Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

This issue is now happening on my MacBook (still Firefox though), however if I wait long enough it will resolve itself.

I guess it's time to say goodbye to Firefox.
TDIvan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

I got on today in Firefox for the first time in a week or so, it doesn't seem to have the problem anymore.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Still happens to me every day, Windows and mac.
I just click on the Classifieds then do something else for a couple of minutes.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schwim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

You might want to give Adblock a shot, if nothing else, just to see if it's one of the ad network js that's causing the issue.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
I've noticed that every time it locks up it's "waiting for cdn.viglink.com".

That is strange, I wonder if you local internet provider is having some trouble with its pathway to this server.

Sometimes you can reset things but unplugging your router for a minute and letting it restart.

This may apply to other people too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

schwim wrote:
You might want to give Adblock a shot, if nothing else, just to see if it's one of the ad network js that's causing the issue.

Tried it. No joy.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
notchback wrote:

That is strange, I wonder if you local internet provider is having some trouble with its pathway to this server.

Sometimes you can reset things but unplugging your router for a minute and letting it restart.

This is not the problem in my case since I am using two different servers from two different locations.
I really think it's a Firefox problem since I also have problems with other websites like my online banking. I have to use Safari for this.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
EverettB wrote:
notchback wrote:

This is not the problem in my case since I am using two different servers from two different locations.
I really think it's a Firefox problem since I also have problems with other websites like my online banking. I have to use Safari for this.

Thanks for letting me know it's not just my site.

I normally use Chrome these days but I have tried it using the Firefox Beta without issues so maybe people can switch to the Firefox "Beta Channel".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockcrawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

I've also been having the problem with Firefox on Windows 10. I almost always enter the site using a history link that appears on my blank Firefox page. That takes me to the forums. I can navigate the forums without any trouble. The Classifieds main page loads without trouble, but when try to view an ad it will not load. At this point it also will not load any other website on any other tab in the browser. It acts as if the internet connection is lost. If I restart Firefox everything works normally. I haven't had the problem with any other site, it is only The Samba classifieds that sets it off for me.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

i have the same problem (windows 8.1 at work and windows 10 at home). Happy to see its not just me.

It does load after awhile (usually 3-4 minutes). And then if i'm lucky, i can navigate the classified without worries.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Hi

Just wanted to add that I've had this problem for a couple of months.

Trying to access a subsection from the main classifieds page sometimes locks up Firefox. If I try to access one of the picture adds on that main page, it always locks up. I have to kill Firefox and when I try to reopen it it says Firefox has stopped responding, so I have to kill that message to re-open it.

Definitely think it's a Firefox issue, but don't know what to change to fix it other than the browser, and I quite like Firefox.

If it helps with diagnostics...

I get this problem at home and work. Both machines run Windows 10. I have Flash installed at home, but not at work (blocked by Admin). I have Adblock Plus installed on Firefox on both machines.

I had the problem for a number of other sites when I was using the Speedial Firefox Add-in at home, but I replaced it with FVD Speeddial and the problem mostly went away. Still get it in the Classifieds here. I don't have the problem accessing the forums though.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information.

Has anyone tried using the Firefox Beta instead?
Just curious.

Jen's computer is Windows 10 and I tried it - No issues.
She is not on the Firefox Beta Channel.
I am, on Windows 7.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Hi Everett

I noticed that I can get in to the classifieds if I kill Firefox when it hangs and restart it - it's like it's having trouble loading something the first time I visit the classfieds page, so I rebooted and turned on Debugger in Firefox.

Below is what it churned out while it was hung up loading the Classifieds page. Not sure if this helps, I can't claim to understand it, but a lot of it seemed to refer to problems loading the Google search box or images behind it Question

Apologies if this is nonsense...

'mozHidden' and 'mozVisibilityState' are deprecated. Please use the unprefixed 'hidden' and 'visibilityState' instead. pubads_impl_88.js:54:131
Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector. default+en_GB.css:93:26
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:233:17
Expected 'none', URL, or filter function but found 'progid'. Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:255:10
Expected 'none', URL, or filter function but found 'alpha('. Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:274:10
Expected 'none', URL, or filter function but found 'alpha('. Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:286:10
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:578:17
Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:812:6
Error in parsing value for 'width'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:1044:9
Error in parsing value for 'height'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:1045:10
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:1241:17
Expected 'none', URL, or filter function but found 'alpha('. Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:1569:10
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2005:17
Expected 'none', URL, or filter function but found 'progid'. Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2027:10
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2135:20
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2146:20
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2148:20
Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2149:20
Expected colour but found 'top'. Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2150:36
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. default+en_GB.css:2203:17
Unknown property 'user-select'. Declaration dropped. classifieds:1:338
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. classifieds:1:670
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. classifieds:1:1042
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. classifieds:1:2005
Unknown property '-moz-box-shadow'. Declaration dropped. classifieds:1:2200
Expected colour but found 'block'. Error in parsing value for 'border'. Declaration dropped. default.css:35:10
Unknown property '-moz-border-radius'. Declaration dropped. default.css:58:20
Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped. default.css:259:6

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Thanks for researching that.
Those look like CSS errors, which I don't think would cause a freeze up as CSS is just commands to alter the look of things like colors and positioning.
You never know though.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

I'm running Windows 10 with FF 46.0.1 I originally thought the issue was with my ISP since I'm on wireless broadband. It took me a while to figure out my browser only hangs once I have selected a category in the Classifieds (i.e. General, Ghia Parts, etc.)

If I have multiple tabs opened, activity on all the tabs hangs until whatever is causing the issue in the Samba Classifieds relinquishes control. This can take up to 2 minutes or more unless I close the browser. If I do that and open a new instance, FF reports the browser is still running and asks to terminate it.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

I've been having the same issue ever since the site upgrade. I'm running Windows 7 and Firefox 46.0.1. It locks up when cse.yahoo is running. The only way I can get out of it is to click the close window icon in the upper left of the window a dozen times until the browser closes, and then start the browser again. I've noticed that problem becomes less prevalent if I wait for pages to fully load before clicking on another link. Not sure what that means. Not happening to me on any other web site.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

Hi Everett,

Don't know whether you've changed anything at your end or whether Firefox or Google ads have fixed a bug, but the problem seems to have gone away for me. The classifieds work fine for me now. Smile

Firefox v47.0

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Classifieds cause Firefox to lock up crash. Reply with quote

I didn't change anything or check it out because I could not reproduce it on the 2 computers we have here.

I am glad they may have fixed it though.

v47 was what I was using in the "Beta" channel and it worked fine so maybe them rolling that out to production for everyone fixed it.
I see the Beta is v48 now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: