Yes, check out wells C843 for cali emissions 1980 rabbit, secondary 3000 ohms,
that must have CRAZY high current! The C831 for normal emissions looks, more normal.....wait......they retrofitted a universal coil! ha! they tried to fool me Confused

Last edited by modok on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, check out wells C843 for cali emissions 1980 rabbit, secondary 3000 ohms,
that must have CRAZY high current! The C831 for normal emissions looks, more normal.

Shocked

3000 ohm secondary is crazy! Bet that would be nice for boost applications or high compression...

I tried one of those C831(can you tell I spend a lot of time at AutoZone? Lol) not too long ago, and it worked fine on my Baja with 1600SP, H30/31, 205K, and the CDI module I built. Plug gap at .035, non resistor rotor and plugs, and low-resistance Taylor wires, and it was still doing great when I wrecked the car after about 6000 miles of commuting daily for work. Wouldn't mind trying another.

Supposedly E core is "the best" but I'm not so sure... If I can find a decent one that's not HUGE or expensive I would try one, spade terminals a plus to make it easy to swap in and out for testing.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

Yeah, the e-core does seem to be more efficient generally.
I did note some companies sell a, well not really a "E" but a modern looking coil like the one CB is using, for fitting to old toyota 20r apps. It comes with the ballast resistor. And thought......would it survive without the resistor? maybe not. Just looking at it, not much heat dissipating ability would be expected.

bosche did make a e-core 3 ohm and 1.5 ohm coils, it was called the GTsomething-T, and they don't anymore. heat might be an issue and that is why all the open core coils are usually 1 ohm or less.
Most of the E cores are LOW resistance primary and that's probably for good reason. The good news is the TFI can run low resistance coils, of course it's made to do that, and the TFI coil itself is a darn good example of one. Look up the plug gap they recommend for these, it is .040-.050 sometimes for the TFI models. I think .035 is very conservative, but, I don't want nor desire to push the limits of the small cap distributor.

autozone C899 is a round coil that from the specs looks like it would be really strong. For honduhs.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

The high voltage secondary coil from Bosh/rabbit you noted.....is the one I was speaking of. In the late 7ps/early to mid 80s......before NOX regulations got crazy....and mostly Non-cali....a lot of the golfs, jettas and sirocco ran high compression.

The early to middle years hall effect cars had listed in numerous places...55kv as coil voltage. I have also read other listings that noted 48 to 52kv.

Most of those high compression vehicles also listed the triple electrode Bosch or NGK.

Very nice set up. Ray

Edit: just looked in my book.

The golf/jetta/sirocco coil with points lists:
Primary circuit: 1.7 to 2.1 ohms
Secondary: 7000 to 12000 ohms.

The hall effect distributors (several variants)
Primary: 0.52 to 0.76 ohms
Secondary: 2400 to 3500 ohms

And
Primary: 0.60 to 0.80 ohms
Secondary: 6500 to 8600 ohms

Last edited by raygreenwood on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I think that WAS the high current coil I have and ran for awhile, but I didn't even attempt looking up it's part number, germans use too many digits.
It was the only coil I tested on the bench that would throw sparks clear around it's insulator if I accidentally unhooked the wire, like a tesla coil Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I think that WAS the high current coil I have and ran for awhile, but I didn't even attempt looking up it's part number, germans use too many digits.
It was the only coil I tested on the bench that would throw sparks clear around it's insulator if I accidentally unhooked the wire, like a tesla coil Shocked

Bump....Modok in case you missed my edit of the addition of Golf/WC car coil resistances from the book last night. You had posted while I was editing.

The resistances also bring back a huge range of conversations from back in the day.
The big issues late 70s/early 80s with the rabbits and jettas.

They were running points with high compression some cars in Europe as memory served were as high as 10:1....and very high current coils. Lots of issues.....so they went to transistorized hall effect by about 1980/81 had much less issues. Ray
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TFI Ignition Control Module w/stock points/distributor trigger Reply with quote

I know this is about TFI, but if all you're doing is replacing the points as the current controlling device couldn't that be done much cheaper with a BIP style driver?

http://maya-auto.com/wp-content/uploads/bip373_datasheet.pdf

MS guys been using the VB921/BIP373 for years with no issues, seems it would cost less than $10 to throw together a simple circuit to run the coil and get infinite points life. Even if you wanted to go to a reluctor or optical style pickup, the additional circuits probable wouldn't go above $20 total. Just something to think about.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: