Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me use the search function effectively.
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

So I'm trying to use the search box before I start another thread that has probably already been covered multiple times. When I put in my key words in the bay window section search box I get back 25 pages worth of results, lots of them never directly address what I'm looking for. How can I get more specific results for my searched subject? My search subject right now is "electronic ignition". I'm trying to find out how to install, what parts to buy, what experience people have had with them etc.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

check the box right next to the search box that says 'title only'

That should significantly reduce and refine the threads you get back. Also adding models, ie "late bay, early bay, 71 westy, etc will help thin the heard.

For electronic ignition, the main brands people use are pertronix, compufire, mallory.

I run a pertronix in in my Late westy and its been great and trouble free the last few years, Easy to install and set up

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

The search function is great but more often than not you'll find that your information is embedded inside a multi-paged thread or not titled as such that caters to your exact need.

Helpful tips and knowledge:

1. The most recently posted thread with your keywords will show up top.

2. Your keywords will be colored and bold within the thread. Easy to scroll through and look for the bold words.

3. Try to use more specific words. "pertronix electronic ignition install" or "quality pertronix electronic ignition" or "problems with electronic ignition" etc.

4. Just read the whole thread. Chances are the knowledge you gain from all the reading will help you somewhere down the road and may contain information regarding your current project that you have not considered.

Good luck.
'74 Westy (parts)
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:

That should significantly reduce and refine the threads you get back. Also adding models, ie "late bay, early bay, 71 westy, etc will help thin the heard.

For electronic ignition, the main brands people use are pertronix, compufire, mallory.

I run a pertronix in in my Late westy and its been great and trouble free the last few years, Easy to install and set up

Thanks aerosurfer I will try those things BTW what engine is that you are standing in front of in your profile pic? I build GE90's and CFM56-5 &-7.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

I've got a lot of time working on CFM56 engines. I notice your signature line does not include your location. That along with what bus you have is nice to include so people like me can help you better.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

In the lower left of the search page you often want to push the "post" button verses using the default "topics" function. This will let you see a brief passage from the actual post that contains your search terms, verse just giving you a list of thread titles.

You may get even more hits this way, but they will be more specific and you can work through them faster.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

Why isn't "Search title only" the default if it's the recommended way to search?
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

Ok Thanks for the help guys. I made some progress getting more specific results and finding useful information. This was a pretty informative thread-http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497212&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

I'm working on a stock 1971 Westfalia and before I take it on any trips I want to knock out as many potential mechanical problems as possible.
Here is a link to my FB page on the work I'm doing on it https://www.facebook.com/tincantravelers/?ref=hl

And here is the blog of the guy who owned the bus before me- http://71vwbus.blogspot.com/?_sm_au_=iVVr0zNMR6RZzjvR

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

One of the steps I do is use the least amount of words in the search field on my first search to see how many hit's I get while always searching title only. Example fuel pump. That would bring me TONS of theads. I'd then change it to Pierburg fuel pump.

I've learned that putting TOO MANY words in the search line will prevent getting good hits.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
In the lower left of the search page you often want to push the "post" button verses using the default "topics" function. This will let you see a brief passage from the actual post that contains your search terms, verse just giving you a list of thread titles.

You may get even more hits this way, but they will be more specific and you can work through them faster.

This was a good tip. I'd never searched that way before.

Thanks

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

^^^^^^
In the FAQS
How to search the Forums

Funny first time I've seen it. Does not come up in a search.

Tcash
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
^^^^^^
In the FAQS
How to search the Forums

Tcash

It's linked from the top of the Forums search page Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Tcash wrote:
^^^^^^
In the FAQS
How to search the Forums

Tcash

It's linked from the top of the Forums search page Smile

Yea, and us guys are so know to read instruction sheets too. Laughing

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help me use the search function effectively. Reply with quote

airshac wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:

Thanks aerosurfer I will try those things BTW what engine is that you are standing in front of in your profile pic? I build GE90's and CFM56-5 &-7.

That was a CF34 powering the E-170 I used to fly. Now it's the IAE V2500 series on the Airbus for me

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: